PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro heat issues fixed in firmware update

maX_Andrews
05-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Apple released a firmware update for the macbook pro a few hours ago, which users who have installed it say fixes most heat issues with the laptops. So if you have a macbook pro, firmware it up baby!
http://www.personaltechpipeline.com/187900297?cid=rssfeed_pl_ptp

edit:
Although Apple said that the update was to "System Management Control (SMC)" firmware, it was up to MacBook Pro (MBP) users to figure out that SMC is the specialized controller that manages thermal and power conditions, and is in charge of running the portable's fans.

Within hours of the update, users began reporting that the update seemed to increase the MacBook Pro's use of its fans, and using diagnostic tools, claimed that their machines were running up to eight degrees cooler.

"The fans are now working like they should," wrote another user, dubbed 'interval,' after he/she had installed the update. "Although the computer is much louder when being taxed, it's much much cooler. In fact, the area above the f-keys is just warm to the touch because the fans are actually forcing the air all the way out of the machine."

So if you wipe off that copious thermal grease and get the fans spinning, the macbook pro should run about 20 degrees (celcius) cooler.

JDex
05-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Sounds like a underclock to me. I can't see how it's possible to correct a manufacturing flaw with a patch.

ShadowHunter
05-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Sounds like a underclock to me. I can't see how it's possible to correct a manufacturing flaw with a patch.That would be my guess also, though it does not necessarily involve underclocking, rather some resources on the chip might have been scaled down. Someone should benchmark performance before and after the patch has been applied.

Per-Anders
05-18-2006, 03:04 AM
Yes, I'd be very interested to hear what the results would be. Underclocking would be a bit of a sham though (if they didn't actually tell their customers) as it's changing the nature of their product.

pgp_protector
05-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Are these the ones that were being shipped with a excessive amount of heatsink compound.

Cronholio
05-18-2006, 03:15 AM
I had one for 6 days. It is a great laptop, but I managed to kill it by catting to /dev/null/ in two seperate threads to see just how hot the machine would get under load. The machine got blistering hot within minutes, so hot parts of the enclosure were untouchable. The temp monitor I was using said the CPU was running at 90c. The fans never kicked on. It shut down and refused to boot back up after that.

I really did like the machine though. If they ever put an Nvidia card in the thing I'd consider getting another.

maX_Andrews
05-18-2006, 03:44 AM
The fans is what this firmware update is said to update. Users have reported that the fans never come on, even when the machine is piping hot, so this update actually makes the fans spin! Wheee!

JDex
05-18-2006, 04:02 AM
The only reason I call BS on the fans thing is because people who properly reapplied the thermal grease claimed that the fans started coming on as expected. The overheating is clearly because of the misapplication of the thermal medium which totally negates the ability of the cooling system that they designed. If they made any changes to the fan regulation, my guess is that they lowered the temp threshold and slowed the fans to address the whine... in the end the would still be running at a temp which would lower the lifespan of the hardware and increase the power usage.

CupOWonton
05-18-2006, 05:48 AM
So does this mean theyre not suing SomethingAwfull now?

Bladestorm
05-18-2006, 09:17 AM
So does this mean theyre not suing SomethingAwfull now?
Not likely. Probably just trying to prevent people suing for getting burned by their 'books.

Too bad they are doing this instead of a recall.

Tlock
05-18-2006, 09:03 PM
I was looking into buy one of those new 13" macs for my wife, but i was wondering if this same issue is in the 13". Since they were release, after the 15 and 17" laptops.

CupOWonton
05-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Not likely. Probably just trying to prevent people suing for getting burned by their 'books.

Too bad they are doing this instead of a recall.

I know fans arent supposed to draw a lot of power, but I kinda think this action would shorten the lifespan of both the fans and the power supply. It seems like theyre just telling it to continuously run the fans, when all they needed to do was innitialy place the correct ammount of grease on it.

maX_Andrews
05-18-2006, 11:38 PM
I was looking into buy one of those new 13" macs for my wife, but i was wondering if this same issue is in the 13". Since they were release, after the 15 and 17" laptops.

No, I was using a 13" macbook in the apple store yesterday and it was only slightly warm to the touch. The macbook has been disassembled and found to contain the correct amount of thermal grease, and as such runs muc cooler than the macbook pro.

I think apple should just announce a big super-support program for the heat issues, not a recall, but a "bring it in and we'll fix it quick" type of thing. WOuld make a lot more people happy, and they could even do it without officially making a big deal about it.

JDex
05-18-2006, 11:50 PM
I think apple should just announce a big super-support program for the heat issues, not a recall, but a "bring it in and we'll fix it quick" type of thing. WOuld make a lot more people happy, and they could even do it without officially making a big deal about it.

I agree. It's really a simple matter... The fact that they haven't already done this and pre-emptively repaired units that are already sitting on their shelves is rather troublesome.

Tlock
05-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Thank maX_Andrews that is very good news. At least they are doing that with their new lines. I can't imagine someone hasn't sat their and realized that this has cost associated with using what looks like 2 - 4 times more grease than they actually need.

JDex i don't think they want anyone to open their systems other than the boys at home, not even the sales reps that work in the stores. This must have made it to the assembly line already but no one will get one of those system's for a little bit until suppliers clear their inventory and order a new batch.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2006, 12:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.