PDA

View Full Version : creating/transferring animated rigs

Tracey King
05-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm beginning a new project as lead, but my character animator has limited experience with Maya, and I have very little knowledge of character animation. He wants to buy Motion Builder, but our company is reluctant to make the investment. I am wondering if it is possible to create a rig with basic animation sets (walk, hit, attack, death, etc) that can be used on different meshes of different proportions, and then further tweaked. If it is possible, can someone please walk me through the basics, or let me know where I can find the info?

Thanks!

sreedhar3d
05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Last time when i worked in a project same requirement i was trying,

i made a simple setup for that.

First i animated one Character then Bake the animation on to the bones.

then in what ever proportion u hv the other character the only thing u need to keep is the

hierarchy same. then u can transfer animation with animexport plugin.

if any problem comes u just need to delete the keys on translation of all bone except to root

bone. that's it

i hope u under stand.

my mail id is sreedhar3d@gmail.com

i

nagarajusoma
05-16-2006, 02:07 PM
endi

baaga seppinav

unta mari

puresugar
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
There are a few ways of achieving that,

One is through referencing,
You build a character with Rig and you reference it into a new scene you animate it here.
If you change the character the scene will update. You can save out a few different versions of you character and Replace the reference in your animation file. See where I am going?

There is a great tool, called Anim export you have to enable it in the Plug-in Manager. You select your controlers in a certain order, and File/Exportselection that will save a liitle file (.anim) which contains only the animation curves and you can use that on any other selection of controlers. So you take your new character select the controlers and go File/Import make sure you select the controlers in the same order as on the export file and there is your animation. (save a mel button with the selection on your shelf)

If you created similar charactersets you could copy and paste animations from one characterset to another

You could create character clips and use the Traxeditor.

You could animate just the skeleton and set a key for a bindpose at frame -10, then you could bind this skeleton to different meshes at that frame.

Maya 7 has the FB/IK rig which is similar to Motionbuilder, you can use that in combination with any of the above. Save the money for a copy of MB.

Sure there are a few more ways of doing that.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.