PDA

View Full Version : The Weezer

Griswald
05-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Hello all, I just signed up, I look forward to sharing my work with everyone here and learning some new skills. I'm studying Game Art in South Australia, and I decided I should get feedback from people while I'm compiling a portfolio.

This image is a character concept I did for a project called "The Forest of Souls".
Feel free to criticize the hell out of it.

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/225361/225361_1148188069_large.jpg

Naisart
05-20-2006, 05:15 PM
I like it. Especially the ground has some kind of mystic glow too it. Looks realistic in some kind of way. Very cool.

Maybe hinting a forrest in the background would make it more interesting.

Also, I think you should get rid of the black outline and paint the entire image as it doesn´t fit with the BG and it also makes the image look unfinished.

His face is a bit skewd. Expecially the form of his head.

Hope this helps and keep working on it.

Griswald
05-21-2006, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to get past the "paint under the linework" concept art technique that I learned in my course, but I'm not quite there yet. I tend to use fairly loose sketches for my digital painting and then go overboard and try to turn them into masterpieces. This one was a pretty small sketch too, which didn't help it much. When I get the time, I'll probably go back to this and try to fix it up a bit, or make a whole new picture of the same character.

xott
05-21-2006, 06:40 AM
cool concept Griswald, it reminds me of the gas mask men from pink floyd's the wall movie.
I agree with Mumphy on the how the gritty linework of the character doesn't fit with the smooth non-linework of the grass and ground. although I really like the gritty quality that this character has i kinda think that quality should be present in his surroundings to tie the whole painting together. I agree about a foresty background but on that is hazy and foggy, that defining of the background would help to accentuate the misty fog

just my 2 cents but its pretty good

(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=ol1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=accentuate+&spell=1)

Griswald
05-22-2006, 04:52 AM
I actually saw a figurine of one of those gas mask men at a hobby store, I'd never seen The Wall before and I was surprised by how similar it looked to my character. I think I may have been influenced by the cover of one of my Mum's CD's, I think it was the Eagles or something.

I'm working on getting rid of the black outline and improving the shading on the image now.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 04:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.