PDA

View Full Version : WIP AM baseball pitch

Darknessseeker0
05-16-2006, 03:41 AM
Hey guys! I'm reworking the baseball pitch that I did for AnimationMentor last quarter to put on my Disney internship reel. I'm spending today refining as much of it as possible so I can spend all of tomorow polishing it. After what you see in the clip, Stewie will realize the ball will be returned to him and will walk backwards to catch it. I cut it off at this stopping point so it would still look complete, just in case I dont get far enough with the rest by tomorow.

Right now the head is really bothing me, but I'm trying to resist messing with it until I start polishing, as right now I'm trying to focus on animating the large actions. If you guys see anything thats wrong with this so far, please let me know! I'll be uploading updates of the animation as I go along. Thanks!

Baseball Pitch (http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Ejcofer20/pitchRedo.avi)

Darknessseeker0
05-16-2006, 11:35 PM
The animation's been up-dated...

Baseball Pitch (http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Ejcofer20/pitchRedo.avi)

Darknessseeker0
05-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Hey, I have a question. Is it at all possible to keep the pitch animation stylized? I really liked how the back leg agter the pitch stayed in the air before coming down, but each time I revise it, I end up reducing that. It seems like by the time it's finished the cartoony element will be gone. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Chris Bacon
05-17-2006, 02:27 AM
From frames 60 - 93 the head apears as though its floating on the body...

Darknessseeker0
05-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Thanks Vivec! Here's another animation up-date

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jcofer20/pitchRedo.avi

Darknessseeker0
05-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Here's the final version:

Baseball Pitch (http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Ejcofer20/pitchR.mov)

There's still a bunch of stuff wrong with it. I wish I had more time, but I had to send the reel today to ensure it got to Disney by Friday.

Darknessseeker0
05-17-2006, 10:20 PM
65 views and only one comment from someone aside from myself...

rblitz7
05-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Come on people I think this animation is just fantastic!:scream: Very fluid and timing looks really good!:thumbsup:

Darknessseeker0
05-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Lol, thanks rblitz! :scream:

mistasam02
05-18-2006, 04:02 AM
hmmmmmm......

lol.. it looks great! all the animation is flawless, and i love the overlaps! but somethings bothering me... i think it's that your character rears up to throw this massively powerful pitch, but then kinda slows down. the pitch is fast, but he takes a step first, then throws, then takes a step with very little stress shown.

i know in real life, to exert the most force, you take that step, and then throw.. but in here it kinda slows the whole motion down. i think it would be even more stylized/cartoony if he just jumped straight into the throw.. like throw/take step at the same time, and then takes more steps to counter that power.

iono, i had to say something cuz you didnt get many posts. and the file was only 150k!! but yea, it's a great animation piece.. i just thought the timing coulda been a lil different in the throw. anywayz, keep up the good work! cheers :thumbsup:

freakmoomin
05-20-2006, 02:22 PM
lookin good man!

the only thing i noticed is that i think he kinda throws the ball and his whole body is kinda in a straight line (facing the way he is throwing). i feel he should have more rotation towards the camera around frames 31-38 and then rotate out and throw.

hard to explain what i mean on this interweb stuff ;-)

good anim tho

Darknessseeker0
05-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks mistasam02 and freakmoomin! You both have raised good points and I'll be sure to write them down so I can revise the animation whenever I get a chance to. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2006, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.