PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Creator of 'Doom' has a 'sneaky little plan'

RobertoOrtiz
05-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Quote:
"PC programming whiz John Carmack sees a big future in cell phone games, but a lurking disaster too.

John Carmack's hobbies probably aren't a lot like yours.

He spends two days a week building rocket ships. His idea of a getaway weekend consists of holing up in a hotel room and writing programming code. And he likes to speculate on worst-case scenarios for the video game industry (and believe me, this guy can envision some scary stuff)."

>>LINK<< (http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/17/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes)

-R

mech7
05-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Yes the Nokia N-Gage was such a big succes :shrug:

zerhoe
05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
having worked in a mobile phone shop, i think the n-gage was marketed incorrectly. sold as a mobile, with games, and placed in mobile phone stores.

wrong on both ends methinks. should be targeted at the true hand held market with the bonus of a mobile phone. plus it was too big.

DDS
05-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Ngage was an awesome option but using it as a mobile phone looks so weird...

usually mobile phones go for style, but ngage is so lame...I remember the first time they phonecalled my friend who had a N-Gage...that was ridiculous!! I wouldn't buy it for that reason

Btw carmack is a visionary, I think he's right :) That cathastrophical game engine virus was a bit off the road though :P

Bliz
05-18-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not convinced. I've done graphics for a few mobile phone games and the platform is too limited in the medium term future. Plus the industry [internationally] won't standardise on hardware, OS or API.

An old skool stle RPG with MMO trappings could be interesting to play though.

I think John's Doom RPG and Orc's and Elves, with all due respect, were only published and marketed so widely because they were written by John 'Mr Id' Carmack. There are a lot of similar mobile games out there.

albedo4800hp
05-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Why does this guy not make us all a favour and start concentrating more seriously on his rocket building project instead of writting and commenting bollocks all the time. If he had done so maybe he would have won the XPrize and not Scalled Composits.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2006, 07:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.