PDA

View Full Version : Pricing of mentalray standalone and XSI Batch

Throbstone
05-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Can anyone give me the rough cost for the network rendering options with XSI? I need those figures as we are planning to cross over from lightwave but I need to factor in the cost there.

Thanks

Martin

JDex
05-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Get a quote from SI or you local reseller... better to plan with actual facts. :D

Spacelord
05-17-2006, 04:38 AM
In Australia, I was quoted $1523.50 including GST for batch render lics.
Its bloody expensive and thats for 2 cpus, you can only use it on one
machine. So if you had 2 machines with single cpus you could only use
1 of them.

Throbstone
05-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Thanks, yeah that is pretty steep. I guess it works out better to just buy XSI advanced as it comes with 12 tokens!

Spacelord
05-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Mmmm I'd check that, I know it says 12 cpu renders, but I think its 8 satelite lics and 4 batch render lics and those 4 batch might be 4 cpus so only 2 machines. Best be calling Xenon and checking that out.
XSI advanced is on special now for US$3499.
Just make sure how many batch licenses Advance has.

Also take maintence into account !! its pretty hefty too.

wmendez
05-17-2006, 02:01 PM
From the following thread (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=14272;start=15)

XSI batch license allows to:
1) render xsi (.scn) using xsibatch -r ( command line batch render) up to 2 cpus on the same machine.
batch license (2cpu license) is in-divisable, which mean if you render on 1 cpu machine with a batch license,
the second license can not be re-use on a different machine, only on the same machine ( when the computer has 2 cpu ).
2) execute command line script using xsibatch ( using any supported languages )
For this one, the user can create a script that will create progammatically a scene or load a scene and render it.
Again using the batch license with xsibatch -script is still bounded to the same 2 cpu on the same computer
3) xsibatch -r is design to either render an xsi native scene file ( .scn ) and can also generate mi files ( incremental and non incremental )
on disk.

XSI Batch token includes 2 cpu render + 4 Satellite

XSI Adv Token includes 2 cpu render + 4 Satellite, + XSI Batch token

XSI Ess Token includes 2 cpu render + 4 Satellite

Throbstone
05-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Does satilite mean another PC on the network?

If I have a bunch of single processor PCs, how many of them can I use to render with if I have a licence of XSI advanced?

Spacelord
05-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Does satilite mean another PC on the network?

If I have a bunch of single processor PCs, how many of them can I use to render with if I have a licence of XSI advanced?

With Satelite rendering you can render large frames across a network, renders for print.. etc..
So reading what was posted before
XSI Adv Token includes 2 cpu render + 4 Satellite, + XSI Batch token
you can render on 4 computers.
For batch rendering it looks like you can only render on 1 machine, yep its expensive.

Considering 3dsmax has free unlimited multiframe rendering !!!
Heres abit of speculation :)
I wonder what happens with Softimages ties with Mental Images now.
Since Autodesk owns 3dsmax and Maya, They must have more buying power than AVID.
Will the next release of Maya have unlimited multiframe rendering ??
Will XSI have unlimited Multiframe rendering ?
Its going to make XSI the expensive route to go if they don't add it.
I'm guessing Siggraph will have a lot of answers.

Throbstone
05-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Hmmm, yeah. Not as good a deal as I thought. So the best you could effectively do is have 4PCs(with 2 prcessors each). ie To do an animation render as opposed to a single frame.

Is that how you read it?

Seems a bit misleading to say you have 12 nodes!

Spacelord
05-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Yeah but satelite rendering takes a bit of overhead on the network,
its great for large frames for but rendering animation you really need
batch lics of mental ray.

I'm not sure how that works out, how many of each.
Maybe it means you can have one machine with XSI installed
and have a render slave to render animation.

It is confusing, they should just say
Advance can render multiply frames over 2 machines
and satelite render across 4 machines.
Not just say 12 cpus !!

edit: best bet is to call Xenon and say you want
5 machines to render animation on or how many you think you need,
see what price they come with.
post back here once you find out. :)

Throbstone
05-19-2006, 05:27 AM
yeah, I did ask Xenon but they haven't got back to me yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Spacelord
05-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Hi Throbstone,
How did you go with Xenon ?

cheers

cem
05-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Mmmm I'd check that, I know it says 12 cpu renders, but I think its 8 satelite lics and 4 batch render lics and those 4 batch might be 4 cpus so only 2 machines. Best be calling Xenon and checking that out.
XSI advanced is on special now for US$3499.
Just make sure how many batch licenses Advance has.

Also take maintence into account !! its pretty hefty too.

With maintenance I was quoted $7707 AUD it's still a bit out of my price range, if I didn't have to get maintenance I would of grabbed it oh well hopefully they offer the deal again next year. The price is from the other stockist not Xenon (XDT).

bryann
06-02-2006, 02:13 PM
One other thing to keep in mind for the future (should you build new machines) is that the tokens are counted by Softimage and MR by socket rather than actual cpus on the die. For instance, an Opteron or Athlon x2 processor counts as one token rather than 2. With AMD planning to release x4 processors in the next year, you could theoretically use just 2 tokens in a dual socket mobo with Opteron x4 processors but get the power of 8 cpus. This does, of course, raise your hardware costs but your licensing costs are cut quite a bit.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2006, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.