PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Disks Vaporware?

DevilHacker
05-17-2006, 12:19 AM
…well, it was at Sony’s recent party celebrating its 10th birthday, were they showcased blu-ray players playing the “content of the future”… Bad thing is, they didn’t think someone would actually open up one of the many Blu-Ray player disk drives on the floor; were what did they find? The media they were showing was nothing more than video being feed off an DVD+R disk! At least they took the time to get a sharpie and write the title of the supposed Blu-Ray Movie on the DVD…

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/05/blu-ray_dvd.jpg

From the web-"tech blog" Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-throws-party-for-vaios-fakes-blu-ray-demo/):
Who'd you think you were fooling, Sony (http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=sony)? You go throw some big huge party celebrating the 10 year birthday of the Vaio (http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=vaio) and the launch of the Vaio UX Micro PC (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-gets-official-on-new-vaio-ux-micro-pc/) and your new flagship Blu-ray playing AR series 17-inch powerhouse (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-announces-vaio-ar-laptop-with-blu-ray/) laptop, replete with demo of early Blu-ray title House of Flying Daggers. And then you get done caught red-handed by a meddling reporter who discovered the Blu-ray playback is actually coming straight off a typical, normal old DVD+R. It's a sham, Sony, the whole thing's a sham! How are you gonna make a case for your laptop -- let alone Blu-ray as a format -- now that you tried to pawn off a DVD as a Blu-ray tech demo to a room full of industry professionals? We hope at least it was playing back a high def trailer, or something; now go to your room, you're gonna have some serious alone time, little mister.

Read (http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/archive/2006/05/16/11622.aspx):curious:

SheepFactory
05-17-2006, 12:24 AM
edit: the person who wrote that article must be feeling really stupid now. :rolleyes:

georgenz
05-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Awesome tech! :D

P_T
05-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Seems like the reporter popped the wrong laptop. The one on the left was playing the compressed format while the only on the right is playing the HD format.

The premium model comes bundled with one of the first Blu-ray Disc (BD) movies, House of Flying Daggers, which Sony (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2939#) showed side-by-side tonight, along with the DVD version.

>>LINK (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2939)<<

Click on the large version of the image there and you'll see the left side laptop (which is the one the reporter popped open) is showing lower quality image.

The things people do... tsk tsk tsk...

PhilOsirus
05-17-2006, 02:14 AM
…well, it was at Sony’s recent party celebrating its 10th birthday, were they showcased blu-ray players playing the “content of the future”… Bad thing is, they didn’t think someone would actually open up one of the many Blu-Ray player disk drives on the floor; were what did they find? The media they were showing was nothing more than video being feed off an DVD+R disk! At least they took the time to get a sharpie and write the title of the supposed Blu-Ray Movie on the DVD…

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/05/blu-ray_dvd.jpg

From the web-"tech blog" Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-throws-party-for-vaios-fakes-blu-ray-demo/):
:curious:

Nice try, but that's the DVD movie they compared it to.

noisewar
05-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Seems like the reporter popped the wrong laptop. The one on the left was playing the compressed format while the only on the right is playing the HD format.

How could he pop the wrong laptop? Wasn't he difference between the BluRay and the DVD displays mindmeltingly different?

P_T
05-17-2006, 02:37 AM
How could he pop the wrong laptop? Wasn't he difference between the BluRay and the DVD displays mindmeltingly different?

The dude's a retard?

Or maybe he just wants to make a little sensation and generate more hits to his site?

I dunno man...:shrug:

Mikewilson2k5
05-17-2006, 02:42 AM
lol, I hate sony, so much.

DVD+R never works in my dvd players, i always buy dvd-r's

noisewar
05-17-2006, 02:54 AM
The dude's a retard?

Or maybe he just wants to make a little sensation and generate more hits to his site?

I dunno man...:shrug:

Well, hating on Sony is the new hip, time to take the dollar signs off our M$s and put them on $ony now. Bill's not selling the tabloids, dammit.

de_tomato
05-17-2006, 02:57 AM
Talk is like a fart, everyone has an ass. The one who report this just plainly retarted, like P_T said, probly he just want more visitor go to his site. Shame!

Mikewilson2k5
05-17-2006, 03:15 AM
It's not the fact that I had to get my computer fixed from the Rootkit.

Arrghman
05-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Here's some more pictures (http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/articles/11657.aspx).

Isn't that the Blu-ray logo on the laptop there?

Jackdeth
05-17-2006, 03:30 AM
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2939

Seems there were two players, one BluRay and one regular DVD. What an ass.

P_T
05-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Here's some more pictures (http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/articles/11657.aspx).

Isn't that the Blu-ray logo on the laptop there?

so? what's the logo got to do with it? blu-ray player is backward compatible with the normal DVD. Read the article I linked, they're showing the comparison of HD and normal DVD side by side using two of the same type of laptop.

Arrghman
05-17-2006, 03:46 AM
so? what's the logo got to do with it? blu-ray player is backward compatible with the normal DVD. Read the article I linked, they're showing the comparison of HD and normal DVD side by side using two of the same type of laptop.

Oh, my bad, I misread and thought that you meant that they were showing the two different laptops side by side, not the same laptop with different discs. Oops!

heavyness
05-17-2006, 05:08 AM
why did Sony have to use a copied version of House of Flying Daggers?

who knows if that was the blu-ray or not, but come on Sony, goto BestBuy and buy a copy...

LiquidMetal
05-17-2006, 05:24 AM
why did Sony have to use a copied version of House of Flying Daggers?

who knows if that was the blu-ray or not, but come on Sony, goto BestBuy and buy a copy...

So would it still be "illegal" since they kind of own HoFD?

PyRoT
05-17-2006, 08:18 AM

The only thing I would be concerned about with the copied version is intentional lowering of the quality with the DVD version. This could make normal DVD's unbearable to watch when compared to BluRay even if they were just a little degraded.

I would usually doubt such devious trickery but since the opposite of it is used with game promo videos I will be open minded. I'd still leab towards no foul play though.

itsallgoode9
05-17-2006, 10:55 AM
lol, I hate sony, so much.

DVD+R never works in my dvd players, i always buy dvd-r's

hahah, damn those DVD+R haha....i've had so many problems on people's computer with those. Funny man! (kinda sounded sarcastic, but it wasn't, I promise!)

hahaha, oh man.....that's a funny/interesting point! ha

Wohoo, Jackdeth is back. sorry to sound dorky/fanboyish but those harsh crits of yours are back for a bit, and it's makin' me happy.

the moral of my post is that, in the end I have nothing of substance to add to the thread. Suprise suprise:D

tciny
05-17-2006, 01:13 PM
http://digg.com/technology/_Sony_Blu-Ray_Goof_Debunked_

"For everyone who saw the earlier article about a Sony event where a laptop was playing a supposed Blu-Ray but ended up being a DVD; here is the proof otherwise. The two laptops were under a side-by-side comparison; that laptop wasn't even meant to be playing a Blu-Ray!"

RockinAkin
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about with the copied version is intentional lowering of the quality with the DVD version. This could make normal DVD's unbearable to watch when compared to BluRay even if they were just a little degraded.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking!
Thats a single layer DVD they copied and compressed House Of Flying Daggers onto.
Meaning about half of the original DVD's quality got thrown out during re-compression.

Is Sony really that insecure about their new technology that they cant even display a fair fight?

Lame.

P_T
05-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Thats a single layer DVD they copied and compressed House Of Flying Daggers onto.
Meaning about half of the original DVD's quality got thrown out during re-compression.

Is Sony really that insecure about their new technology that they cant even display a fair fight?

Lame.

The demonstration in question was a side-by-side comparison of Blu-ray Disc recorded content compared with a DVD recording of the same content. The identical notebooks were each playing the Sony Pictures release, “House of Flying Daggers”- one notebook showing the DVD format and the other showing the Blu-ray Disc format. Maybe they want to show that when you record video on blank blu-ray disc you can get 1080p compared to the even lower quality when you record using normal blank DVD?

It's like "Watch my wedding video in glorious full 1080p resolution!! you can even spot the hickey on the bridesmaid neck!!"

TumikSmacker
05-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Imagine if Sony stop releasing movies on DVD all together? Spiderman 3 would only be on Blu-Ray :O

RobertoOrtiz
05-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Imagine if Sony stop releasing movies on DVD all together? Spiderman 3 would only be on Blu-Ray :O
Thanks for posting that.

I been telling people up and down to BUY the DVD that they have been thinking of buying because the souped up version of the DVDs (with extras) will go the way of the dodo.
They will phase them out and ONLY offer plain versions of the DVDS and save the extras for the Blu Ray version.

This is already happening, apparently this same path is being done to the DVD release of the Chicken Little DVD.

-R

Tlock
05-17-2006, 07:10 PM
This is exactly what i have been saying to ppl for months. You may not like sony or whatever your issue is with them, but Sony has so much media unlike most of the backers of HD. The majority of hollywood studios will release in both formats until things settle and then they will only do one. In addition most of these studios work very very closely with Sony...so i don't know which will win but Sony has a lot of influence in this area unlike back when they released beta.

3dsMaxSux
05-17-2006, 08:57 PM
why Sony have to use a copied version of House of Flying Daggers?

I dont knows why Sony have to use a copied version of House of Flying Daggers?
Perhaps I will ask my frend, Kamran Butt, he works for sony, he has done so well u know he used to be a camel hirder. But on to the topic, we should have the best faith in sony because they make good walkman, and they employmy friend man from my village kamran.

pearson
05-18-2006, 03:12 AM

Lame.I think that's the real story, which is unfortunately lost in all the shouting about the reporter.

P_T
05-18-2006, 03:40 AM
I think that's the real story, which is unfortunately lost in all the shouting about the reporter.

No, it was lost in all the bullshit about the fake blu-ray cooked up by the "reporter" to discredit Sony.

Sony did comment on the Garlog site -
"I would like to clarify this issue regarding the content that was shown last night at the Sony VAIO 10th anniversary event.
The demonstration in question was a side-by-side comparison of Blu-ray Disc recorded content compared with a DVD recording of the same content. The identical notebooks were each playing the Sony Pictures release, “House of Flying Daggers”- one notebook showing the DVD format and the other showing the Blu-ray Disc format.
The photograph taken by one of the reporters attending the event was of the DVD version used for demo. The Blu-ray Disc media had no label. I can attest that the disc in question was a Blu-ray Disc as I organized the event.
The Blu-ray Disc media used, though not a final master, was encoded and displayed using Blu-ray Disc technology and rendered in true 1080p resolution. This resolution could not possibly have been duplicated using a DVD. I hope this clears up any confusion."

What you think is the real story doesn't always mean that it is, maybe there's more to it than meets the eye?

CupOWonton
05-18-2006, 04:50 AM
I think that's the real story, which is unfortunately lost in all the shouting about the reporter.
Actualy, it depends on the compression all together. Different formats compress but retain quality differently. If I remember, they were developing video cameras that encoded video on DVD's under a different format which retained full quality but took up half or less space.

PyRoT
05-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Maybe they want to show that when you record video on blank blu-ray disc you can get 1080p compared to the even lower quality when you record using normal blank DVD?

It's like "Watch my wedding video in glorious full 1080p resolution!! you can even spot the hickey on the bridesmaid neck!!"

Though this might be technically possible, it would still be a form of deception as no-one who saw the presentation or read those comments would first assume that it means recording onto a DVD. Nevertheless, if it is true that it was recompressed to a single-layer DVD, wel.. that just sucks.

I haven't yet seen HD video but I really wonder whether it really is that big a deal. Sure, it might look pretty for the first minute . Then, as you get immersed it will just seem like anyother movie you've watched. This immersion phenomenon occured to me even when I watched Scary Movie 2 from a cheap DV-cam recording of the cinema. Can anyone relate to me or am I just naturally cheap? :P

Tomek

Stahlberg
05-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I haven't yet seen HD video but I really wonder whether it really is that big a deal. Sure, it might look pretty for the first minute . Then, as you get immersed it will just seem like anyother movie you've watched. This immersion phenomenon occured to me even when I watched Scary Movie 2 from a cheap DV-cam recording of the cinema. Can anyone relate to me or am I just naturally cheap?
I can relate. Yes, the difference is clearly noticeable, and very nice, and if I had a free choice I would choose HD. Who wouldn't? But, to me it's not as awesomely earth-shattering as some seem to feel.

I've been looking around in stores a lot lately, and from what I've seen it's more important which TV you buy and which settings you use, than whether or not you're playing low-res or high-res on it. HD is just one attribute of many that can enhance the home theater experience.

P_T
05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Though this might be technically possible, it would still be a form of deception as no-one who saw the presentation or read those comments would first assume that it means recording onto a DVD. Nevertheless, if it is true that it was recompressed to a single-layer DVD, wel.. that just sucks.

I'm not quite sure what you meant there mate but if you checked the notebookreview.com link me and jackdeth provided from the first page, you'll see that they also have a different photo of that DVD+R being opened which means Sony wasn't trying to make it a secret.

That means anyone in that room could've asked Sony why they put that DVD+R disc in there. Unfortunately, the so called "reporter" was too busy thinking how he can put a spin on it to make Sony look bad.

pearson
05-18-2006, 06:00 PM
No, it was lost in all the bullshit about the fake blu-ray cooked up by the "reporter" to discredit Sony.

What you think is the real story doesn't always mean that it is, maybe there's more to it than meets the eye?I don't know why you're taking this so personally. All I said was that Sony claimed to be doing a comparison to show the difference in quality between Bluray and normal DVD, but they didn't use a normal DVD so we can't tell how much was lost in the ripping and recompression of the movie. Ripping and reburning can reduce the quality, whether they intended to or not.

The point is, whether they intentionally tried to make bluray look better, we can't tell. Without using a commercially pressed DVD, there is no basis for the comparison, which makes the results completely invalid. And technically, some commercially pressed DVDs are compressed more than others anyway, so the comparison in quality from any given DVD to a bluray may differ from another DVD.:shrug:

PhilOsirus
05-18-2006, 06:15 PM
That's not true, Sony was demonstrating recorded content of a Blu-Ray disc versus recorded content of a DVD, hence the reason they are not original copies. That was the very purpose of the presentation, people were aware of this.

This article is bull, it was easy to make some research first before saying "look it's a UFO! I got a picture to prove it!". But I guess some prefer not to actually bother and check up their sources to start such misleading threads.

Titus
05-18-2006, 06:19 PM
The point is, whether they intentionally tried to make bluray look better, we can't tell. Without using a commercially pressed DVD, there is no basis for the comparison, which makes the results completely invalid. And technically, some commercially pressed DVDs are compressed more than others anyway, so the comparison in quality from any given DVD to a bluray may differ from another DVD.:shrug:

I disagree. This wasn't intended as a real benchmark it was a simple demonstration of how HD and SD resolution looks, I bet the quality loss due to recompression was almost nothing if done properly.

P_T
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't know why you're taking this so personally. All I said was that Sony claimed to be doing a comparison to show the difference in quality between Bluray and normal DVD, but they didn't use a normal DVD so we can't tell how much was lost in the ripping and recompression of the movie. Ripping and reburning can reduce the quality, whether they intended to or not.

I really didn't take it personally mate, if I did, I would've resorted to name calling. I do admit I did get a bit fired up though, mostly because of that "...lost in all the shouting about the reporter" bit. To me, it sounded a bit like you were defending him and imo he deserved every bit of crap thrown at him for that bs information.

I posted this quote before The Blu-ray Disc media used, though not a final master, was encoded and displayed using Blu-ray Disc technology and rendered in true 1080p resolution. I take that as the blu-ray version wasn't a commercially pressed disc either.

Another thing is, they could've only copied half the movie into that DVD or even just several chapters. If that was the case, the movie could've had the same quality as a full commercially pressed DVD.

Only the people at that event would know if they bothered to ask Sony but we know at least one person there didn't.

Sorry if you think I took it personally.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.