PDA

View Full Version : Aardman's Flushed Away TRAILER!

RobertoOrtiz
05-18-2006, 03:09 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/flushedaway/
-R

Breinmeester
05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Brilliant! Love the style, love the characters, love the humour. That Cg claymation feel works very well!

ThomasMahler
05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Can't say that I like that one - Doesn't feel 'Aardman' to me. And the jokes are quite... yeah.

AdamHerbert
05-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Looks pretty good. I agree with jokes being a little....stale, but I think it definitley has some potential.

Zephyrpower
05-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Looks like a promising film! I like where the story is going and I think the CG animation is well-done but it still doesn't feel Aardman enough. It would've been nice if the stuck to more of the original feel with the claymation and the jokes. One of the problems is that it looks to clean and not that much like real clay!

playmesumch00ns
05-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I thought this had basically nothing to do with aardman and aside from the character design was a dreamworks picture?

Animation looks OK i spose, but the lighting is terrible. dull dull dull. Looks like everything's got a lambert shader on it, with the occasional plastic highlight.

Ls3D
05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Looks like it was rendered in vray! I may get boared enough to see it.

-Shea

Bliz
05-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I thought it looked boring while he was in his 'pad' and yeah the lighting was a bit dull, looked like a beginner had lit it with pure white lights...
...but once he get's 'flushed away' the film looks pretty promising. I like the little Nemo joke and the squeeky slug at the end of the trailer.

rootdown
05-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Gosh, I had no idea Aardman was responsible for Shrek and Madagascar.

beaker
05-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I thought this had basically nothing to do with aardman and aside from the character design was a dreamworks picture?

Animation looks OK i spose, but the lighting is terrible. dull dull dull. Looks like everything's got a lambert shader on it, with the occasional plastic highlight.The directors/producers of the movie are from Aardman. They wanted it to look similar to clay which is why the shaders are a little flat.

beaker
05-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Gosh, I had no idea Aardman was responsible for Shrek and Madagascar.The movie is from Dreamworks, who produced all the Aardman movies and all the animation is being done at the Dreamworks facility.

Papa Lazarou
05-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I remember reading an interview with Henry Selick where he said he hadn't tried to get a deal with Dreamworks because "Katzenberg's fingers were over everything" and directors didn't get enough creative input.

When I look at this trailer, I see Katzenberg's fingers all over it. It feels more Dreamworks than Aardman. Not saying I know if it'll be good or not, but I'm not crazy about it so far.

A few other things: How has one pet made the other 2 his own personal butlers? Is it set in Britain or America? The rats seem to think they're british despite the pets' owners' american accents.

SheepFactory
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
This is the movie I am most looking forward to this year , Aardman directors can do no wrong. :love:

dalmanna
05-18-2006, 10:58 PM
looks pretty cool to me:thumbsup:

jakiloblanco
05-18-2006, 11:07 PM
I think this is gonna be great!:D

And I think the resemblance to Dreamworks really hits when that fish is in buddy's hands...
But aside that .. looks fun!!

flipnap
05-19-2006, 12:27 AM
i was a bit thrown off that there was such a mix of styles of animation.. the mouths on twos, bodies on ones, sometimes... and hard hits.. i kinda wish they just animated the whole thing in one style but thats just me.. looks fun.. getting tired of burp/fart jokes in general.. and "squirrels playing with nuts" jokes... i didnt like the scream exchange at the end, its also been done to death..

cJaynes
05-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Wow, what can't Andy Serkis do? He is everywhere! It is almost a LOTR reunion with Sir Ian joining the cast too, maybe Elijah Wood will make a guest apperance.

And, yes the movie does looks really funny, can't wait!

Yen3D
05-19-2006, 02:07 PM
The animation feel odd to me!
The characterīs bodys move very fluid in the CG-like-way but the mouths pop like in stop-motion... what a strange combination of animation styles.
Iīm not interested in this movie at all.
Meet the Robinsons... Now thatīs the movie that Iīm looking forward to see. :)

cya

||yen3d||

edit: flipnap; I only red your post after posting mine...I guess Iīm just talking about the same thing :)

General Midi
05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I think this is an excellent example of audio adding something to a scene.

That last scene with the snail is yet another version of a joke I've seen about a dozen of times now.
It's not particulairly funny by itself, but the snail's voice made it very funny for me.

itsallgoode9
05-19-2006, 04:43 PM
boo, bring the real stop-motion back :( Wasn't impressed with the first half at all. It looked like a low budget CG film rather than looking like clay. 2nd half looked better, but I sitll want my stop-motion back.

fattyLees
05-19-2006, 06:29 PM
boo, bring the real stop-motion back :( Wasn't impressed with the first half at all. It looked like a low budget CG film rather than looking like clay. 2nd half looked better, but I sitll want my stop-motion back.

I don't think they ever said they were trying to emulate stop motion animation but try to recreate the Aardman style. Aardman is known for that type of lip sync...It's poppy and phonemes like "Ee" are very wide and show a lot of teeth. Nick Park talked about why he choose to animate it that way and it was becasue he was mimicking how they talk in a certain part of England ( I think it was some area in Northern England...can't remember off hand).

Not sure why you though it looked so low budget to you....you're gonna have to explain that one. If they were going to make it look like clay, which I doubt they were, I would guess that they would have done so by making the animation less smooth and more stacatto. Maybe the textures and shaders would show finger prints and actually look like clay or plasticine instead of how it looks in the trailer.

Anyways, point is they are recreating the Aardman STYLE of animation and not the method of Stop Mo.

-Fatty

ringzero
05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
As a couple people have said the house interior lighting is a little "underworked" to say the least.....However more worryingly the lighting isnt much better when it gets to Rat Town.

Since the last trailer I expected the lighting to improve - it hasnt!

Slurry
05-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Yep, I think this is looking great. I hope it delivers! It's been a while since I saw a good toon in the theatre.

Art

:)

beaker
05-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Since the last trailer I expected the lighting to improve - it hasnt!As with most trailers, many of these shots don't even have final lighting/rendering in them. Also trailers are often times assembled months before they actually show. Many times they will assemble multiple trailers at the same time and slowly release them.

itsallgoode9
05-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't think they ever said they were trying to emulate stop motion animation but try to recreate the Aardman style. Aardman is known for that type of lip sync...It's poppy and phonemes like "Ee" are very wide and show a lot of teeth. Nick Park talked about why he choose to animate it that way and it was becasue he was mimicking how they talk in a certain part of England ( I think it was some area in Northern England...can't remember off hand).

Not sure why you though it looked so low budget to you....you're gonna have to explain that one. If they were going to make it look like clay, which I doubt they were, I would guess that they would have done so by making the animation less smooth and more stacatto. Maybe the textures and shaders would show finger prints and actually look like clay or plasticine instead of how it looks in the trailer.

Anyways, point is they are recreating the Aardman STYLE of animation and not the method of Stop Mo.

-Fatty

guess I stand corrected then....I thought I had read an article last year that had mentioned that they wanted the stop motion feel, look (including the plasticine) and all.

I enjoyed the animation overall but the look of that first half just felt genric to me for whatever reason; the environment and lighting felt like it was falling into the uncanny valley type of area (not sure if inanimate objects can be considered to fall into that, but hopefully you can see what I mean).

I was just hoping for this to feel less cg than it does I guess....but as beaker said the film's a ways off still and alot of the stuff may not even be final.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2006, 10:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.