PDA

View Full Version : New System (good shopping or Not?)

BigSerge
01-08-2003, 06:29 AM
Okay hardware folks just thought I'd drop this price list by you to get your opinions if I did some good price shopping or I could of done better and of course if this is a decent sytem I am putting together. Also on my list I have not yet actually purchased the RAM and Power supply so, if any of you reading this have a custom built system like this one and know where I can get the memory and power supply for a cheapper price, then please guide me to the reseller so I can hopefully save me some more of my bread and butter. Oh yeah and of course I forgot to list that I already have USB keyboard and mice and 2 17" dell monitors (so no piggy bank to break for those items) FEW!!..

Thanks in advance
Serge ;o)

GregHess
01-08-2003, 12:43 PM
I hate to do this, but you did ask. Here's all the components you listed from newegg.com. Remember you'd also save shipping and driving costs, and this system is a bit more future proof, as it includes Socket 604 support.

Supermicro X5DAE, Socket 604 Dual Xeon, 400/533 FSB, AGP 8x, DC-DDR

$515

2x Socket 604 2.4B Xeon's. (533 FSB instead of 400)

$550

Great price on that video card btw :).

Quadro 750XL

$499

2x512 PC2100 Registered ECC DDR (Crucial)

$360

Western Digital WD800JB 80 Gig, 8 meg cache, 3 yr warranty

$110

You said you already had the CD-R and floppy.

Alumnium cheiftech is around $88 USD. Pick a color. (Same design as the antec look alike)

PSU...I went with a vantec 470Watt. (Triple fans) I think this was $130 USD, I closed the damn window before I realized I didn't put the price here.

The total price, with shipping and tax to Maryland on www.newegg.com was....(this is with a gig of ram, and the newer board and chips) was

$2,260.64

Your best deal was on the video card. You got ripped on the board, ram, and hd. If you swapped the video card at newegg, for the deal you found, the newegg system is about 40-50 USD more (I'm taking into account the possible shipping, and driving expenses to purchase your other components) , but with double the ram, and a more extensive upgrade route.

Overall its a great system. Only problem you'll have is upgrading when Intel releases the next set of Xeons. (Their all socket 604 now, the board you purchased is Socket 603....:( )

madyak
01-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Hiya Greg.

You mentioned the "next set" of Xeons... and since I'm going to be in the market for a new mobo, CPU, RAM and video card sometime in the next six months or so I was wondering just what this meant.

I'm currently running a dual PIII 850, Supermicro mobo that's getting the job done (along with the bargain screamer of a video card that you suggested - thank you) but she's starting to show her age. Ideally, I'd like to upgrade around the first part of March...

I've had great luck with Intel/Supermicro so I'm inclined to stick with it - even if it costs a bit more in the short run.

Are there any trends that I should be aware of?

Thanks a ton.

BigSerge
01-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Again the man comes through, thanks Greg, I see what you mean. Gosh darn it pricewatch was my main source, when I searched under dual Xeon with CPU and fan newegg never came up and thrutfully I never heard of NewEgg till I read a few post on the forum and lucky Serge of course that is after he purchased the board *sigh* :( I guess i can only whippe the tears away and keep my head up. Thanks again for the prompt response greg. the only positive thing out of it I guess is that in about 1year and half or 2 I may upgrade to a complete new system and this one will be my render monkey.

cheers
Serge

GregHess
01-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Serge,

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It appears that on supermicro's site, you can do a bios flash to enable support for up to Dual 2.8 Xeons! (400 FSB). So you do have an upgrade path after all :). Past 2.8 Gigahertz though, I don't know if Intel will continue to support the 603's.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.