PDA

View Full Version : After skinning,can I go back to work on mesh?

Martypt
05-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi

I am in the middle of rigging & skinning my first character with Character studio for Max.

My question is : Once I have the rig and skinning done properly,can I still go back (after rigged and skinning the character) to the mesh and tweak and adjust the mesh? In other words when the model is rigged/skinned,can I still work on the mesh?

If so how do I go about this? Just go back to edit mesh?

I want to create a sister for my first character,a off shoot of the main one,but want to avoid doing a whole new rig and skin job for the 2nd character.

OK,thanks very much for any help.I'll be hoping to get helped out of the fog i am now in.:)

Thanks again.

stewartjones
05-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Save out the skin data and you can re-apply that to another character. However if you do change the mesh you will have to tweak a few areas, if not a lot of it (if it's big changes).

Save out the main rig (no mesh, skin etc, just the joints and controls). You will then be able to merged other meshes into that file and skin them, in turn just transfering the rig.

Hope that helps

Cheers

-Stu

Edit: AH! Character Studio... I'm not too sure about using that as I don't have a lot of experience with the biped character or anything. You can give it a go though, I can't see why it wouldn't work!

virtualmesh
05-16-2006, 10:56 PM
If you already have the character skinned to the underlying bone rig and are happy with how it's verts blend among the bones that drive the mesh then why not save it to a separate file and then merge it back into your scene as many times as you want (so you end up with an exact duplicate of the character - mesh and rig) and then add an edit mesh or edit poly above skin within your additional character's modifier stack. If your base character has enough resolution within it's topoligy then you could still move verts around to change the character's features.

I find that working with a base character that has a functional rig to animate along with just the right level of skinning is best. I have a single Morph modifier above the skin modifier which allows me to blend into shape multiple/different characters. I then don't have to worry about skinning my many unique characters.

Martypt
05-17-2006, 07:49 AM
virtualmesh :thumbsup:
&
vyntax :thumbsup:

Big thanks to both of you.I really appreaciate it.You both helped me out greatly with your advice and explanations.A real big help.

Thanks again to you both,it's a major help.:buttrock:

PEN
05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
In Max you can just go below Skin in the stack and edit the mesh. Even adding and subtracting vertices via any method of sub dividing the original mesh will automaticaly update the Skin modifier, some adjustments might be needed but it will all work.

If major changes need to take place on it like attaching objects to the original mesh that will not update the Skin modifier just update a separete mesh and then Skin Wrap that to the original then convert the Skin Wrap to skin and delete the original mesh when you are done.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.