PDA

View Full Version : want to be a rigger.

3d2w.john
05-15-2006, 05:31 AM
file:///I:/Bappy_Animation/Eco_heart.gifi know how to animate anything. but my prob is, rigging part is difficult for me. coz there'z many scripting. is there any way to do a character with easy rig?plz help mefile:///I:/Bappy_Animation/Eco_heart.giffile:///I:/Bappy_Animation/Eco_heart.giffile:///I:/Bappy_Animation/Eco_heart.gif

scrimski
05-15-2006, 08:01 AM
You can't link to your harddisk. Either upload your pictures as attachments or upload them on a picturehost and link.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267088&

dunkelzahn
05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
There are some procedural rigging systems out there, which tend to easen the workload you have to do. What experiences do you have in FK/IK, skinning , joint hierarchy and scripted animations? What software would you be using to animate? Depending on this, we might be able to tell you some more.

Basically you should be able to build a pretty solid rig without any scripting, just with a proper anatomy hierarchy and some IK solvers. The hard part is the skinning which might take some while and is hard to dodge.

Cheers

Chris

twedzel
05-17-2006, 12:14 AM
"is there any way to do a character with easy rig?"

Yes and no. The question isn't is there an easy way to rig... the question is, is how animatable is a rig that is easy to set up?

If you are an animator I would recommend you get over your fear of rigging and just dive on in. It'll make you a better animator in the long run. You can make incerdibly robust rigs without one iota of a script or expression. Most riggers just script the process to speed up the rote tasks and allow them to concentrate on what really matters.

csc2h
05-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Rigging can be described not on a scale of easy or hard, but on a scale of how well you actually understand what is going on when you do rig a character. A lot of error in rigging comes from the fact that you do not know what is wrong when something breaks or why it is doing that. Rigging is a visual way of programming a static mesh for movement. You can rig completely from programming if you want...If you really want to get good at rigging, I would recommend to really delve into it hard, and with everything you dont understand, figure it out and ask "why?". The biggest advice when it comes to rigging is to keep it as simple and clean as possible. Complicated and way over the top with controls the animator will never touch is pointless and a waiste of your time and workflow. Some books I recommend:
-The Art of Rigging Vol 1 and 2
-"Mel Companion" or other mel book
-HyperRealistic Character Creation by Alias
-Anatomy books

Also another good practice is to find rigs and autosetups on the internet and just figure them out and how they work...Hope this helps some...

eek
05-22-2006, 12:45 AM
What happened with this? id like to the see the pic. From you topic do you want to be a rigger? umm.. or help with solving an issue? hmm.. a character with an easy rig is like saying.. id like a work of art using crayons.. a rig should be dependant on the character and what it needs to acheive in the game/film/short and not based on series of 'must haves'.

cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 12:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.