PDA

View Full Version : 28 days later, matte painting WIP

yellowdog
05-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Hey guys, I've hit a little down time since the E3 rush is over... So I tought it could be a great time to scrounge through my WIP folder and finish something. This is an image I started a while back in order to construct a matte painting tutorial for my web site I'm presently building.

It's based on an idea I had a while back (actually walking home from watching the movie 28 days later at friends' house...) where I wondered what my home town would look like if it had gone through the same situation as in that movie. So last summer (finally !!) I set off with my digital camera and grabbed myself a bunch of raw plates from around town...

At this point I'm basically destroying the city and working on overall mood... haven't gone around to the lighting yet. There is still a lot of destruction to do in the back part also.

So what do you guys think? ... feel free to comment or give ideas !! I'm open to suggestions.

yellowdog
05-19-2006, 01:55 AM
ok sorry for the newbie post (It's the first thread I start)...

I've looked and couldn't find.
Is there a way to get my image showing in the thread like in the 2D finished gallery instead on a clickable thumbnail? Please tell me and I'll edit my post... It would look lot better.

thks !!

SquarePixel
05-19-2006, 03:45 AM
This is looking awsome yellowdog!,

Wonderful idea man, right now the image is in a great stage, I would love to see more mood in it, kinda a ominous looking destruction. You know what would be cool, just a suggestion, but maybe some trashcans which have fire in it, like for homeless people which live there. This may give it more of a story. Love the direction of where your going with it.

Can't wait to see the final image.:thumbsup:

softdistortion
05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice work! :thumbsup:
to answer your image question. you need to have a place to upload your image and then put the URL link to image inside the tags to wrap it so it will display in your post rather than a thumb.

yellowdog
05-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Thks guys for the feed back...

SquarePixel: I like where your idea is going... it's similar in a way to the Xmas lights on the balconny episode in the movie. A touch of life a bit out of place that grabs the attention. I'll work the mood a bit more and post something later today. I was thinking of pushing the color palette towards a green - sickish tone to mimmick the zombie theme.

softdistortion: Cool !! thks... Now I'll have to get my site up and running (extra motivation right there...) !! :)

JJASSO
05-19-2006, 04:40 PM
welcome yellowdog, this matte is really great, I love the details and of course I will look forward for the final version, the mood is really good, but some dust could help to the hazy look , I agree with you that it needs some lighting , it is too flat in some buildings . overall it is great,
how did you create that rounded perspective?

georgenz
05-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi Yellowdog,

Just a quick query... Does Ubisoft allow it's employees to post work from current working titles on the internet? I was just curious as I don't think we can at my work. If so, that's pretty awesome of them. Nice pic too. :)

yellowdog
05-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been answering earlier... was painting away on the matte. I should have an update by the beginning of next week (I want to put a max of details in those buildings and the original format is over 5K... so it's taking a while!!!).

Thnks again for the great feedback!

to answer your questions:

jamesvfx: The rounded persperctive is the result of the sequential pics I used to produce my starting raw plate. Since I didnt have a tripod when I shot them they where pretty uneaven. I started playing around with them in Photoshop with the photomerge function... Photomerge gave me a half decent stich that I then tweaked by hand (I chose to keep the layers separate option). Just assembling my raw pictures would've given me a very fish eye vista, wich I didn't want. I'm attaching a pic that shows a little how I did it.

georgenz: Since I work in the cinematics dept. and not on the game itself, once the work is released to the public (in this case, once the assassin trailer was made public on the net) I was allowed to post what I did on it. It would be very different for any "game" asset.. as long as the game hasen't come out, everything stays under sceal. Trailers are a little like independant productions that share the theme of a game... but not necessarly part of the game itself. When it come this thread's matte... we'll that's a personnal project so I'm free to do with it whatever I please ;)

SquarePixel
05-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Thats really cool! Thanks for sharing this.

georgenz
05-22-2006, 06:47 AM
Cool Yellowdog. Thanks for answering the question. Sounds like a great job to have.:)

yellowdog
05-24-2006, 02:49 AM
hey guys... sorry if I haven't answered earlier. It was a long weekend here in Canada. (stayed away from the computer all weekend)

Here is an update, more buildings smashed... color correction to the mood and environnement was also added. I'm starting on the far city to the left tomorrow, also adding my first lighting and shadow pass.

comments and crits are welcome !!

SquarePixel
05-30-2006, 04:42 AM
This is turning out really soild so far yellowdog, thanks for sharing this with us. I never really seen the process of decontruction of matte before. Do you think we could get some close ups of the decontruction?:thumbsup:

yellowdog
06-02-2006, 10:30 PM
hey guys... here's an update.

Went in another direction then I had first tought with the lighting... tried to make it a bit moodier (from rainy day to smogish / smokey). Still a lot of work to do on the FG and to the overall smoke and haze.

What do you think? Comments and crits welcomed !!

yellowdog
06-02-2006, 10:40 PM
hey SquarePixel... here are a few details from the image (the clips are at 100% res)
enjoy !!

sandrum
06-03-2006, 06:03 AM
WOW! That's looking fabulous!!

Xdreamer79
06-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Wonderful mood and composition here. Any tips how you achieved that detailed destruction on the buildings? Painted or did you used other stocks?

yellowdog
06-03-2006, 05:17 PM
The destruction is both painting and a mixed base of distorted footage from the net with a lot of painting over. In this case I used the stock material to obtain the random little details that help make stuff more realistic... I then added and removed from that base by painting over to get the result I wanted. For the burned effect surrounding the damage, I find that the chalk bursh in photoshop does wonders. Use it at a lower opacity and work by varying the brush size and by accumulation and it gives excellent results. Looking at references from fire damage helps during that step. :)

hoping this answers you question...

SquarePixel
06-05-2006, 02:14 AM
DUDE Thats awsome! Do you find yourself using the color dynamics for more variation? Or does the "chalk brush w/ lower opacity" itself do enough? Very good work man! Thanks man for posting this, I've been learning alot!

As a critque, this is just a suggestion, the middle ground building and the forground building seems to look like it's not seperated enough on the left, but it might be caused from the bloom of the light.

FREAKING AWSOME MAN, I can't wait to see more!:bounce:

yellowdog
06-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I rarely use the color dynamics outside of smoke or clouds painting... the lower opacity gives me the option of building the density I want while keeping a bit of the underlying color. For me that's enough.. I find the color dynamics a bit hard to control at times. The combo of opacity with grain given by the chalk brush usually is enough.

hope this is making sense... ! :)

Xdreamer79
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Now I have to find this brush with the settings and I can start painting clouds, yippie

Edit: thanks for the tip with this brush. It works better than I thought :=)

yellowdog
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
If you want to go for clouds and smoke, you should use a brush a bit softer, the chalk texture might give you grainy results. It's awesome for dirt and grime though !

Use a softer brush with a bit of color variation dynamics on it and you should get great clouds or smoke :)

Xdreamer79
06-05-2006, 09:18 PM
It is really not my attention to hijack this thread but any possibilities to use the chalk brush with softer edges? Seems like I am to stupid for the brushengine of photoshop :-(

yellowdog
06-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Just go in the dual brush setting and switch the 2nd brush to something with a softer edge ;) then play with the scatering for some interesting results !! You can also alter the BG texture under the texture tab to something more or less grainy. Don't worry the brush editor need a little time to get used to (it still makes me swear once in a while... that's why I often go and grab some brushes from the net and modify them to fit my needs. A lot of great ones out there)

hope this helps...!

yellowdog
06-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Here's today's update... I trying to get this piece out very soon. More smoke and fog details in this one. I also brought the color palette towards something a bit more sickly instead of the warm tones I had before. I think it fits the zombie theme better then the warmer palette. Also tried some more dramatic lighting and a darker FG... Not intirely convinced with this new direction (this is the fun thing I find with personnal projects... trying stuff out !!). I think it needs fill light of some sort. Going to sleep on it and I'll see tomorrow!!

What do you guys think? any comments? ... suggestions?

JJASSO
06-06-2006, 03:20 AM
yeallowdog this is a really pro image you've got, I don't think you need some fill light, the exposure is correct, the desolation feeling is awesome, looks great, I love the detail of smoke and dust it fits perfectly in the right far scale making this a great job, I would like to see this animated hehe but , I ok with this piece, congratulations man your progress in the whole process was very succesful.

Xdreamer79
06-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Just go in the dual brush setting and switch the 2nd brush to something with a softer edge ;) then play with the scatering for some interesting results !! You can also alter the BG texture under the texture tab to something more or less grainy. Don't worry the brush editor need a little time to get used to (it still makes me swear once in a while... that's why I often go and grab some brushes from the net and modify them to fit my needs. A lot of great ones out there)

hope this helps...!

A big thanks for this explaination. Appreciate it really since I am a totally newbie in things with matte paintings. Will play a lot more with the brushes from photoshop I guess, thank you.

yellowdog
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
jamesvfx: thnks Jaime ! a few more things here and there to fix in the image and I'll post the final version soon. I've got all the setup done for camera projection of this pic... I'll have to wait for my site to be up to make an animated version available. I also have a more detailed "making of" wich will be posted at the same time.... thnks again for the feedback ! :)

Xdreamer79: no problem !! glad I could give you a hand !!

yellowdog
06-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Here's what's probably one of the last updates before it's done...

Added a bit more light and details in some places. Also switched the palette in the BG to something that ressemble more a sooth filled atmosphere. Too much fill light in the FG was distracting the eye so I kept the elements darker.

comments and crits welcomed !!

yellowdog
06-08-2006, 01:10 AM
thanks again for the support and the good comments guys !!

Just posted the final one in my portfolio and the finished 2D thread !!!

hope you like it :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2006, 01:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.