PDA

View Full Version : Merrill Lynch Predicts $200 Wii

RobertoOrtiz
05-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Quote:
"Nintendo, which is trying to regain videogame market share from Microsoft and Sony, will likely sell its new Wii console for much less than its competitors' console prices. Merrill Lynch analyst Justin Post predicted Thursday that the new machine, which will be released this fall, will sell for $200, a move that could prompt software publishers to create more titles for the gaming system.

Microsoft's (nasdaq: MSFT (http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktguideapps/compinfo/CompanyTearsheet.jhtml?tkr=MSFT) - news (http://www.forbes.com/markets/company_news.jhtml?ticker=MSFT)- people (http://www.forbes.com/peopletracker/results.jhtml?startRow=0&name=&ticker=MSFT)) Xbox 360 starts at $299, while Sony (nyse: SNE (http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktguideapps/compinfo/CompanyTearsheet.jhtml?tkr=SNE) - news (http://www.forbes.com/markets/company_news.jhtml?ticker=SNE)- people (http://www.forbes.com/peopletracker/results.jhtml?startRow=0&name=&ticker=SNE)) said earlier this week that its new PS3, which will ship in November, will cost $499 for a basic machine. Nintendo (otcbb: NTDOY.PK (http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktguideapps/compinfo/CompanyTearsheet.jhtml?tkr=NTDOY.PK) - news (http://www.forbes.com/markets/company_news.jhtml?ticker=NTDOY.PK)- people (http://www.forbes.com/peopletracker/results.jhtml?startRow=0&name=&ticker=NTDOY.PK)) didn't offer any pricing information when it showed off the Wii on Tuesday to a crowd gathered in advance of the E3 gaming expo. An executive from SEGA, one of Nintendo's largest publishers, told Forbes.com on Tuesday that he expects the Wii to sell for less than $200 (see: " Show, Don't Tell (http://www.forbes.com/home/digitalentertainment/2006/05/10/nintendo-e3-strategy-rr_cx_0510game.html)"). "

>>LINK<< (http://www.forbes.com/digitalentertainment/2006/05/11/nintendo-microsoft-sony_cx_kt_0511wii.html)

-R

pixelmonk
05-17-2006, 01:51 PM
They're sure pimping their controller. So far the games shown at E3 weren't that impressive so they better do something to pimp the rest of the hardware and push developers to do something really cool or it's going to fizzle out. I don't believe the hype they preach about reaching a larger user base with these new controllers. While the concept of the controller is cool, G4 did make a good point by stating the over-exaggerated motions of the clows in the Wii videos using the controllers was a bit melodramatic. Just a simple flick of the wrist can pretty much do the same thing, and in fact may be better while playing some of the games. Also, there will be a limited amount of games that actually use that "technology", although Nintendo won't actually come out and say that.

Sony will have to pray that the PS3 becomes widely available by next Spring and that more game developers start publishing more PS3 titles once they get more docs on the PS3 hardware.

The 360 will drop in price around the time the PS3 comes out and MS will position itself nicely in the console wars. Thanks Nintendo and Sony for a lackluster E3!

OneSharpMarble
05-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Thats a damn tempting price, I would get it for the new Zelda alone as long as I didn't have to use that ridiculous looking controller.

I don't really care how great they keep telling me it is I like the way controllers are right now and if something isn't broke why fix it?

pixelmonk
05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Thats a damn tempting price, I would get it for the new Zelda alone as long as I didn't have to use that ridiculous looking controller.

I don't really care how great they keep telling me it is I like the way controllers are right now and if something isn't broke why fix it?

oh yeah.. that's something they sort of skipped over.. you will have access to the traditional controller too, although I didn't hear any mention if it was an added cost or not.

EyeAmYou
05-17-2006, 02:23 PM

I saw the other controller at E3, it looks just like a super nintendo controller. and although the new controller looks pretty odd, it's actually realy bad ass. they had a few lil addons for the controller as well. it'll be really interesting to see what kind of gimmicks they come up with. so far the sword fighting in Red Steel, and the bow and arrow thing in Zelda seem awsome. the only game i actually got a chance to play was some tennis game. but even that was sweet as hell. i for one will DEFINATELY be buying one.

Kaostick
05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
oh yeah.. that's something they sort of skipped over.. you will have access to the traditional controller too, although I didn't hear any mention if it was an added cost or not.

The Wii will have ports you can plug your current GC controller into. The legecy controller(s) will likely have to be purchased seperatly.

Well, that may be. But after nearly 20 years of thumbing D-Pads and mashing buttons, I'm ready for something new.

SHEPEIRO
05-17-2006, 02:27 PM
i think you can use GC controllers (although dont quote me on it)

i see alot of stagnation in this industry and opinions like this

dont help matters.

yes im a little apprehensive about how its gonna play, but dont knock it till youve tried it, from all reports (even die hard sony and MS fans) it works surprisingly well.

bluemagicuk
05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I caught some e3 vids recently.

That tennis game looked sweet so did the mario game and zelda ... i wasnt too impressed with all the other stuff from nintento.... and they cant even come close to gears of war.

In fact dont think any of their FPS stuff is going to rate anywhere near ps3 and pc/xbox fps's like g.o.w. That controller doesnt look accurate enought to use as a virtual gun (i hope i am wrong) and the graphics look below par.

Wont stop me from getting one if the games are good tho :)

P_T
05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
In fact dont think any of their FPS stuff is going to rate anywhere near ps3 and pc/xbox fps's like g.o.w. That controller doesnt look accurate enought to use as a virtual gun (i hope i am wrong) and the graphics look below par.

Wont stop me from getting one if the games are good tho :)

At least you keep an open mind unlike some people. Just like Kaostick, I'm ready to let go of the callous on my thumb from all those button mashing.

Graphic wise, I agree with you, their FPS won't be as good as the triple A titles that will be released on PS3 or 360 but if their controller takes off, there will be a whole new generation of FPS with kickass gameplay coming our way.

Bulldog
05-17-2006, 05:14 PM
They're sure pimping their controller. So far the games shown at E3 weren't that impressive so they better do something to pimp the rest of the hardware and push developers to do something really cool or it's going to fizzle out.

Uh yea...zelda , metroid , red steel , warioware , mario , hammerfall and nintendo sports were not impressive at all. :rolleyes:

TheLostVertex
05-17-2006, 05:36 PM
In fact dont think any of their FPS stuff is going to rate anywhere near ps3 and pc/xbox fps's like g.o.w.

G.o.W is not a first person shooter(FPS). It is a third person shooter, much like Brute force for the Xbox, although Im sure it will be much funner to play ;) There for any FPS on the Wii will technaclly be a better FPS than G.o.W. :D

I look forward to getting to play with the new controller. And so long as I dont have to use the old gamecube controller(the Wii is said to have ports for it) to play Smashbrothers, I will be getting one. Im sure Metriod and Zelda will be fun to play as well...not to mention duck hunt! I miss that game.

-Steven

wolfmanyoda
05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Forget the fact that I love Zelda, Metroid, and Mario games....sony has priced themselves right off my list.

charleyc
05-17-2006, 05:42 PM
At that price, it wont matter if the hardware isn't up to par with the others. How many parents will shell out ~$200 ranther than ~$500?...A lot. While this console may not be as appealing to most us CG junkies (though I am a Nintendo fan :D ), most families are not going to be so critical when looking at price alone. IMO, nintendo will have to drop the ball so bad it wouldn't even be funny to mess up this race. Even the compitition is telling people they should buy it!?!

Ninjas
05-17-2006, 07:03 PM
It's good to see Nintendo finally getting their act together. The only way they could ruin this for themselves now is selling at a $300 + price point.

OneSharpMarble
05-17-2006, 07:03 PM
i think you can use GC controllers (although dont quote me on it)

i see alot of stagnation in this industry and opinions like this

dont help matters.

yes im a little apprehensive about how its gonna play, but dont knock it till youve tried it, from all reports (even die hard sony and MS fans) it works surprisingly well.

You know what if you feel the desire to fling your arms around while playing a game go for it but no need for personal attacks. I don't see at all how this controller is gonna get rid of this so called "stagnation" you talk about.

If Nintendo was so serious about enhancing gameplay how about instead of pulling this stunt why didn't they set up a decent online system for their Cube? Oh thats right people dont really want to play against millions of people, they would much rather have a silly new controller to put beside their congo drums. :rolleyes:

EpShot
05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks Nintendo and Sony for a lackluster E3!
riight, is the lack luster why sony and micorsoft think that everyoen is oging ot buy their console and a Wii? is that why the line to get into see the Wii was over 2 hours even on th elast day of E3. is that why so many people even those who at first critisized th eWii are now saying its really intersting and they may very well get one?

<sarcasm> soooo lackluster </sarcasm>

did you even try it? It foudn it quite fun actualy an di think a lot of people hear did as well.
I mean if you don't like it fine, whatever. Not everyoen needs to like the same thing, but why beat down on it? Especialy when there is obvious a lot of interest in it, particuarly on these boards.

wolfmanyoda
05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
If Nintendo was so serious about enhancing gameplay how about instead of pulling this stunt why didn't they set up a decent online system for their Cube? Oh thats right people dont really want to play against millions of people, they would much rather have a silly new controller to put beside their congo drums. :rolleyes:
I'm not trying to start any arguments, but not everyone wants to play online.
I'd rather play a single player game than anything else.

EpShot
05-17-2006, 07:13 PM
right, they don't care about online play, thats why i can connect to people and play online games almost ANYWHERE with DS thanx to its built in wi-fi connection.

UrbanFuturistic
05-17-2006, 07:43 PM
If Nintendo was so serious about enhancing gameplay how about instead of pulling this stunt why didn't they set up a decent online system for their Cube?What, like Sony did for the PS2? Oh wait, they dumped that all on the developers and made you buy it as an extra too.

Anyway, we're talking about the Wii, not the Gamecube, which does have a decent online system and built in WiFi. If you're expecting Nintendo to upgrade the GameCube at this stage then I expect Sony to completely retrofit their new centralised online system to the PS2 and MS to maintain 100% backwards compatability with the XBox, even though the 360 is based on a radically different architecture.

Talking to others, I do wonder how exactly an FPS in the Wii would be an inferior experience considering it's like holding a 3D mouse in your hand. Of course, no-one's ever going to utilise such a versatile controller at all, nooo.

bluemagicuk
05-17-2006, 10:28 PM
G.o.W is not a first person shooter(FPS). It is a third person shooter, much like Brute force

Inst it a role player with a third person perspective shooter that pulls into a fps when you hit the trigger ...lol i dunno, I found it hard to clasify. Either way it looks intriguing and i want it.

DevilHacker
05-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Uh yea...zelda , metroid , red steel , warioware , mario , hammerfall and nintendo sports were not impressive at all. :rolleyes:From what I saw, they were not...
:shrug:

bale
05-17-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm kinda worried about fps on Wii, I read on ign impression of red steel is that you have to point at the sensor bar and not the screen. Other then that I'll buy one on first day for zelda! Nintendo has always been about enhancing gameplay, without them we wouldn't have have control pads in the first place.

EpShot
05-18-2006, 12:12 AM
The remote is calibrated to the sensor. So you decide where center is. Its no like you are actualy poitning at the sensor.

it did have a bit of a learning curve but was quite fun once i started to get the hang of it.

DarkTure
05-18-2006, 12:16 AM
I like that there probably will be a lot of small/mini games for the Wii. I dont always wanna play really deep games that you have to spend a great deal of time to enjoy. I want something fast, fun and simple to play with friends. :thumbsup:

bale
05-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I like that there probably will be a lot of small/mini games for the Wii. I dont always wanna play really deep games that you have to spend a great deal of time to enjoy. I want something fast, fun and simple to play with friends. :thumbsup:

me too, I never actually get to sit and play games for more then 30 mins nowadays,...but I'l have to sneak zelda in while the missus is sleeping. It'll probably take me a year to finish lol.

noisewar
05-18-2006, 12:36 AM
From what I saw, they were not...
:shrug:

Seeing =/= playing :hmm:

Decade
05-18-2006, 12:57 AM
I've always liked nintendo games. If it comes out for that price & it converts to 's at a reasonable rate, then this may be the first console I buy on launch day !
I think metroid could be a top class first person game, though it isn't really a shooter. After all, it already is.
A bit off topic but doesn't anyone else think that mouse for FPS is kind of cheating. I mean, you just click on whatever you want to die, wheras with a joystick you have to aim like a gun. Don't get me wrong, I love far cry with a mouse but I'm not sure it's the best method for enjoyment, though it's obiously the best for performance.

amfantasy
05-18-2006, 02:05 AM
I'd love to see a copy of nintengirls on that system. lol noisewar

but at $200 how can you go wrong......

(I'm one of the few gamecube owners)

secretasianman
05-18-2006, 02:19 AM
right, they don't care about online play, thats why i can connect to people and play online games almost ANYWHERE with DS thanx to its built in wi-fi connection.

in a press interview, yes at one point before they started with wifi they did say no one wants to play online.

it was really funny to see and hear him say that. people at nintendo have always had a "i amd god" complex.

people talk about sony copying people, well i think about all of them copy from each other.

pearson
05-18-2006, 02:53 AM
I stood in that line for 2.5 hours exactly so I wouldn't have to rely on threads like this to form my opinion of the wiimote. I've never owned a nintendo system (not even a portable), so I'm no fan boy. When the DS was announced I mocked it. Two screens will suck batteries, stylus is too easily lost; buttons and one screen has worked fine so why change? PSP was sexy, played movies, yada yada.

Well, PSP fell pretty flat, movies were a joke, and some really fun little games came out for the DS. Games that couldn't be done with the old control scheme. So when the wiimote was announced I didn't mock it immediately. But I had to try it to see for myself. And I did.

I can't see the future, but I'm pretty sure there will be some really bad games released on all three systems. I also think there will be some truly innovative and fun games that will be made specifically for the wiimote.

I play games to have fun and relax. Not everybody does, I know, and the Wii isn't going to do it for some people. For me, the only games at E3 that really made me smile were Viva Pinata (360) and the ones in the Nintendo booth. Tennis was amazingly fun to play, and yes, I was swinging all over the place and laughing my head off.

My recipe for fun this fall/winter:
Add 1 wii, 4-8 wiimotes, and 3 or more RL friends, to a pre-warmed living room. Add munchies to taste.

dalmanna
05-18-2006, 03:37 AM
A bit off topic but doesn't anyone else think that mouse for FPS is kind of cheating. I mean, you just click on whatever you want to die, wheras with a joystick you have to aim like a gun. Don't get me wrong, I love far cry with a mouse but I'm not sure it's the best method for enjoyment, though it's obiously the best for performance.

kinda depends if you play fps at a pro level then everyone is at the same advantage and it's all about reactions, the sticks are more a party play thing in multiplayer that said it does keep the view more cinematic in both single player and multiplayer, which a mouse tends to jump around a lot ( i prefer sticks coz i grew up with consoles and i like my arm chair:scream: ) so i guess its not really cheating it's just a different type of play.

PhilOsirus
05-18-2006, 03:58 AM
kinda depends if you play fps at a pro level then everyone is at the same advantage and it's all about reactions, the sticks are more a party play thing in multiplayer that said it does keep the view more cinematic in both single player and multiplayer, which a mouse tends to jump around a lot ( i prefer sticks coz i grew up with consoles and i like my arm chair:scream: ) so i guess its not really cheating it's just a different type of play.

With next-gen consoles anyway you can use a mouse and a keyboard (confirmed for PS3 to be possible from the start, not currently possible on 360 but supposedly will be at some point). Not sure about the Wii but with the controller it's not really necessary anymore, at least as far as using a mouse is concerned.

bale
05-18-2006, 04:35 AM
it'd be kool if they use the wii gun shell in fps games.

maX_Andrews
05-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

I think I'll get a wii when it comes out. But to keep my testosterone levels high to attract the ladies, I'm going to rename it my uber death console of cyber doom. Yeah...that'll make me popular...

noisewar
05-18-2006, 07:44 AM
My recipe for fun this fall/winter:
Add 1 wii, 4-8 wiimotes, and 3 or more RL friends, to a pre-warmed living room. Add munchies to taste.

Since it'll be your first Nintendo system, lemme give ya a warning. If you ever want those friends to leave your place, don't buy Smash Bros.

icedeyes
05-18-2006, 08:25 AM
An executive from SEGA, one of Nintendo's largest publishers, told Forbes.com on Tuesday that he expects the Wii to sell for less than $200

Great news but this little sentence got me laughing my a$$ off... i mean they were the greatest competitors when i was a kid and now sega is one of nintendos largest publisher? I mean, times DO change....

PyRoT
05-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Great news but this little sentence got me laughing my a$$ off... i mean they were the greatest competitors when i was a kid and now sega is one of nintendos largest publisher? I mean, times DO change....

Let's hope Sony doesn't go down the same path...

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2006, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.