PDA

View Full Version : creating/transferring animated rigs

Tracey King
05-15-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm beginning a new project as lead, but my character animator has limited experience with Maya, and I have very little knowledge of character animation. He wants to buy Motion Builder, but our company is reluctant to make the investment. I am wondering if it is possible to create a rig with basic animation sets (walk, hit, attack, death, etc) that can be used on different meshes of different proportions, and then further tweaked. If it is possible, can someone please walk me through the basics, or let me know where I can find the info?

Thanks!

PEN
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Well you can copy and paste animation from one rig to another. As well you could use the referencing system to swap out rigs. Neither will take into account changes in the proportions of the character. I don't think that there is anything built into Maya that allows for that. That being said anything can be written with MEL.

Motion builder will make it easier to handle those changes as it has a better idea of what it is. You can also look at Max using character studio which will do the same as motion builder or in Max you have Save/Load animation for custom rigs that will allow for complete retargeting of motion data so if a characters size changes you can scale the animation accordingly.

In your situaltion since you already have Maya Motion builder might be the best option.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.