PDA

View Full Version : question: A COMPLETE MORPH/BlendSHAPE SET.

levin
01-07-2003, 05:58 PM
what would be your ideal list of morphtargets for emotions, phoenemes, etc...?

Laa-Yosh
01-07-2003, 09:39 PM
I would rather not model discrete emotion shapes; instead, create separate shapes for the eyebrows, the eyes, the mouth and a few correctional shapes. Or you can try to isolate the shapes based on the facial muscles.

This way the animators can play with them like building blocks to create anything they like, and they won't have to stick to the fixed combinations like 'anger' or 'big smile'.

For more realistic characters, you may also have to create transitional shapes; for example going from an 'o' phoneme to an 'm' might require an extra step because of the linear nature of morphing. You can easily create such shapes by setting (in this example) the 'o' and 'm' shape to 50-50%, and then freeze the model and tweak the points to get the desired shape. Or you can try to use a hybrid setup with clusters/bones but that'll keep getting more and more difficult ;)

Laa-Yosh
01-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Some valuable info should be here:
http://coldfusion.art.msstate.edu/camenisch/thehumanhead/

However the site seems to be down at the moment...

ambient-whisper
01-08-2003, 09:08 AM
personally what i do is something like laa-yosh describes where you isolate parts and do targets for those parts..and then mix.
but also i make actual facial expressions for anger etc..

reason i do this is just so i can get to those expressions faster later....and i can mix with the isolated displacements as well.

starla30
01-09-2003, 08:15 PM
i find a good approach is to separate the mouth, brows, eyes, and other parts of the face. for the mouth, depending on the emotion, i'll either put the whole mouth change in one morph or divide it into two. for instance, in a smile i like to have a morph for the left side of the mouth smiling and a seperate one for the right side. this makes for more compelling freedom when you animate. but a surprised "ooh" shape may as well include the whole mouth in one morph. check out gary faigin's book on facial expressions. it really helps determine how many shapes you need to mimic the facial muscles AND what those expressions should look like. the usual number of phonemes is generally 12. this site has great examples of phonemes: http://www.geocities.com/~gcmartin/phoneme_examples.html

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.