PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War: The Race to E3 (MTV Documentary)

Paul-Angelo
05-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Just read this on http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=12075&si=121

MTV has jumped onto the video game bandwagon with their upcoming documentary-style special, Gears of War: The Race to E3. The special will follow those involved in the making of the upcoming Gears of War videogame as they prepare to debut their game at E3.

The special, which airs on Friday, May 19, 2006 at 10:00 pm, will take viewers behind-the-scenes of the making of Gears of War and the preparation that goes into getting read for a major trade show.

I checked my local listings for this and it's showing up on MTV2 in my area. If you don't get MTV2 I think it will be available on MTV Overdrive which is on the web.

CupOWonton
05-17-2006, 07:15 AM
Or dont watch it because its a waste of everyones time. Like when MTV covered the 360 release last year and we got to hear people talk in interviews.. people who shouldnt be allowed to talk about videogames.

Bonedaddy
05-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Or dont watch it because its a waste of everyones time. Like when MTV covered the 360 release last year and we got to hear people talk in interviews.. people who shouldnt be allowed to talk about videogames.

Or watch it and decide for yourself? Or Tivo it and wait to hear how it was? I mean, I think it's kind of neat they're at least interested in the process, even if they will probably glam it up for TV.

CupOWonton
05-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Or watch it and decide for yourself? Or Tivo it and wait to hear how it was? I mean, I think it's kind of neat they're at least interested in the process, even if they will probably glam it up for TV.
Im a firm believer in the past repeating itself. Even within a year.

neonneo
05-17-2006, 09:06 AM
yay more cliffy :D

M.E.L.
05-17-2006, 03:17 PM
sounds good if you ask me, the 360 launch was a bit dilluted I found but this should at least be insightful and entertaining. I was extremely impressed with the Gears Of War showing for E3 so I'm curious to see how other places deal with the E3 crunch :)

-s

AdamHerbert
05-17-2006, 03:34 PM
people who shouldnt be allowed to talk about videogames.

Wait, who shouldn't be allowed to talk about video games? It's not like they are an elitist hobby, or require some kind of expert knowledge to enjoy. They are just games that are readily available to anyone and everyone.

Anyways, I think it will be worth watching. It may be full of strange camera moves and effects that try to grab your attention every 5 seconds, but they are following people that are involved with the game. It will at least be interesting to see how the GoW crew deals with the pressure and the cameras. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

heavyness
05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
if you have a 360, you can dl the first part of this show [kinda like a teaser] and watch it now. from the teaser, it looks interesting and they show a lot of behind the scene footage.

well, if G4 isn't doing video games anymore, i guess MTV can [its not like they show music videos or amything]

f97ao
05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Wait, who shouldn't be allowed to talk about video games? It's not like they are an elitist hobby, or require some kind of expert knowledge to enjoy. They are just games that are readily available to anyone and everyone.

I think the problem with some tv shows is that the people talking about the computer games don't even know what a computer game is, and surely have never played one. Then it's a problem.

However more games in Tv would be interesting. All the behind the scenes information is interesting to me. In the future I hope to look into the possibility of telling more about how we work at my company. What is people really interested to see about game companies?

To show some of the tools and workflow, and also underlying discussions about the game is of course interesting. I think it's also quite nice to just see the place where people are working and how the folks look at a company.

/Andreas

AdamHerbert
05-17-2006, 04:05 PM
I think the problem with some tv shows is that the people talking about the computer games don't even know what a computer game is, and surely have never played one. Then it's a problem.

I can see that being a problem, but CupOWonton was talking about the MTV special on the 360 release. Very few people had played the 360 at that point and anyone who had even played a Nintendo just once could have had a valuable opinion on the subject.

Kentaro
05-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Its "gears of War" and its on TV and its for the MS 360 XBox.

I'll be there. The Halo of 2nd Gen gaming is coming .^5

SHEPEIRO
05-17-2006, 04:15 PM
More games in tv

How about crossing Big Brother with game deveopment house: the real world

imagine the fights, imagine eviction night, "Who are you going to vote off, the artist who spent four weeks modelling a tea cup, or the programmer caught snogging the producer behind the poool table?"

Paul-Angelo
05-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I think whether or not MTV can pull it off, it's still cool to be able to see behind the scenes footage of what goes on over at Epic. Besides if you didn't like the way they covered the 360 last May, well let's give them a second chance. Maybe they will pull it off right this time. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Bonedaddy
05-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Its "gears of War" and its on TV and its for the MS 360 XBox.

I'll be there. The Halo of 2nd Gen gaming is coming .^5

Second gen?

...how old are you? :surprised

heavyness
05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
More games in tv

How about crossing Big Brother with game deveopment house: the real world

imagine the fights, imagine eviction night, "Who are you going to vote off, the artist who spent four weeks modelling a tea cup, or the programmer caught snogging the producer behind the poool table?"

i think there is one in the works already. forgot who and or what studio is doing it.

AdamHerbert
05-17-2006, 04:45 PM
if you have a 360, you can dl the first part of this show [kinda like a teaser] and watch it now. from the teaser, it looks interesting and they show a lot of behind the scene footage.

Yea, actually I already watched this. I should have realized this was the same thing. Anyways, from what I saw it didn't come across as MTV doing it, so whether that's good or bad is for you to decide. It had some interviews with CliffyB and a couple of his guys in charge. Pretty good from what I saw. A lot of them playing around and making fun of each other.

Titan
05-17-2006, 04:52 PM
If anything it'll be worth it just to laugh at James Hawkins "hawkprey" wearing the mocap suit....I talked to him the day the cameras were there and he was bit upset that they didnt even get any video of him doing concept art...just mocap work....lol

Paul-Angelo
05-17-2006, 05:00 PM
According to this press release from http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10911/Gears-of-War-Race-to-E3/

Filmed in high-definition on location in Raleigh, NC by LivePlanet, the dramatic story follows the team at Epic Games (the creators of Unreal) as they prepare for E3, the videogame industry’s Super Bowl. With time running out and the pressure mounting to complete a playable demo, personalities clash and personal lives suffer. Then, with everything at stake, the team arrives at E3. Will the demo mesmerize the 70,000 attendees and become the buzz of the show, or will it fail to impress and grind the game’s momentum to a screeching halt?

Gears of War: The Race to E3 is Executive Produced by Larry Tanz, Keith Quinn, Marc Joubert of LivePlanet and Lee Brownstein, who also serves as show runner on the project.

Here's the production company that made it http://www.liveplanet.com/

CupOWonton
05-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Second gen?

Hahahaha, You havent met our friend the X-Box Fanboy yet? You should check his other long winded posts on 360, it's an entertaining read.

Paul-Angelo
05-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Bumping this because it's on tonight, set your dvrs! :thumbsup: For those who don't get MTV2 you will eventually be able to see it here

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/player.jhtml?launchedFrom=/overdrive/

You will probably have to hit the game link to see it when it's finally added.

OneSharpMarble
05-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Ugg I groan everytime I see the words....
- MTV
- Snoop Dogg
- Funkmaster flex
- insert various actor turned voice actor
in the same sentence as Video game.

Honestly I would rather listen to my nephew tell me about how he is doing in his recent N64 game than listen to these people tell me about how hard they worked on their 3-4 sound bytes.

Paul-Angelo
05-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I wish I didn't title it MTV documentary... if you saw the earlier post of mine, MTV did not produce this they are just the ones who are putting it on the air. Besides, if it was going to be too MTVish I'm sure they would have put it on the regular MTV channel.

dalmanna
05-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Second gen?

lol, perhaps we're all just old:scream:

heavyness
05-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I wish I didn't title it MTV documentary... if you saw the earlier post of mine, MTV did not produce this they are just the ones who are putting it on the air. Besides, if it was going to be too MTVish I'm sure they would have put it on the regular MTV channel.

well, its gotta air some where. just watch it and help the ratings. eventually, NBC, FOX and other networks will start showing this stuff. i remember my mom watching the game documentary on PBS and she liked it. who would of thought skateboarding would ever be shown on network tv --> X Games.

just cause G4 screwed up doesn't mean their isn't an audience for this.

Kentaro
05-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Awesome show, Epic and Microsoft both are betting the farm on this game.

Was a great 30 minute show.

D-3
05-20-2006, 08:32 AM
the gametrailers.com showed a litle backstage pass video, if some one have interest...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=mov&id=10910

full video in mtv2

http://www.mtv2.com/#series/20691

c ya

ihd
05-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Microsoft's Gamerscore blog has two preview videos.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/05/18/534942.aspx

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.