PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg Article: Sony's PS3 May Launch With Fewer, Less-Powerful Game Titles

Solothores
05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
May 16 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 introduction in November may be hampered by fewer and less-powerful games because the company hasn't given final technical details of the new console, according to video-game publishers.

THQ Inc. decided it didn't have enough information to make a version of ``The Sopranos'' for PS 3, according to Chief Executive Officer Brian Farrell. Other developers will release a first batch of games that don't use all the power of Sony's new Cell processor, Sega of America President Simon Jeffrey said.

Sony's delay in providing details and access to the new chip shortens the time that game-makers have to perfect titles before the PS3 hits store shelves. Some games will be delayed, while others won't have features that take full advantage of the machine's power. With fewer titles ready, video-game companies may make less sales during the Christmas holiday season.

``A lot of developers have not gotten the kits,'' Jeffrey said in an interview last week at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. ``There certainly will not be a lot of titles available.'' [Read More] (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&sid=a6GO5hFhD.M0&refer=japan)

- If true, explains a bit the shortage of shown games on E3

tciny
05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Not really surprising... PS2 launch titles were rather mediocre too. Yet this time I think Nintendo made the right bet with the Wii. (Still an awful name... "Would you like to come over later and play with my wii?")

psyop63b
05-16-2006, 06:57 PM
I still feel the high price of the console will be the biggest barrier facing the PS3's success.

jewalker
05-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I always felt with the radically different design of the Cell processor that it would take awhile for game developers to learn how to realize its full potential. If Sony is being slow getting prototypes and development kits to developers, I don't expect to see any mind-blowing games for a couple of years. I'm guessing there will be some good games at release time, but none that just make you say "wow".

LucentDreams
05-16-2006, 07:54 PM
meh not a big concern, I don't think that most xbox 360 games I"ve played so far use the xbox 360's capabilities very well so far either. Practice makes perfect.

Fact is Shadow of the Colossus is an unparalleled game on PS2, showing next gen type graphics on a current system (not as good but comparable to initial release titles) It takes a lot of time before the developers will really be comfortable with the new systems and utilize them to their full potential.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2006, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.