PDA

View Full Version : Pencil vs Eraser Animation WIP

MikeYork
05-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi there my name is MIke and I am farely new to this site and this is my first post to get critique on my animation. I am working on a animation for a competition and the subject is called conflict.

Here are some movement tests and ideas on how I want the pencil and eraser to move. Any suggestion or critique you may have I would love to hear because I want to make this as funnie and as good as possible :-)

***UPDATE*** Here is a link to my animation

http://www.deviantart.com/view/33229732/ after you go to this page click the button that states "download to desktop"

Thanx for your time

Mike York

itayg
05-19-2006, 08:42 PM
hey mike
i cant access the file i get this msg:

"Forbidden You don't have permission to access the page at http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs10/f/2006/135/6/2/eraser.mov. Please consult our help library if you need any assistance. "

maybe you should try yourfilelink.com (http://www.yourfilelink.com/) it works good for me.

itay

MikeYork
05-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Ok cool thanx for saying that I will change it

**UPDATED VERSION ABOVE AT FIRST POST**

MikeYork
05-21-2006, 03:17 PM
no suggestions or critique?... :-(

itayg
05-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey mike the animation looks nice I like the part where the eraser slides back on the table.
I have a few suggestions:

-about the animation try adding a little squash and stretch to the eraser when he jumps.
And another very good tip i got is never to make your character freeze. You have a few long seconds after the eraser gets up that he just freezes there. Looks like a still frame.

- make the camera ease out or move very slowly after it gets to the point you want it to be. Right now the camera stops really hard right before the animation starts. Maybe you can start the animation before the camera stops. That's more of editing comments but also after you finish the first animation where the pencil and the eraser get up you should "cut on action" to the next scene. Makes the cuts much smoother.

I have a few more advanced animation tips but I'm not sure how far you are into the animation. Are you planning to add more moves to the pencil?

Cheers

Itay

MikeYork
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM
itayg,

Good idea on the squash and stretch Im actually kinda shocked I didn't add some of that in. I love to squash and stretch in my animation:-) Also thanx for the heads up on my long poses I will try and work on that.

I think your other suggestion on the camera moves are a nice idea. I also thaught it looked weird when the camera just jolts to a stop and then my animation starts. I will try and smooth that all out.

Overall Thank you! for your suggestions they are really gonna help make this animation better and I appreciate every one of them :-)

Now I'm AMPED!! to go work on it some more.

VirgilioVasconcelos
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi... =D

I think I's a good idea for your short, and as in the previous post from Itay I suggest the "moving hold" thing.

In 3D, when a character stops it suddenly dies (and the camera is also a character). So, for example, think of your camera as if its being held by a cameraman: will it be completely frozen?

Same for the pencil and eraser. I think they're pretty difficult to animate, since they don't have facial expressions, legs, arms, hands... So you must focus in they body positions and don't let they "die" =D

Looking forward to watch the new version of it!

Cheers

MikeYork
05-28-2006, 04:00 PM
VirgilioVasconcelos,

Thank you for your GREAT! advice and comments I will try and make the camera movement look more hand held :-)

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.