PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Sega sets sights on game giants

RobertoOrtiz
05-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Quote:
"The mention of Sega is likely to spark off memories of playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Megadrive for many.

But those glory days are long behind a company that abandoned its console hopes in 2001, after disappointing sales of its Dreamcast machine.

Instead Sega is trying to reinvent itself as a software powerhouse, building on its iconic games and expanding its range of titles. At last week's E3 games expo in Los Angeles, the company showcased the games it hopes will fuel its resurgence"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4994654.stm

-R

OneSharpMarble
05-20-2006, 02:21 AM
I miss sega but they really need some better titles that appeal to older gamers. Maybe a MMORPG for xbox live or an action title.

Lone Deranger
05-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah.. the console world is lacking with the abscence of a Sega console. :(

It snapped up the London-based Sports Interactive, behind the Football Manager series of games, and the San Francisco-based Secret Level, which is making a new version of the Sega classic Golden Axe.

A new Golden Axe? Here's to hoping it won't be a boring 3rd person remake. Capcom is setting examples on how to remake 2D platformers with their Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins for the PSP. I hope Sega takes notice and follow their lead.

Hawke
05-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Personally I wish they'd get Sonic back into 2D, something like that would be great for Xbox Arcade.

MechaHateChimp
05-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Its all about Alexx Kidd and Wonderboy.

P_T
05-22-2006, 08:49 PM
I want more of Shenmue type of game!!:love:

zeilstra999
05-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm really itching for some more Jet Set Radio. I couldn't put that game down when it was released both for the the Dreamcast and the Xbox. Future was alot more fun IMO.

-KDX-
05-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Sega is still one of the best game companies around, and I hope they don't rush things and show people this...

dreamcast was the best system of its time technically and game-wise...but due to bad marketing and little exposure, the system fell wayside...which is unfortunate because Sega was just getting warmed up imo.

-KDX-

DevilHacker
05-22-2006, 10:01 PM
man... I wish sega would make another console... maybe one day...

JustChris
05-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Who knows- if they manage to pull off a hit after multimillion-selling hit, they might become successful enough to jump back in the console market :)

Boxsmiley
05-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Well come on Sega, the people have spoken,... a Space Harrier remake is needed!

SpiralFace
05-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Personally I wish they'd get Sonic back into 2D, something like that would be great for Xbox Arcade.

Have you tried sonic DS yet?

2D gameplay with 3D models and enviorments. It makes good use of it too. Some boss battles are fought in circuler arenas and the like, and it controls well, but it definatly "feels" like a game that will probably need an iorned out engine in the second one to truely make it great.

But still it's a start.

Womball
05-23-2006, 06:14 PM
A new splatterhouse would be nice, but that's Namco (although I only remember it being on turbographix 16 and Sega Genesis). But even better would be a Skies of Arcadia 2. That game was amazing!

TacoBallZ
05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Well come on Sega, the people have spoken,... a Space Harrier remake is needed!

Even without a new Sega console, I would KILL to have a Wii controlled arcade port of Space Harrier, you know the one with the Flight Stick! oh man, I am getting shivers.....

mech7
05-23-2006, 11:10 PM
:sad: The new sonics are so bad.. would love to see a golden axe though :p

jason manley
05-24-2006, 06:24 AM
there is a new golden axe announced...or semi announced. massive black did much of the concept design for its early stages.

J

dalmanna
05-24-2006, 08:09 AM
there is a new golden axe announced...or semi announced. massive black did much of the concept design for its early stages.

J

i have but one thing to say to that.....AWESOME!

(...)
05-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Blah. Sega does one of these "we're going to come back to our former glory" interviews every year or so. But they always fail.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2006, 09:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.