PDA

View Full Version : AWN: Paperless Animation Production” — Myth or Reality?

RobertoOrtiz
05-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Quote:
"After an almost two-decade stint in the animated feature film industry, I have been re-introduced to the world of television series work, bit by bit, over the last four years. In some cases actually working on an animated television series, but more often as a casual observer, watching my overly stressed-out animation industry friends, who always seem to be rushing off to work over-time on yet another on-going television series with an insanely short schedule. Storyboard artists, character designers, layout artists, animators, effects animators — you name it — they’re all out there trying to make ends meet, in what seems to be an industry of ever shrinking schedules and budgets.

Whenever I hear about the insanely tight schedules that these artists are working on, my head just spins! Shorter and shorter schedules, smaller and smaller budgets, but is the quality of the shows diminishing? Well, sometimes yes, but incredibly, a lot of the time it is not! We have at our disposal today the tools to make quality cartoons, faster, slicker and better looking than a great deal of the so-called “limited” animation of years gone by.

This trend that we’re seeing has taken off in the wake of a staggering plethora of new animation technology, hardware and software, which, for better or worse, has enabled us to create stories, storyboards, animatics, backgrounds, characters, animation and special effects in ridiculously short order. This is much to the delight of distributors, broadcasters, and animation clients of all kinds worldwide, who find that in today’s animation industry, an idea or a script can get from early development, into location and character design, straight into production and actually on the air in a matter of mere months. Projects that would have taken at least a year to fully develop and begin to get off the ground, can now sprout wings and take off in a really big hurry, and at a mere fraction of the cost of an old-school hand-drawn cartoon. "

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2882

-R

Ninjas
05-20-2006, 04:39 AM
An obvious Wacom advertisement. I don't know what makes me more sick; that companies pay people to do this sort of things or that folks degrade themselves by participating in it.

Spater
05-20-2006, 02:46 PM
An obvious Wacom advertisement. I don't know what makes me more sick; that companies pay people to do this sort of things or that folks degrade themselves by participating in it.

I'll speak Wacom's praises with or without them driving a dumptruck full of money to my house

joshmckenzie
05-20-2006, 06:15 PM
It does sound a bit like an advert for Wacom. On the other hand, there is no-one else that offers anything that matches the features of the Cintiq (tablet PCs and pen-enabled LCDs don't seem to have the same pressure sensitivity as the Cintiq). I wonder why there are no other vendors in this market. There's clearly a very strong demand for products like the Cintiq (demand which looks like it's going to continue to grow). Do Wacom have all the patents on this technology? Some competition wouldn't be a bad thing, but for now, it looks like Wacom have the market to themselves.

CGmonkey
05-20-2006, 09:56 PM
It does sound a bit like an advert for Wacom. On the other hand, there is no-one else that offers anything that matches the features of the Cintiq (tablet PCs and pen-enabled LCDs don't seem to have the same pressure sensitivity as the Cintiq). I wonder why there are no other vendors in this market. There's clearly a very strong demand for products like the Cintiq (demand which looks like it's going to continue to grow). Do Wacom have all the patents on this technology? Some competition wouldn't be a bad thing, but for now, it looks like Wacom have the market to themselves.

There are tons of different vendors in the tablet market, but in the end none can even match the quality of Wacom. First that comes to mind is "Trust" which basicly breaks after 3 months of regular usage. Poor junk.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2006, 09:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.