PDA

View Full Version : To Vue or not to Vue

Srdjan_R
05-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi all,
last week I came across some videos done using Vue. I must say very impresive stuff. I use 3DS Max for sometime now and Vray recently. I will be happy if I can produce such images myself, just to add I do architecture visualisations.
Looking around on Vue website confuses me; is Vue plug in for terrain, plants or it is modeling software, or standalone, rendering. Does it replaces 3DS max, or it has to work together? Is it so easy to do stuff in Vue, or is it like all other software, quality can be done, but you need to master it for sometime. Just looked to me that is few press of the buttons, and here we go. I am sure nothing is so easy, lol. Can somebody tell me about Vue basics, and compare to 3DS Max and Vray.

Regards
Srdjan

mwalter1
05-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Vue is easy to learn! The Vue Xstream package is a plug-in that allows Vue scenes including the eco-systems to be available in 3Dmax for a seamless merge. To really use the Xtream plug-in, you also need to have Vue 5 Infinite. There are demos available for both. Xtream is still in beta, so there are a few bugs. From the demo I saw last year at Siggraph, it looks very promising.

Srdjan_R
05-18-2006, 07:13 AM
Hi mwalter1,
thanks for reply. Vue looks like a good software, some stunning features. Are you using it by yourself, what kind of work do you do?

Regards
Srdjan

mwalter1
05-18-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm a technical writer during the day - hobby for artwork at night. I have used Vue a few times for some of the manuals I write, but not as often as I would like. Somehow dragons just don't mix with work!

Anyway, I really love Vue. I've been using it since version 4 and the program just keeps getting better. There are lots of levels of Vue (from Easel to Infinite), but the interface is similar in all of them. Makes it easy to grow with the software if you don't have to relearn the interface each time.

vinnydakid
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I've been using 3DS Max since version 2.5 and Vray since it's conception. I love both programs, but I'm doing visual effects and some digital matte paintings for a low budget sci-fi film and needed some pretty extensive foliage and outdoor CGI (the entire film was shot on greenscreen much in the way that "Sky Captain and teh World of Tmorrow" was). So I picked up Vue Infinite I gotta tell you... it really is as easy as it looks to get up and running!
I've only been using it for something like two weeks and from my (very limited) experience I've found that the animation tools are somewhat clumsy compared to Max. Animating the camera around is a bit of a pain. Also, I've found it better to load all my photo texture maps into Vue rather than using their procedural textures.
But other than that, it's awesome.
If I had the money, I'd definitly run out and get XStream as that would solve the animation problem ... but cash is limited!

Hope that helps!

Srdjan_R
05-19-2006, 05:21 AM
Hi mwalter1, Hi vinnydakid for your nice inputs!:thumbsup:

Very inspirational stuff, thats all I can say. I am pretty convinced. One thing I can not understand Vue Xstream and Vue Infinite are almost the same, very simmilar interface, both have a camera, but one is doing some thing better than the other. I spent lots of time on their website, to try distinguish which program does what, but still nothing, unfortunately. vinnydakid, you said that Xstream has easyer camera setup is Xstream plug in for 3DS Max and work witheen the max, while Vue Infinite is standalone program, whos exporting and inporting to and from Max? sorry guys, I know a lots of software but this one is confusing me a lot. During the cruise trough their website I came accross very interesting part, educational CD,s http://www.e-onsoftware.com/resources/?page=training has anybody got an idea are they any good. I guess those are video tutorials. it is for Vue Infinite, only one of those is for LightWave, I guess rest will be useful for me as a 3DS Max user? I always beleive in the torough education, where you don't skip some important function, and somewhere on the way you discover some important function, and you've been wasting your time up to that point to accheive that....

I think that I will buy both of them, just have to clear-up few things, as I discussed earlier. Btw, how is the customer support? I have been waiting for some feature answers for almost a day, maybee with actual technical problems they are better?:)

Regards
Srdjan

Mike.H
05-19-2006, 01:05 PM
well letīs see now.

xStream is a plugin for vue, helping out with the integration between max and vue in your case.
So for the best possible result you would need max (which you have) xStream + v5Infinite.

v5I is the main vue application, hereīs where you create your terrains, vegetation and atmospheres etc.

xStream is a plugin that letīs vue terrains, solidgrowth vegetations, atmospheres etc interact with your max created objects so they render seamlesly together (so you can use the vue wind and eco systems etcetera but have them blend with your max render/lightning etc)

Yes you can do without v5I and just use xStream and max, but that means that someone else besides you will have to have vue and create vue scenes for you, which isnt very practical in a production pipeline :)

Im a bit stressed, on my way out so im sure iīve said something slightly wrong or not described it 100% accurate but i hope it gives you a much clearer picture of what xStream is.

in my humble opinion youīll need both v5I anc xStream, but if i would just get one, it would of course be v5I.

mwalter1
05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
The training DVDs made by AsielFX are all excellent. From the Gettings Started DVD to the last one they just posted this week (Tips and Tricks Vol 2) are worth the time and money. I have all of them except the Lightwave one... They now offer download versions, so you can save on shipping and get them right away. The downloads are split into smaller files, but each DVD is in the 300MB size range - not a problem for a fast internet connection.

E-on is a small company. Their technical support is OK - I have always had my questions answered through the user forums and e-mail, most within a few hours. I have never had a sales question, so don't know how quick they are.

FrozenSun
05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Actually xStream currently integrates with Maya, 3ds Max and others are under development.
I was a beta tester for the Maya version and some of my ideas were implemented :)
As far as Vue goes i just upgraded like 6 months ago to Vue 5 from 4 but regret to have not went straight to Infinite. In infinite you have so much more like the eco-systems and not to mention being able to animate trees and leaves with wind or such. It all depends on your needs.

Srdjan_R
05-22-2006, 05:33 AM
Hi Mike.H,
thanks for your input. I was little bit in douth aboutVue, because on Vray forum they only talk about Vray like ultimate plugin. Vue has not have as advanced rendering engine as Vray, but has got much more, which is more important globaly at the end of the day, making scene more realistic. What is use of good and quick render, while you do not have good trees and grass, terrain, and you ca not see breez blowing across the field, making it very believebal, plus waves on the sea. Your post helped me out so much in order to decide, together with other guys, of course:)

Hi mwalter1,
thanks for valuable input, I will definitly buy all 6 CD's, I can see they are very good and essential. I tryed quickly Infinite, and rendering was not so good, hope they are explaining that too.

Hi FrozenSun,
thanks for your input, I will definitely buy both.

I am only not sure how big chunks are for download, because I got very slow internet connection, compering to yours guys; it is 10-15bps on the good day.

Regards
Srdjan

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 05:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.