PDA

View Full Version : maya ? - joints elongate when rotated

starla30
01-08-2003, 03:22 AM
ok, when i rotate joints in my skeleton they are deforming. it is most obvious when i rotate the head joint as the eyes (parented under the head) also elongate when i rotate the head bone. when i grab the hand IK and pull the arm, all the joints in the arm up through the fingers elongate and spread out. any suggestions? i find the same sometimes happens with objects where i suddenly can't rotate them anymore because they end up deforming. is this something to do with local vs world rotation? can it be changed? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys! :)
~cris

tom hain
01-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi,

I`m not shure if this is the reason in your case. if you rotate an object and it deforms, the parent object may have a non-uniform scaling. this is because maya applies rotation before scaling.
solution is to freeze the parents scale before parenting an object.
if you want to use scaled joints make shure segmentScaleCompensate is on.

cheers

t

starla30
01-09-2003, 06:04 PM
hmm, i'll have to look into that. thanks for the advice

sp0rk3d
01-10-2003, 12:11 PM
yeah i would have to agree with that answer.. i have seen that before also and every time it has been noon uniform scales on some node/nodes above it in the hierarchy ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.