PDA

View Full Version : Is there a TabletPC that's a decent tablet?

jimmac
05-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Howdy!

I've been wondering if anyone had any positive experience in using some of the tabletPC that are available on the market as a viable alternative to a Wacom Cintiq? Cintiq is a bit out of my price level (I wish they sold them as they do in the US, but they are pretty much twice as much here). The fact I could take my "artpad" with me and draw in a comfortable position sound tempting, but I don't think these things were really designed with paitning in mind and probably lack precision, tilt and everything?

Does anyone have a positive experience with some device like that?

XYZRGB
05-21-2006, 02:54 AM
I use a Toshiba M200.
There are several true artist here at CGTalk that use the M200 as well.
It works fantastic for both Photoshop and Painter.
I even do 3D with it ( XSI, C4D etc )

It's about time that the computer manufacturers create a Tablet PC with artists in mind.

Most have integrated graphics and low resolution screens. The M200 being the exception.

One more thing : If you are thinking of sketching out on a sunny day ..... forget about it. The screens are very dim even at the highest level.
Seek the shade.

RiKToR
05-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Wacom enabled tablets are they way to go, but a tablet PC is pretty limited on pressure sensitivity and features and will not compare to a cintiq. Personally I am waiting for a wacom enabled macbook pro.

aaraaf
05-21-2006, 12:49 PM
I use both and they both have their advantages.

I love my tablet (Toshiba Satellite R-15) because it's mobile and I picked up one of the specialty pens from Wacom that works with the old Cintiq model which is infinitely better than the little plastic pen that ship with them. The R-15 has a 14.1" screen, but it displays a lower resolution than the M200. Be aware of these things when you check them out. Also, some tablet PCs can't have a pen with a middle mouse button and a right click mouse button simultaneously. There are work arounds that you get used to.

The Cintiq has got greater sensitivity but it's large and heavy at about 20lbs. You really need to think of it more as a drafting table. It'll stay where you put it. It also needs to be really near the edge of the table if you want to spin it on its base.

I do some 3D on my tablet (3dsmax) and some after effects as well as Photoshop, Mirage and Illustrator, but if I did it again I would listen to Vegan and get one with a much better video chip than the onboard Intel that ships on mine. The M200 has a GeForce series like quite a few tablets.

You'll absolutely love your tablet once you get it. As far as the added sensitivity... I dunno. It's there but not always necessary if you've got drawing skill. Bobby Chiu uses a tablet and I've never thought his drawings looked rough.

sonictk
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
I have a Satellite R10, and it works quite well, though its integrated gfx card is a drawback.

But what the heck, it cost like only 1200+ USD, less than what most people spend on their desktops. =)

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.