http://www.softimage.com/purchase/pro_advanced/default.aspx

Some might go wow....

but I am one cynical b****** ...sooo here goes:

"GOD THOSE GUYS MUST BE DESPERATE"

muahahahaha!

:twisted:

Ubik
05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
I dont think they are desperate, but these auctions can privide company with nubers for potential growth in sales if/when they lower the price.

That said XSi is still too damn expensive for freelance work....don't forget yearly maintenance paychecks.

ThE_JacO
05-17-2006, 02:20 PM
but I am one cynical b****** ...sooo here goes:

"GOD THOSE GUYS MUST BE DESPERATE"

muahahahaha!

:twisted:

Softimage has always had a big push by either trade-in or limited time half price offers right before or after any new release, and 5.1 just came out.

Whether they're desperate or not I wouldn't know, but this isn't a bit off their usual pattern.

Also this is the News section, the thread title was good but the contents are a bit too childish and flamebaiting for a news report, and permacaps are kinda lame :)

mattmos
05-17-2006, 02:21 PM
That said XSi is still too damn expensive for freelance work....don't forget yearly maintenance paychecks.

C'mon man, you could make that back in 2 weeks if the right contract comes along. yes the yearly maintainance can sting but it gives you rights to free upgrades and in essence, pays for itself over. I really don't see what anyone can complain about :)

ThE_JacO
05-17-2006, 02:24 PM
C'mon man, you could make that back in 2 weeks if the right contract comes along. yes the yearly maintainance can sting but it gives you rights to free upgrades and in essence, pays for itself over. I really don't see what anyone can complain about :)

some people prefer to pay 50% of the cost of the app to get a new version at every republish, and especially when some apps have a cycle that's one decent release every 3 years that makes perfect sense, some other people are comfortable with a subscription system for a lower but annual percentage, especially those used to seeing at least one significant upgrade and several minors every 10/12 months.

mlmiller1983
05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Thats not a bad deal, if only I had $5200?

darkjedi1929
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Softimage has always had a big push by either trade-in or limited time half price offers right before or after any new release, and 5.1 just came out.

Whether they're desperate or not I wouldn't know, but this isn't a bit off their usual pattern.

Also this is the News section, the thread title was good but the contents are a bit too childish and flamebaiting for a news report, and permacaps are kinda lame :)

Chill XSI lovers, I was just kidding, if you got the sarcasm in my post. And not flamebaiting. Anyway, cool for the guyz who want XSI, I am quite happy with Maya....

krisr
05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Desperate....no....they know what they are doing. Remember, this is a major company with paid accountants who crunch numbers all day to make sure that everything adds up. They just don't pull a number out of a hat and realize later...."crap, that was stupid." XSI is not too expensive for freelance work either. Less than a month of work and its paid for itself. Maybe even less time than that depending on what you charge your clients.

SamSed
05-17-2006, 03:54 PM
this is old news for me:eek:
it was a campaign called ''XSI advanced GO! GO! GO! campaign'' (go = five in japanese ) . XSI advanced for 555 000 yen ($5056 ), it ended on january 23rd :shrug:.

shingo
05-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Too expensive for freelance work?

Try buying Syflex alone, which is included in the price.

GatorNic
05-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Too expensive for freelance work?

Try buying Syflex alone, which is included in the price.

agreed. :wise:

Myliobatidae
05-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Looks like a great deal really, how is the XSI hair and fur system ?

Ya, remember it comes with Syflex, who wouldn't want that, plus its own composting package and crowd simulation...

Xevious
05-17-2006, 06:29 PM
If Foundation or (Maybe) Essentials was on sale for 50% off, I would be all over this in a heartbeat.

Myliobatidae
05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
If Foundation or (Maybe) Essentials was on sale for 50% off, I would be all over this in a heartbeat.

Wow, that's amazing, you can buy a 3d animation package for $500, basically the price of a plugin for Max, and you want 50% of that too, maybe they'll be giving it away for free with one of those 3D magazines next month, I can remember when Maya was $16,000 and I think softimage was $9,000, I think Max is the only one that hasn't budged on their pricing...

CupOWonton
05-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I already spent that much on Max. Theyre going to have to lower the price to 1/4th, then ill buy.

mlmiller1983
05-18-2006, 03:07 AM
Looks like a great deal really, how is the XSI hair and fur system ?

Its actually Joe Alter's Shave & Haircut software.

younglion
05-18-2006, 03:21 AM
hmmmm....................this just made me lean towards xsi a bit more cause i have been contemplating purchasing xsi and seeing what it could do i did try the trial version and it was good but there were not enough tutorials on it so i dunno. maybe ill just wait a bit more.

alvin-cgi
05-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Thats not a bad deal, if only I had $5200?

yeah, thats sure not a bad deal, I realy want one... if only I had $8340NZD($9383NZD inc gst).:)

ThE_JacO
05-18-2006, 03:38 AM
Its actually Joe Alter's Shave & Haircut software.

yes and no, it's based on that as Alter contributed to the initial dev cycle for it, when MRay didn't even have MI_Hair primitives yet and Joe's experitse and technologies were useful and unique.

nowadays the use of Joe's patents is still there (like sticking a root to a mesh), and the combing is still largely similar, but 80% of what's under the hood isn't SnH at all.

things like shading, memory management (SnH uses a very naive grid voxelling that Soft had to scrap in favour of re-building an OCTree), connection to MRay, storage of the data in memory etc. are all propietary to Soft's implementation.

It's arguably much better then SnH in most regards, and on par in those it's not better off.

krisr
05-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Wow, that's amazing, you can buy a 3d animation package for $500, basically the price of a plugin for Max, and you want 50% of that too, maybe they'll be giving it away for free with one of those 3D magazines next month, I can remember when Maya was $16,000 and I think softimage was $9,000, I think Max is the only one that hasn't budged on their pricing...

Lol....I was first working on Softimage 3D when it was around $37,000 and of course would only run on a $10,000 SGI.....and to think that it was only 10 years aog.

mlmiller1983
05-18-2006, 04:44 AM
yes and no, it's based on that as Alter contributed to the initial dev cycle for it, when MRay didn't even have MI_Hair primitives yet and Joe's experitse and technologies were useful and unique.

nowadays the use of Joe's patents is still there (like sticking a root to a mesh), and the combing is still largely similar, but 80% of what's under the hood isn't SnH at all.

things like shading, memory management (SnH uses a very naive grid voxelling that Soft had to scrap in favour of re-building an OCTree), connection to MRay, storage of the data in memory etc. are all propietary to Soft's implementation.

It's arguably much better then SnH in most regards, and on par in those it's not better off.

Interesting. I did not know that. It sound like Softimage took a great piece of software and made it even better. Now I want it even more!!!

ThE_JacO
05-18-2006, 05:18 AM
Interesting. I did not know that. It sound like Softimage took a great piece of software and made it even better. Now I want it even more!!!

It's far from perfect, but considering what's on the market it surely is above average, and it's one of the few commercial solutions that has actually been pushed through a lot of productions of all calibers.

Other solutions have started peeking into the market, but insofar only C4D's hair seems to be a potentially robust solution that might make it through a proudction grinder, although it's not as consolidated and tested yet, so it might or might not have some nasty surprise somewhere.

Anyway, XSI's hair worked reasonably well for the last 3 movies I've been on, and it's been 3 very different scenarios, and the fact that as of 5.x it's well exposed in the SDK makes a big difference in some regards (mostly for the larger shops though).

mlmiller1983
05-18-2006, 06:22 AM
There is always the student license of XSI Advanced to play with.

morimitsu
05-18-2006, 05:50 PM
The 3d market is getting tough every year goes by... What competition to such a small market.

yolao
05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
how is the XSI hair and fur system ?

xsi hair is the best hair system that i have ever come across, it may be based on shave and haircut, but xsi has actually take it to the level that feels like S&H five version ahead.

Xevious
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM

Now I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy XSI foundation for $500 (I would..its a great value). I am just saying my reaction time will be quicker if it was suddenly cheaper :)-

Its just wishful thinking though.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.