PDA

View Full Version : Character: Ara

HieSpike
01-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Hi all,
You might have seen this boy in the wip forum..but here he is for his first publicity shot!!
I will soon have a poster for my animated short titled "Ara's Flight" that will be somewhat similar to this (but better..I hope).
The short is my final undergrad project at SFSU and hopefully will be completed in April.

peace,
Kane
C&C welcome!

samartin
01-07-2003, 07:35 AM
I really luv them textures u done there and also the model... I guess u're using UV Textures 2 do the hair ???

I think the sky looks like a low-res background image but that could be down 2 the compression ??? Also the eyelashes don't look right 2 me, maybe need thickening up and on the right eyelid they seem 2 disappear as tho' they're not doublesided...

but apart from my crits a v. nice image and the colours r well sweet... nice job :thumbsup:

HieSpike
01-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the comments samartin,..I sure with more people in the community would comment on the forums they looked at. Each post in here has like a 100/1 reply ratio. Do people just not have the time to comment?...oh well.

Either way, the hair is UV and so is the vest, but the shirt is just a planer map.

I painted the sky last night so...the blurryness is partly due to the compression and partly due to the painting. I will be painting many more backgrounds for the flight sequence.

The eyelashes are just too short I would say...they are doublesided and its not the compression...so maybe I'll make them longer.

Peace and thanks again for the comments,
Kane
:thumbsup:

Blackassheep
01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
I like her eyes and hari. The angle of the sun is good to acording to the background.Nice work Bro

HieSpike
01-07-2003, 06:03 PM
thanks....but he's a he...not a her!! ;)

I guess he does look a bit feminine.

peace,
Kane

king of tartine
01-07-2003, 06:10 PM
:thumbsup: that all!

nibo
01-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Look'n very cool dude!
The colors of that background fit good with the character, but I don't think I like the cloudy-background with this pic. (at this angle)
But anyway, GREAT STUFF!
:airguitar

santiagolomillo
01-07-2003, 07:06 PM
this model is fantastic. I love the proportions...this balance between cartoon style and realistic, this boy is alive.

maybe you could make the eyebrows thiner. I belive.

HieSpike
01-07-2003, 07:49 PM
thanks guys,
The clouds in the final poster will be a reflection map on the window....so maybe that will help.

peace,
Kane

bilbo3d
01-07-2003, 08:06 PM
great character - love the chubby cheeks. the textures for the eyes have grown on me.

i'm assuming he's IN the clouds? depth of field could help...

neat-o! :applause:

mushroomgod
01-07-2003, 08:09 PM
very nice...has a realy nice soft feel to the render :thumbsup:

E.Z. Schwartz
01-08-2003, 01:25 AM
That's really good. I like the colors a lot. The only thing I don't like is his pointy chin. I used liquify in photoshop to bring that point up and make his chin round and I think it looked a lot better. Kids should have round features, sharp ones on kids aren't really pleasing to the eye (my eye at least) and it looks like that's what you're going for with this picture. It made him look more like a boy too for some reason :p Really good job. :thumbsup:

Ezra

HieSpike
01-08-2003, 03:40 AM
Thanks Schwartz...
I think your right!!...I'll definitely fix that.

peace,
Kane

slooper
01-08-2003, 04:11 AM
The mouth looks really good - I modeled a child character recently and the mouth was most difficult. Great job!

devonpis
01-08-2003, 04:50 AM
i agree with mushroomgod that this model has some kind of soft felling, and i like it a lot:applause:

well, i'm not sure but it seems that the reflection of the eyes is not enough, maybe u can try to raise the reflection map for them

HieSpike
01-08-2003, 06:50 AM
thanks again for the comments!!!

Here is a shot of the building he will be in.
I'm still working on putting in the ivy...anyone know a good way to simulate ivy...I'm about to model it all.

hope you like.

peace,
Kane

Remi
01-08-2003, 02:34 PM
so what is it....a he or a she...hmm you've changed your mind I see...still a very nice image...I agree about the chin though...fix that and it'll look more childish...:thumbsup:

shoey
01-08-2003, 03:41 PM
love the lighting. nice work:thumbsup:

slice56
01-08-2003, 03:50 PM
VERY nice cloth textures. nice work!

Maximus Groff
01-08-2003, 08:19 PM
How you get that poly distribution toi acchieve hair like this ?

Im trying a kid also... im 2 days to start hair and im still deciding if i go0 for paint effects, fur or poly uv...

;) Superb...

Norman
01-08-2003, 08:37 PM
:bounce: :buttrock: :bounce:

I gotta say.. I ABSOLUTELY love everything about this..

The eye textures are nice.. they aren't just one color, which in kids happens, because they are still growing.

The Hair is nice.. I like it, WISH I could do hair like that

The Chubby face.. Nice.. Shows the it is a Child..

The lighting SUPERB! I love it all..
*waits for the poster as a Desktop BG*

Good work.. Would love to see a Wireframe of the boy if you would feel so inclined to pm it tome.. I would feel honored.. :)
(or post it here)

HieSpike
01-08-2003, 10:51 PM
I made the hair in a similar manner as this tutorial. I chose to do it this way because I wanted a more story book like feel. Didn't want it to look too real.

here' the tutorial.
http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/hair/index.html

also,
here are some wireframes...for some reason it's realy hard to compress wireframes....sorry.

peace,
Kane

HieSpike
01-08-2003, 10:53 PM
more wires

HieSpike
01-08-2003, 10:55 PM
and the hair...

peace and thanks for the comments.

Kane

erevan3d
01-08-2003, 10:57 PM
is the character based on an armenian? lol, because of the name....and he kinda looks..you know..

HieSpike
01-08-2003, 11:09 PM
LOL....
I can't believe that someone out there knows what an Armenian is!!
But yes, Ara is a 5-6 year old Armenian boy who's living in an orphanage circa 1917. It's indirectly based on the genocide...however, the animation won't address that exactly.

I might be giving to much away....but the story is sturctured around a boy who dreams of flying so that he can fly to heaven and see his family (since they're all dead)....that's all I can say for now.

anyway...peace,
Kane

HieSpike
01-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Hi all....
Here's a new render of the orphanage.
More to come.....(I hope you guys want to see more)

peace,
Kane

HieSpike
01-09-2003, 01:51 AM
forgot the pic....

sarfarazsoomro
01-09-2003, 02:58 AM
hey nice work....i've something to say in that second pic:

one shadow in the lower half is at a diff angle and those of the supports comming outa the wall are prijected upwards....i wonder wat time isit,...any how it gives a sense of serene envio' with that purple shade....

again nice work...and it'll be good..if u post more :)

erevan3d
01-09-2003, 03:20 AM
aper hayes?

HieSpike
01-09-2003, 06:16 AM
Ayo Erevan3D....

Lepanansti hye.

erevan3d
01-09-2003, 03:06 PM
halala aper, shat lava statsvel so far, (good idea too) :thumbsup:

Memodin
01-09-2003, 06:29 PM
i am curious about the whole story of the child. "Genocide" you said. I think its a controversial topic. Right?

HieSpike
01-09-2003, 07:23 PM
memodin...

Yes...genocide is a controversial topic...and that's why I think it interesting to bring to life.

However, the story isn't about genocide exactly....it's more about the post genocide existence of this little boy.

Even if genocide is controversial....and hard to relate to (for this audience at least)....a story about a little boy who's lost his family should make the connection.

what do you think?

and erevan3d....shenorhagalem,

peace,
Kane

HieSpike
01-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Here's an update on the orphanage and background.

peace,
Kane
:buttrock:

ThirdEye
01-10-2003, 12:44 AM
nice nice mood ;)

Maximus Groff
01-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Thank you for the hair tutorial man... you save my day...

Keep these work coming!!!! ;)

Memodin
01-10-2003, 05:51 AM
I think both of the people of Turkey and Armania are sore for the "genocide" word. Turkish people show evidences, and armanian show too... Also there was the war of "liberation" of Turkey in that years. You know everywhere was under military occupation (French, italian, greek, russian...) and confused. From the Turkish historians; in the old days 2 nations (armenian and turks) who living like brothers become enemies by provocations of external forces.

Of course here is not the place to discuss this long story but the animation's statement caused this writing.

I agree...

All we need is peace as humanity.

I love the hair by the way :) :thumbsup:

cuse
01-10-2003, 09:05 AM
wow this is some really nice work... and i think its a good topis as well, the whole audience could relate in different ways to what the kids feeling... anyway good stuff, didnt catch what you modelled this in tho??? i presume lw seeing as the tutorial you followed was on newteks site?

cuse
:airguitar

XerC
01-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Wo! The front side of the building looks soo good! So much atmosphere! Reminds me of something I like very much, but can't define :love:
Keep going with this! I'm looking forward to see it finished! :thumbsup:

Greetings

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.