PDA

View Full Version : Cooling for AMD

DaForce
01-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey folks,

Ill be getting my new rig soon, and i need some suggestions on what to get for cpu cooling. I can give you the link to the site that im getting everything from and if some of you could check out their cooling products and tell me what would be best, or if i should go elsewhere to get my cpu cooling products.

p.s. I will be running AMD 2700+ and possibly overclocking at some point. And would rather stay away from water cooling.

Here is the link to the site. CLICK ME (http://www.cougar.com.au/hardware/hardware2.cfm?Hware=COO&PTOpen=COO&RequestTimeout=120&InCheckout=0)

If there is something that is not on their list, mention it and i can get them to order it....hopefully.

Ta

GregHess
01-07-2003, 10:01 PM
I'd have them order you a Thermalright SK7, or SLK800. You'll also need an 80mm fan to go with either of those two heatsinks. I usually recommend an adjustable rpm fan, so you can tune noise levels by ear.

elvis
01-07-2003, 10:20 PM
biggest heatsink guide ever:

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

give yourself an hour or so to read this baby. :)

DaForce
01-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Greg: I have asked them if it possible to order those fans...just gotta wait for the reply now. In terms of cooling power is the Thermatake Volcano 9 better than the 2 that you mentioned?

Elvis: That is one crazy review, will try to read it today while im at work :-)

GregHess
01-08-2003, 12:24 AM
Its not better then a thermalright SLK800...especially if you use a rpm adjustable 80mm...then its not only a decent noise level, but fantastic cooling.

DaForce
01-08-2003, 01:35 AM
okie dokie SLK 800 it is..hopefully.

singularity2006
01-08-2003, 04:02 AM
I don't have any links on hand, but it's worth looking for the heat sink adapters that allow you to stick the GIANT P4 heat sinks on the tiny Athlon CPU and then attach an 80mm fan. ^.^ And if ur rich enough, go by a gram of platinum, crush it into a fine powder and mix it w/ some Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste... yupyup... at least, i think that's possible. =D

DaForce
01-08-2003, 04:41 AM
Greg: I managed to find somewhere in AUS that will send the SLK800 to me with the Thermaltake Smart Fan 2, speed variable through manual adjustment or thermal sensor (included, 20C for lowest speed, 55C for highest speed) (20.55cfm @1300rpm to 75.7cfm @ 4500rpm, 17dbA to 48dbA).

All for about $133aus. Is that what i should get???

And it would be best to use the thermal sensor as opposed to the manual adjustment right??

Ta

p.s. anything that is necessary, besides Arctic Silver 3 thermal grease?

singularity2006
01-08-2003, 05:53 AM
I've heard people talking about using aluminum fans since they dissapate heat much faster than plastic ... but ... ouch... can u imagine gettin' ur finger stuck in an aluminum fan.. going even a sluggish 2000RPM?? :argh:

DaForce
01-08-2003, 09:09 AM
singularity2006: Well that brings up the question of what are you doing sticking your finger into cpu fans anyway :-) Sure, sticking your finger in an aluminium fan going at 2000rpm would hurt heaps, but i think sticking your finger in a plastic one going at 4800rpm would probably hurt just as much ^_^

elvis
01-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by DaForce

Elvis: That is one crazy review, will try to read it today while im at work :-)
down the right-hand side is a list of all of the coolers with a degrees C per Watt rating. the lower this rating the better the effective cooling capacity.

dan uses a special custom-made heater to simulate a cpu, so all of his tests are done on the same piece of equipment meaning they are directly comparable. the simulated test is much harder on the heatsinks than any CPU is (at the moment at least), so it's also a good indication for users in hot climates or overclockers.

be sure that you check out the fan speed of each heatsink too. some heatsinks will have a few ratings based on what fan was used, and you certainly don't want a 7200RPM delta "screamer" in your workstation... trust me on that one.

[edit] spellcheck

DaForce
01-08-2003, 11:31 PM
Elvis: Looks like i will be getting the thermalright SLK800 with the adjustable speed fan. Thank should do the trick.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.