PDA

View Full Version : walkCycle WIP

inbata
05-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Hey..

I've been working on a walk cycle, it's actually part of my final project for school..
I've had some troubles with the hands movement, it was'nt as easy as it seemed at the tut :)

Right click --> save as..
http://www.savefile.com/files3.php?fid=1752846&key=295604

What do you think?

morphius-ms
05-18-2006, 05:18 PM
ok I've looked at your walk cycle and I think that the legs are looking good. I'm not sure why the pole vectors are moving so much... and It looks as though you are having problems with your rig (specifically your left arm) If I'm am looking at this correctly it looks as though the arm doesn't go backward. It goes to a certain point and stops. That may be a problem.

Ok since it is supposed to be a work in progress you may be fixing this. but the sholders are supposed to rotate around the Y axis (going by the axis on your playblast) and the hips are supposed to rotate around the Z axis (slightly) that will ad more life to your character, and weight, she looks as though she has almost no weight right now. Not to mention bending the spine just a bit.

Ok to fix some of the arm movements (first do you have any references, if you don't maybe you should look up some). Also some of the movements even on your right arm don't look as though they ease in or out that will help when they get to the extremes they need to ease in and out (you don't have to re animate them just go into the graph editor and change it that way ). I usually find it easier to animate on two monitors (have the main window on one and the extra windows on the other. It helps out alot (don't know if you have two monitors or not). Though you can still animate on one.

I hope this helps.

inbata
05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
morphius_ms thanks for your comments, it really helped :)
I looked it up and it turns out i do have some problems with the rig. the upper body is not weighted properly, especially at the shoulders area..
I hope to get to it soon and then i'll try moving the hands using FK instead of IK.

Do you know any good ref site? all i could find is images of the lower body and none for the upper body..

inbata
05-22-2006, 04:28 PM
I've worked on the hands movment, I used FK insread of IK this time.
I hope it looks better now.

Right click --> save as..
http://www.savefile.com/files3.php?fid=5004986&key=638733

How can I smooth the hands movment using the graph editor? I tried using clamped tangent but it didnt worked..

C&C are welcome..

morphius-ms
05-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Ok guys, especially inbata, here is a link to a walk cycle tutorial, it is for 2D but the same thing could be used in 3D.

http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

hope this helps.

About the graph editor.

Try flat (it will make the curve flat). If you have ever worked with a bezier(spelling) curve before there should be no problem but I am going to assume that you haven't worked with a bezier curve before.

to change it to flat (and I am assuming you are using maya [I don't have 3DS max sorry]) you can either go to the top of the graph editor and click the black line that is flat, (this will change it to flat) this is a good starting position for any animation.

Now as you may have already noticed each point has a bar going through it. on each side of the bar controls how much that point influences the curve on either side of it(kinda like NURBS). on default if you move one you move the other. but you can change this by going up to the top there is a V shaped button with a blue bar on one side and a brownish red bar on the other, this breaks the bar in two and you can move each one independantly.

if you change the curve look at it through your animation and don't forget the ease in and ease out rule: (if you don't know it) almost all actions have an ease in and an ease out to make them look natural.

Hope this helped

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 05:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.