PDA

View Full Version : Joystiq: Metal Gear Solid Movie ( Live Action)

ParamountCell
05-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Please do not mess this up, I would have thought that the games story would have been much better suited for an anime.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/15/metal-gear-solid-movie-confirmed-definitively/

noisewar
05-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Solid Snake: David Hayter
Liquid Snake: Daniel Craig
Revolver Ocelot: Gary Oldman
Meryl Silverburg: Milla Jovovich
Vulcan Raven: The Rock
Psycho Mantis: Alan Cummings
Sniper Wolf: Famke Janssen or Monica Bellucci in a blond wig
Otacon: Kiefer Sutherland
Roy Campbell: Gene Hackman

:thumbsup: :bounce: :thumbsup: :bounce: :thumbsup:

danshewan
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
"Metal Gear Solid creator, Hideo Kojima, has already ruled out Uwe Boll as a directorial candidate of a possible cinematic adaptation of the celebrated series..."

But why? :D

Seriously though, if they screw this up, I'll never forgive them. Kojima has to have a very hands-on role in the production. But I agree with some of noisewar's casting suggestions above (the most glaring exceptions being Milla Jovovich and The Rock). Who else but David Hayter could play Snake?

Lamster
05-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Sigh... Why do I have a feeling this is gonna be rotten tomatoes fodder? I for one can hardly imagine the storyline from the game working on the big screen. Having enemy boss battles appear one after another doesn't really make for a cool movie IMO. And the worst part is, I'd be disappointed too if they were to change any of the plot from the game to adapt to the big screen. I'd frankly rather they left it alone as a game :).

... I'd watch it anyway HAHAHA.

Terence

Backlund
05-16-2006, 01:05 PM
I've always thought of Hugh Jackman as the perfect Snake. In fact I think Kojima himself said he'd be great for the role a while back...

erilaz
05-16-2006, 02:52 PM
This will be very, very cool... or will suck amazingly. I have faith in Kojima though, he wouldn't let his baby go to waste.

Hopefully they'll get Harry Gregson-Williams back to do the score... he made MGS2 fantastic.

JWRodegher
05-16-2006, 02:59 PM
I've just seen the 15min long video, and I was talking with a friend about how they could actually make a movie out of that. I haven't played MGS much, but I've always loved those cinematics and the style (not to mention the art around it, drawings and such). I'm really happy to know they are going for the movie now. If it is half as good as the cinematics, it still would be great.

P_T
05-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Zhang Ziyi from Memoirs of a Geisha can be Mei Ling. :love:but that'll add an extra few millions to the cost. :(

Kwe
05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
i have 2 requests/suggestions, hehe...

Solid Snake: Eric Bana
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/Manips/banasnakecompare1.jpg

Meryl Silverburgh: Scarlett Johansson
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/Manips/merylscarlettcompare1.jpg

that is all, thank you :D

gotsds
05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
i have 2 requests/suggestions, hehe...

Solid Snake: Eric Bana
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/Manips/banasnakecompare1.jpg

Meryl Silverburgh: Scarlett Johansson
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/Manips/merylscarlettcompare1.jpg

that is all, thank you :D

hahaha thats awesome!!

PhilOsirus
05-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Solid Snake has to be Hugh Jackman. David Hayater looks nothing like Snake, and his voice works for a game but certainly not for a serious movie.

They should really make MGS3 tho, it can start and end there. MGS1's story is too complicated.

tciny
05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Why not somebody that's not yet had his breakthrough role? I'd dearly like to see snake being a unique character where I dont have Wolverine in the back of my head. I think it helps to really accept the character when you dont know the face yet.

heavyness
05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
http://www.informacyde.com/weblog/images/people/hasselhoff.jpg
as Solid Snake

Bonedaddy
05-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Snake = Kurt Russell. I thought everyone knew that. ;)

noisewar
05-16-2006, 11:22 PM

Kurt Russell = Big Boss :scream:

dalmanna
05-16-2006, 11:29 PM

lol yeah, in mgs2 he even calls himself pliskin when he's undercover. kojima knew what he was doing

kmest
05-18-2006, 09:49 AM
why kojima himself dont direct this live movie??the cinematic directions of the game was amazing and it shows that he understand cinema much more than many of those who direct movies on hollywood....

_______
acelot: please snake,dont kill me for god sakes,,
snake:my names pliskin......

BANG

escape from LA music starts

HellBoy
05-18-2006, 11:53 AM
hmmm how about Colonel Campbell as Gene Hackman

ParamountCell
05-18-2006, 12:16 PM

I agree.

and for sniper wolf?

http://shadowmoses.altervista.org/WOLF_HEAD.JPGhttp://a330.g.akamai.net/7/330/2540/20050811223330/www.variety.com/graphics/photos/mugg/grace_maggie.jpg

maggie grace

Wongedan
05-18-2006, 12:24 PM
KURT RUSSEL!! no replacement!

Backlund
05-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah Kurt would make a great Snake, but I guess it depends on the script... he's pretty old.

kmest
05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
he's pretty old.
not for metal gear solid 4

Sonk
05-18-2006, 09:17 PM
not for metal gear solid 4

Kurt is still way too short!

HellBoy
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Most of the suggested names are big, which means big budget, right

CupOWonton
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Bruce Campbell should be somewhere in the game too. He needs to be added to MGS..

HapZungLam
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
same comment to warcraft lifeaction movie. I 'll say better make it full CG rather than lifeaction

P_T
05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
same comment to warcraft lifeaction movie. I 'll say better make it full CG rather than lifeaction

Nah man, unlike Warcraft, many more of the fx in this movie should be able to be done as practical fx. But of course if that article about the CG boom is right, they'll give it a $200mill budget for the vfx anyway. :D

dalmanna
05-19-2006, 12:15 AM

i always thought campbell looks like the colonel from first blood, in mgs one he does anyway. but that said hackman would be totally awesome

P_T
05-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Bruce Campbell should be somewhere in the game too. He needs to be added to MGS..

Bruce Campbell as Solid Snake.

*Snake silently approached the soldier and as he gets behind him, he puts a knife to the soldier's neck.

"Hail to the king baby...," he whispered as he slit his throat. He then took the soldier's weapon which happened to be a shotgun and quickly put it against the head of another soldier and said, "This is my... BOOMSTICK!!" and blew his brains out.

The loud rapport of the shotgun alerted the nearby patrol squad which then raised the alarm...*

danshewan
05-19-2006, 01:03 PM
As much fun as endless casting speculations are, I'm just as interested in the production design; if they get this wrong, it won't matter who plays Snake and friends.

The overall style of MGS is so distinctive and stylized, they have to select a production designer capable of conveying this to the big screen. And in response to an earlier post, I think that MGS would definitely work as a movie plot; obviously they wouldn't opt for Snake defeating a succession of 'bosses', but would surely adopt the intricate and involving political climate that surrounds the MGS stories. Of course, this would have to be based on an excellent script, and I can't see Kojima relinquishing total control of one of his most beloved aspects of creative input (but the dialogue would need a second pair of eyes - some of Snake's in-game questions are just awful!)

PaulAdams
05-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Just discussing this with a friend earlier, it's almost eerie that an actor, even the biggest actor in the world, has to fill such large shoes. Solid Snake has become such an iconic character in a game thats nearly a film anyway, he's been so brilliantly fleshed out by the Kojima team that its almost like playing a real person, but one you cant speak to for research.

This, of course is presuming they get someone whos actually heard of the game. What are the chances of the cast being from that 'video game actors' clique that consists of Jovovich, Rodriguez, Rock, and the like.

I'm almost tempted to say this would be better left to CG, allowing Kojima and the team to have control over everything - but I want to see where it goes Live action. Hopefully a decent budget is allowed.

danshewan
05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Just discussing this with a friend earlier, it's almost eerie that an actor, even the biggest actor in the world, has to fill such large shoes. Solid Snake has become such an iconic character in a game thats nearly a film anyway, he's been so brilliantly fleshed out by the Kojima team that its almost like playing a real person, but one you cant speak to for research.

Agreed - as an actor, I'd be really intimidated even auditioning for the role of Snake. And yes, whilst David Hayter may not look like Snake, whoever gets the part has to soundlike Snake or else it simply won't work. I can't see them doing a whole movie's worth of lip-sync work, so what are they going to do?

In many ways, despite waiting for this announcement for literally years, I'm not even sure I'm looking forward to the film - I just don't see how they'll possibly please the fans, or even do justice to the whole concept of MGS unless they try and go for an entirely-CG movie. We've seen what can be acheived with FF:TSW, so let's see them up the ante and make MGS the CG movie that all future efforts are measured against.

EVIL
05-19-2006, 02:44 PM
In a recent interview with Christian Bale, the forthcoming Batman has reportedly confirmed his role as none other then Solid Snake in the forthcoming Metal Gear Solid motion-picture adaptation.

Supposedly Bale is quoted as stating “He's the only guy you will ever know who won't get the living daylights beat out of him for having a mullet.”

source are various news websites

danshewan
05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
source are various news websites

http://www.popcultureshock.com/news.php?id=1521

One amongst many, and to be quite honest the integrity of this claim is seriously suspect - without any supporting evidence (or even speculation as to where Christian Bale was quoted saying this) the poster could have simply fabricated such a claim just to see how fast his fictional claim could circulate the 'net.

Christian Bale? I couldn't picture him as Batman either, but it worked.... :shrug:

PhilOsirus
05-19-2006, 07:07 PM
They have to make MGS3 (with the Big Boss / The Boss sotyr). MGS1 will be so complicated to new audiences.

dalmanna
05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
They have to make MGS3 (with the Big Boss / The Boss sotyr). MGS1 will be so complicated to new audiences.

why's that?

PhilOsirus
05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
MGS3's story starts and ends in MGS3. You don't need to know anything about the series, you could even play it before all other Metal Gear games without a problem. MGS1 has a story about two cloned soldiers, one of which is threatening to lunch a nuclear weapon, a metal gear (not the first metal gear produced either, just a new version), etc etc. Too much has to be explained.

And MGS3 has a more original story and the last fight + the ending would translate very well to the big screen. It's most mature MGS story thus far.

dalmanna
05-20-2006, 01:43 AM
MGS3's story starts and ends in MGS3. You don't need to know anything about the series, you could even play it before all other Metal Gear games without a problem. MGS1 has a story about two cloned soldiers, one of which is threatening to lunch a nuclear weapon, a metal gear (not the first metal gear produced either, just a new version), etc etc. Too much has to be explained.

And MGS3 has a more original story and the last fight + the ending would translate very well to the big screen. It's most mature MGS story thus far.

fair point, but saying that, starwars 'A New hope' had a back story it referenced quite a bit, which just gave the universe a more realistic feel (well as far as starwars goes) i think it could work the same in mgs. the thing with mgs1 is that your given this notion that snake has this awesome history of war, which helps build his legend, 3 was like you say a completely different story.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2006, 01:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.