PDA

View Full Version : WIRED:Virtual Land, REAL laws (Second Life LAWSUIT)

RobertoOrtiz
05-19-2006, 05:53 AM
Quote:
"In what might be a first-of-its-kind lawsuit, a Pennsylvania lawyer is suing the publisher of the rapidly growing online world Second Life, alleging the company unfairly confiscated tens of thousands of dollars worth of his virtual land and other property.

The attorney, Marc Bragg (http://www.chescolawyers.com/) of West Chester, Pennsylvania, says game developer Linden Lab unilaterally shut down his Second Life (http://secondlife.com/) account, cutting off his access to a substantial portfolio of real estate and currency in the virtual world. He's demanding $8,000 in restitution"

http://wired.com/news/culture/0,70909-0.html?tw=wn_culture_games_1

-R

CupOWonton
05-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Oh please let this kind of thing kill off second life.

Peddy
05-19-2006, 08:08 AM
why? people seem to enjoy Second Life, except that poor lawyer. just chillax.

charleyc
05-19-2006, 08:22 AM
This is great news! A possible future that could take all the attention of both hackers and lawers away from the general population. Wow, who would have thought it could have been so simple.

Geta-Ve
05-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Second life is what exactly?

danshewan
05-19-2006, 04:04 PM
http://secondlife.com/whatis/

Can't really see the appeal personally, but it seems to be popular. I barely have enough time in my real life to be worrying about taking on a virtual one.

SHEPEIRO
05-19-2006, 04:11 PM
i like the idea of second life, but have no time to try it, but the storys that come out of it are funny and thought provoking,

did you hear about the mafia boss, that moved from the sims to second life

spikkel
05-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Don't they have courts in Second Live for stuff like this?

I mean, how can they call it a virtual world without lawyers, hookers, traffic cops, serial killers and/or similar creatures.

There should be no need to chicken out to the "real world"...

swardson
05-19-2006, 04:51 PM
looks like eminent domain is making it to the virtual world as it is in this one :) I mean honestly, this is rediculous. I forsee humanity eating itself alive with this outlandish stuff. Brave New World here we come.

-B

CupOWonton
05-19-2006, 06:04 PM
So if I i get banned from Guild Wars or WoW they should reimberse me for all the extremely rare and pricy items I had gathered based on how much they could be sold through online trading.

EpShot
05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
you deserve the right to have that reviewed by the courts. people haev killed over ingame items. at little rediculous if you ask me. but so is the value of some stamps collection. (apt prices in LA)

BigJay
05-19-2006, 07:44 PM
can you imagine what would happen if the server died. class action lawsuits...

CupOWonton
05-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Here's how Second Life works.
Its an inbetween of all the perverted and possibly illegal crap in real life, and the perverted and possibly illegal crap online. It all comes together to create this vortex of sickness that just should not exist.

rls669
05-19-2006, 09:04 PM
vortex of sickness that just should not exist.

Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out :thumbsup:

rootdown
05-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Second Life hit on the winning formula: users will embrace a virtual world that looks terrible and runs terribly, provided they have absolute control over and customizability of their environment and avatars, and can create whatever they want in it. Even if the editing tools are terrible.

All that said, the moment they allow imported geometry, textures, and animation from extracurricular editors (I am not counting Poser here), and geometry that isn't composed entirely out of primitives, I will be glad to get all up ins. There's gold in them thar hills, after all.

Cronholio
05-21-2006, 11:41 AM
So if I i get banned from Guild Wars or WoW they should reimberse me for all the extremely rare and pricy items I had gathered based on how much they could be sold through online trading.

The difference here is that exchange of in game currency for real world dollars is actually part of the game and is part of the business model of the company running the game. What happened here is akin to paypal freezing someone's account and keeping their money.

JeroenDStout
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Here's how Second Life works.
Its an inbetween of all the perverted and possibly illegal crap in real life, and the perverted and possibly illegal crap online. It all comes together to create this vortex of sickness that just should not exist.
You had me at hello! Where do I sign up?

csven
05-21-2006, 07:06 PM
What's most interesting about SL isn't the graphics. Or the animation. Or the things people here usually think about. It's mostly (for me) a preview of what the 3D internet might be and what happens when people use an immersive environment to interact in a way that's unique to anything out there now.

I don't spend time with it because it's a great 3D experience; it's not. I spend time with it because it's preparation for what's to come. It's the flip side of the PLM software that's rapidly evolving and which has swallowed CAD. And just like how highend graphics cards (e.g. Evans & Sutherland) and low-end game cards merged, so will PLM and MMOGs.

mechanical pencil
05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Don't they have courts in Second Live for stuff like this?

I mean, how can they call it a virtual world without lawyers, hookers, traffic cops, serial killers and/or similar creatures.

There should be no need to chicken out to the "real world"...

I remember reading a article somewere about how second life had prostitutes and private investigators to see if your virtual spouse was using them.

flipnap
05-21-2006, 09:16 PM
wow.. so uh, what happens if an online terrorist decides to hack up and destroy the "second life" world leaving nothing but a virtual blank.. do all the people who have money invested just wash their hands and move on? sound like a pretty risky endevour.. i have plenty of "real world" things to blow my money on..

CupOWonton
05-21-2006, 09:31 PM
One can only hope when everyone has invested tons of money into SL, the servers, along with any traceable backup is obliterated along with everyones records, thus forcing whoever has the money account to have to give it all up to the government, and everyone stupid enough to have invested in it is left with nothing.

fattyLees
05-22-2006, 01:02 AM
why? people seem to enjoy Second Life, except that poor lawyer. just chillax.

Ugh...
That word... "Chillax". I F'ing hate it. There aren't many things in life I hate, but that word is definately one of them.

Sorry for the rant.

dalmanna
05-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Ugh...
That word... "Chillax". I F'ing hate it. There aren't many things in life I hate, but that word is definately one of them.

Sorry for the rant.

dude chillax :twisted:

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 01:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.