PDA

View Full Version : WIP Elven Queen Concept

Anariel
05-20-2006, 07:20 PM
My friend and I are writing a book together and I'm also doing the illustrations. This is Queen Aine from our story. I've still got a lot to do, but it's coming along slowly. I've worked on it two days so far..about 6 hrs each day..Her face and hair took the first day and her dress the second. I've still got to do her hand and the dragon, which will also probably take a day each since I've never painted a dragon before and I have a hard time with hands. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

http://midnightcrew.kicks-ass.net/una/AineSM.jpg

Defcombeta
05-21-2006, 03:29 AM
its nicely rendered , anyway i think the face is rather flat or perhaps a bit off, the nose does not receed inwards as it should etc, i like the hair, then again i have a weekness for silver blonds ;) perhaps having some darker shadows in places like the ear etc to suggest depth etc, one good thing to do look at some model photography for the shadows , just let the effect soak in as it were.

still i like the concept , the drake is a nice touch

j mac

xott
05-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Nice Anariel
I really like the hair nice detail and a good simmer fx, you might think about adding some more detail work on the bottoms of her front braids. That dress coloring and the textureing is RICH very nice it has a story book feel. Two things thou the face did strike me as a bit flat but that can be chauked up to style, but i can help but think her elbow on HER left side is a bit too low.
good work non the less - can't wait to see some more

Anariel
05-21-2006, 08:18 PM
I really like the hair nice detail and a good simmer fx, you might think about adding some more detail work on the bottoms of her front braids. That dress coloring and the textureing is RICH very nice it has a story book feel. Two things thou the face did strike me as a bit flat but that can be chauked up to style, but i can help but think her elbow on HER left side is a bit too low.

Yeah, I noticed her front braids need a bit more detail at the end, so I'll start that today. Yeah, I did like the way the dress came out too. That was actually an accident while I was experimenting with layers, but I liked it, so I kept it. I don't see her elbow being too low, but perhaps that's just me. Her face is flat? I take it that goes along with what this person said:

its nicely rendered , anyway i think the face is rather flat or perhaps a bit off, the nose does not receed inwards as it should etc, i like the hair, then again i have a weekness for silver blonds ;) perhaps having some darker shadows in places like the ear etc to suggest depth etc, one good thing to do look at some model photography for the shadows , just let the effect soak in as it were.

The nose does not receed inwards as it should? Can you show me what you mean? I mean, she's meant to have a rather straight nose. Can you grab it and do me a paint over to show me what you think is wrong with her nose? Or do I just need to add more shadow? The shadow around the ear...yeah, meant to add that, but forgot haha. I'll get to that in a bit. I'm attempting to do her hand now and I am terrible at hands >.<

Anariel
05-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Added a few more shadows/details to her hair, refined her nose a little bit...made her dress even richer in color. I started attempting to rework her finger shapes, but they look so fat now. I completely suck at hands >.< I HAD started coloring the dragon in, but he came out looking SO cartoony...so I deleted the color and will have to start again.http://midnightcrew.kicks-ass.net/una/Aine2.jpg

frostblade
05-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Shade the fingers to make them look thinner...sometimes the outlines can be misleading.

Shadowbrooke
05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
I can see that you must like Jason Chan's work :) I think it's rather a nice sketch and the design looks interesting. I'll come back for the updates :) Keep it up!

Kevin-Killjoy
05-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi there. I like it so far, it's very elegant. A couple of crits - the arms are extraordinarily long, elbows should really only go to the bottom of the rib cage. I know it's stylized, but they still look too long!

About the face looking flat, I don't think it's the face actually, but the snowflake shaped piece on headdress is not sitting in the right place, the perspective on it is wrong. I find it useful to draw construction lines to help with things like this. I hope you don't mind, I've illustrated what I'm talking about here:

http://www.cultimage.com/cgsociety/Anariel.jpg

Nice eyes btw.

-Killjoy

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.