PDA

View Full Version : NEXT GEN: Nintendo's Iwata Skeptical of In-Game Ads, Episodes

RobertoOrtiz
05-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Quote:
"Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata is not confident about the allegedly golden future of in-game advertising, and episodic content.

In one of the few post-E3 interviews to deviate from Nintendo's expand-the-market-through-innovation mantra, The Street's Troy Wolverton (http://www.thestreet.com/_tscs/tech/gamesandgadgets/10286288.html)steered Iwata onto the subject of micro-payments and advertising. "If you ask me whether that kind of approach can become the huge, main resources for the huge, main revenues in the future, I'm not optimistic, actually," said Iwata.

He added, "Asking customers to pay something monthly, or something periodically, we can never expect that kind of revenue to become the significant, main resources for Nintendo."

Despite Nintendo's adherence to disruptive-thinking, the company is clearly wedded to the concept up-front single payments for product as its main revenue source."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3033&Itemid=2

-R

Cronholio
05-19-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't know if it will pay off for Nintendo, but I agree with the approach they are taking. They are the only company that seems to be interested in making games anymore. Sony and MS are trying to sell their consoles based on features that have little or nothing to do with games and seem to be more concerned with figuring out ways to generate other revenue streams and nickle and dime their customers to death rather than just making decent games.

MECHALEX
05-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Am I being naive in thinking that this has something to do with that oft-cited but rarely glimpsed idea of a company ethos?

Nintendo has always projected an innocence and joy about gaming, even the most grisly of games were an entertaining escape whereas Microsoft and Sony have a harder, more corporate edge. Ultimately they're all attempting to make a profit, I'm not so naive to think Nintendo are working solely for society's benefit but their overall approach to game design, marketing and so forth are gloriously wistful and whimsical. Sony and Microsoft, by contrast are much more obviously slaved to the ad agency with branding exercises like 'The Third Place'...even Sony's in-house magazine is called 'Blue Sky'.

It's very subjective to discuss the perceived ethos of entire company and these are often at odds with the reality (just look at happy, lovely, baby-killing Nestle) but this does seem indicative of Microsoft's and Sony's approach.

kmest
05-19-2006, 10:01 AM
They are the only company that seems to be interested in making games anymore. Sony and MS are trying to sell their consoles based on features that have little or nothing to do with games

i think that'll be Art vs. Bussiness

MECHALEX
05-19-2006, 10:20 AM
i think that'll be Art vs. Business

True, but there has always been a tug-of-war between the two with no clear winner.

I worked as a videogame artist for four years and I hardly think what I did qualified as art. As dated as the expression sounds I feel that it is more of a craft. The reliance on technical illustration, precision and a touch of a inspiration (or bodging!) certainly qualifies it as such...but that's a semantic debate for elsewhere.

In this case, the consumer base is so huge there would appear to be room for invention, or the more movie-led, slavish regurgitation of hackneyed concepts like Sony's approach.

SHEPEIRO
05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
i think its a good appraoch, i see the difference between the two methods like Films and TV

sure both make alot of money, but films are more prestigeus (sP) etc, and i dont watch much TV:scream:

noisewar
05-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Like their stance against online gaming just two years ago, this is a serious mistake, but also an attitude that won't last. Nintendo loves to draw lines in the sand, but fortunately will abandon such nonsense if need be. I think the best way to look at Iwata's statements is that he's not against episodic content per se, but doesn't see it as part of Nintendo's strategy, which is completely fair.

SHEPEIRO
05-19-2006, 10:59 AM
i dont really see episodic content being a mainstay of their agenda either, they seam to be looking at quick to get into games, that most people will play for half an hour at atime. and as most people (target audience) wont finish their games quickly (ie wont play for 8 hours a day) i dont see them regarding extra ( time investment wise) content as a good market.

but they may well provide extra mini games as downloads for sommit like super monkey ball or smash bros, this is find more likely.

but i also see them giving this content away for free, to get more people to buy the game in the first place,

welll see

and i really hope they dont start using advertising, thats why i dont watch much TV, and would put me off games quite alot.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2006, 10:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.