PDA

View Full Version : City in the Chasm mattepainting

SquarePixel
05-20-2006, 05:52 AM
Hey everyone,

I realize I showed this in the 2d gallery, but I wanted to share this with you all here. It was a matte-painting that I did for a short called Encompass. It was done through a conceptual stage of different iterations to a illustration then to modeling, texturing, and final matte. It was painted at 2k wide then put into 720x364 format. Thanks again Jamie for the invite to the community!:) Hope you like everyone.

http://www.jonathanryder.com/Cityinthechasm.jpg

yellowdog
05-20-2006, 09:10 PM
nice and moody !!

good work.. :thumbsup:

SquarePixel
05-22-2006, 04:31 AM
Thanks alot yellowdog, I could learn a lot from your work.

best regards..

JJASSO
05-23-2006, 08:49 PM
thanks for coming in squarepixel,this is a really nice one, and have some questions, how much time did u spend in this image?
what is 3d or 2d?
keep posting here your work is awesome !

SquarePixel
05-30-2006, 05:13 AM
hey jamie,

Thanks alot again for your compliments on the piece. I actually spent a good 6 or 7 days on this, think somewhere around, 80hrs, not really sure. It had 3d and 2d process to it. Alot more time went into modeling and texturing then the 2d post part. When tried to render the whole scene in maya, my computer freezed-up. So I had to render it out in layers and place in the correct spots. I would really love a critque from you jamie, Benoit ,or Rapael, I really want to improve. Something you would have done differently? I'm open to new ideas..

thanks alot guys!

Heres the model and texture and lighting part.

http://www.jonathanryder.com/cityinchasmbreakdown.jpg

yellowdog
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
I really like your image... Those dark silhouettes have a very dramatics impact on the composition. I love the architecture you designed for that shot.

I think though that you could have had more highlights on some of the buildings to help sell the fact that the sun is setting between them. You don't need huge lighting just some touches of light that help to add to how the building are detailed and their position in space (the left side needs it more, the right one seems ok to me). You couldv'e also added a bit more light spill on the furtest building so that it gets a bit "eaten" by the sun.

Another thing... sometimes when I work in 3D even though my key light is in one place... I'll add a second "inclusive one" to the shot to get the highlights I want. In this case a second key light placed further right would've given you a bunch of nice highlights on the left buildings and all you would've had to do was to paint over them to get them like you want. I'm saying this because you raw rendered frame feels a bit underlight on the left side.

my 2 cents !!!

Again thumbs up !! :thumbsup:

JJASSO
05-31-2006, 06:12 PM
well squarepixel, what would have I done different ? mmmmh

I really like the image and the mood, maybe the river is a little bit too small I would have done it wider to play with it more,take advantage of that element that will draw light in much of the image making the composition a better place to look at, making some river branches you let the eye to travel more, in the image you have at first the path you follow is the river directly to the sunset,but some details on a wider river like some bridges all over the river way , some artificial islands maybe a tower or something in that island
I would have done stronger higlights on the water and on the little buildings roofs as well, and of the highlights one the roofs more orange,
the composition I think needs something really close to the camera just to push away the further buildings and to have a real sense of scale, maybe a really closer building where we see perfectly some windows or details that tell us how big are those buildings
to make it a more dynamic image I would have add some flying traffic, not as much as coruscant but only some of them flying around would make it look live
that's in my opinion and technique, but you're doing pretty well, keep it up

LAZIKAT
06-01-2006, 09:10 AM
waaaaz up man? looking good with that cg award! nice job! seriusly doe, your reel is freak'n awesome! and your matte paintins are sweet..we gotta get together after school is done and work on something! good job dude..go get some sleep and ill see ya on friday, the big day...

SquarePixel
06-02-2006, 05:10 AM
First of all, really want to thank you guys for taking a good look at this to help me improve, these critques were very in depth and something I really needed. Thank you.

LAZIKAT- HEY MAN!! Thanks alot for your compilment, right back at you and your work, its very well done. I'm totally ready for tomorrow!! I'll try to get some sleep, but too excited.

jamesvfx- thanks man I really appreicate your critque on this, the suggestions of the highlight could totally play off your eye directed to contrasty areas to lead the eye better, the part where you said about putting a huge building for scale reasons may have framed the composition better too, and totally love the idea of having air traffic in the piece, it would have the piece have so much more intrest to it. I can't thank you enough man, seriously!!:)

yellowdog- Thanks so much for taking a good look man, I really need critques like this to help me improve. These are really good suggestions. I agree with you about the left side now, it is kinda missing some lighting on the left, and pushing the building in the back so it gets " eaten" by the sun would have put alot more drama to the image. Thanks alot for the 3d advise, I'm still kinda learning that side more. I'm thinking that the intensity of left side wouldn't be as much as directly head on right? DUDE thanks so much man for taking the time to critque.:D

Thanks Again guys I really apreicate it!!

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2006, 05:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.