PDA

View Full Version : Peltier Cooling

singularity2006
01-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for safely implenting a peltier cooling solution for an Athlon XP 2100+?

And just in case ya'll aren't familiar w/ peltier cooling, it's a method of cooling that uses two materials that have two different electron densities sandwhiched many times that when given an electrical current, try to achieve equilibrium. The more electronically dense material gives off electrons while the other tries to take electrons and in the process cause one to get really h0t and the other to get frosty cold... these peltier coolers produce one side that is like 140*F and the other side a frosty -20*C @ max efficiency in some cases ... one side obviously goes onto the CPU die and the other end makes contact w/ the heat sink.

However, the problem that arises here is that the heat sink produces excess case heat meaning u need one heck of a cooling solution for your case but your CPU stays frosty cold even when overclocked.

The next issue is that when u turn off the computer, the h0t and c0ld regions begin to return to an equilibrium temperature as the electrons settle back to the normal densities and the h0t and c0ld regions begin to ... I dare say ... CONDENSATE!!! =X Thus effectively frying the CPU or whatever may come in contact. I've seen all sorts of different things from silicon sealing the CPU and never turning off the computer and this and that ... but nothing SAFE.

Anyh0w, another big problem is that these peltier coolers often suck up more juice than the Wild Cat dual vide0 cards and require their own direct connect to your power supply... *shivers* ... but for -20*C on the CPU.... where do we find a balance???? :shrug:

Bradf0rd010
01-08-2003, 07:42 AM
The first thing is, you can use peltiers in one of two ways.

1.) Just to maintain the CPU at a comfortable temp. There is a product hitting the market soon that is essentially a regulated TEC with a HSF strapped to the back.
The regulator plugs into the PCI slot, and power hooks up through an external connector.
With a little ingenuity you can build a similar system yourself.

2.) To 'thermically accelerate' your CPU. (Which is the term kryotech coined back in the day :cool: ) In this case always insulate your CPU and the surrounding PCB/components of the main board. Typically you use foam and seal the surrounding area as well as anything below ambient is going to cause condensation. You'd also be well advised to use water cooling in this situation.

In either case, the TEC will have to powered from it's own source rather than the PSU.

Dangerden (http://www.dangerden.com/mall/peltiers.asp) would be a good place to start looking at supplies.

Hope that helps a little :thumbsup:

singularity2006
01-08-2003, 08:38 AM
TEC, HSF? Sorry, I'm not really good w/ acronyms. Are those just other forms of the peltier cooler? And foam insulating?? fascinating.... And as for the water cooling, I was thinking of that actually. And instead of water, I was just going to "acquire" some de-ionized water from the local college. Is de-ionized water available for consumers? I've never actually seen it in stores.

Bradf0rd010
01-08-2003, 09:57 PM
TEC = Thermo Electric Cooler. The more 'formal' name for peltier.

HSF = Heat Sink Fan. Refers to the cooler on your processor.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.