PDA

View Full Version : Simple abstract taking XXX hours to render ?

fif
05-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi,

once again i was playing around with matrix extrude abstracs, so i came up with a shape i liked a bit, put an ice-like material on it, added a sphere and a floor object with simple glossy materials, switched OFF any kind of GI/AO/Caustics, 1024x768.

after 15 hours of rendering, maybe 1/10 of the picture is rendered, if not less.

im running the render on a P4 2,5ghz with 1gb ram, thats not the best of course, though i thought it would be a *bit* faster !

right now i dont know what i couldve done wrong, since there is absolutely nothing impressive in the picture.

i attached the project file, if anyone wants to have a look at it.

thanks in advance

tcastudios
05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
It's the Transparency and Fog that kills it.
You can replace the fog with the Luminance channel instead using a Gradient set to camera axis.

The transparency I really don't know, but there are loads of geometry to look thru, so that will take time as it is.
Try what kind if transparency you would like to have on a simpler object first.

The area light also adds some but not in relation to the materials.

Cheers
Lennart

Darth Mole
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
This image took 45 mins with NO anti-aliasing on a G5 Quad.

The main problem is the 'ice' Material; without it, you can do a full-screen preview render in a couple of minutes.

As tcaststudios says, the transparency is the real culprit - though the fog doesn't help (and doesn't help the image either).

4dthieves
05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Change Antialiasing to Geometry
Change Light 3's Shadow type to Soft
Kill Dispersion in the Transparency Channel
Lower the Ray Depth and Shadow Depth to from 15 to 8.
Bump the Threshold up to 10%.

You should get a preview that renders in about 10 secs on a Quad.
This is a great example of wasted computation. With the fog and lights blowing out the center so much the detailed settings for transparency, reflection, and shadow are pointless. (that's where human optimization comes in). I would suggest starting abstract textures from scratch and building up bit by bit so you can see what everything is doing.

-m

fif
05-16-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks a lot for the helpful advices !

im gonna redo the whole materials and try out more settings and options, so i get a better feeling for whats doing what.

thanks again,

tim

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2006, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.