PDA

View Full Version : align a normal to another normal... how to ?

Raynix
05-16-2006, 08:37 PM
After many many different tries, I haven't found a way to replicate the function Normal Align in the program 3ds Max.

It consist of selecting a face on a object and making it align with another face on another object.

bah.. in other words, you select a face, it becomes the reference of which face you want to objec to align on another object face...

here's an attachment which will make it simple...

blinky
05-18-2006, 01:20 PM
if you look in your transfrom thing on the right hand side ( left click one not right click ) theres a button there called "ref" if u right click on that it brings up some options that allow u to use verts / edges / polys as a reference.

i think thats what u are after

Raynix
05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
that works well when you want to use a cube with the center of the pivot... because it only use the pivot.

it wont work for a particular face on an object to glue on another particular face of a second object like shown on the picture.

Open 3ds Max if you have it and search for Normal Align... you'll see that it does quite a nice job.

My guess is that function is not doable in XSI for now, but might be in the next version ... which they should definetly work on IMO.

thx anyway

kimaldis
05-18-2006, 05:34 PM
create a cluster of your face, constrain your object to the cluster, activate normal alignment in the normal tab. Kill the constraint and delete the cluster.

if you do it a lot you can wrap that lot up in a script.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2006, 05:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.