PDA

View Full Version : Steph's Stuff (nudity)

offbeatworlds
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey everyone!

Welcome to my sketch dump and WIP thread. Here I will be posting sketches that I am rather happy with, experiments that I think turned out well, as well as previews to current larger painting projects. I plan on updating rather frequently, so keep an eye out. ;)

If you have an comments, critiques, or anything like that, please feel free to post it. I am constantly looking for help and advice, and anything will do.

I'm really critical of myself as well, and sometimes I'll post something and point out problems that I see. Who knows, maybe this will help you sometime.

(I had a previous thread on here before, titled "Sylanya's Sketch Place". A few sketches from there will be posted here as well.)

Here a the first batch of sketches:
http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/face_exercise19.jpg

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/eye3.jpg

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/my_pet.jpg

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/reddragon2.jpg

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/ladyofthelake2.jpg

And a new one.
http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/face_exercis20.jpg

offbeatworlds
05-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Also, on a side note, I just submitted a recently completed piece to my CGPortfolio and DeviantART account.

Here are a few close-ups (as a preview)
http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/tilldeath-detail1.jpg
http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/tilldeath-detail2.jpg
http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/tilldeath-detail3.jpg

oogieboogietoogie
05-14-2006, 10:17 PM
On the first picture and the picture of the lady with the mask, their heads seem a bit too big in comparison to the width of their shoulders.

Maladie
05-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey Stephanie, good improvement! I like how that last piece has turned out. For crits I think the inner corner of her right eye (left to us) is a little to deeply set. It makes the eye position a bit strange. Otherwise really nice work!

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Ninetales-it could possibly look that way because their shoulders are at an angle, or it could be that they are a bit big. I have had this problem in the past. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Maladie-I see what you mean about th eye, it does look a little dark under that eyebrow. Thanks for the comment!

Iridyse
05-15-2006, 04:47 AM
The last image turned out so well. I really like the bird sitting there, it looks so ominous.
The dragon-mask is nice too, are you planning on a series? I'm getting rather inspired :D

Time to update the signature? ;)

pap87
05-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Last one turned out real nice. The one with the asian girl would have been excellent if the eyes didn't seem a little cross-eyed. The eye picture has got to be your best so far, at least in my opinion, cos I like realistic stuff. :thumbsup:
You certainly don't need much encouragement, you've pumped out more work in here and your previous sketch thread than I've done in a lifetime.

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 12:56 PM
hiiri-Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean about a series, could you elaborate on that? And, oops! I didn't realize I forgot to change my signature. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

pap87-Thanks. And not only are her eyes slightly cross-eyed, but they are way too big for her face (her eyeballs would not fit in the socket if they were really that big) It could just be a shading issue though. Thanks for the comment!

Iridyse
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
I meant like the dragon, a gryphon and such. It would be neat.

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh. Well no, I wasn't planning on doing a series. However, I do have an idea for a swan picture similar to that dragon one. But the dragon mask painting was done for the daily sketch topic "Red Dragon". :)

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I can honestly say I'm a newbie at painting birds...actually, animals in general. The first time I painted a bird was the cardinal in the "Till Death Do Us Part" painting (see my portfolio). But I figure I need to practice birds, so here is an American Goldfinch (obviously, a reference was used).

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/americangoldfinch.jpg

I'm not sure as to whether I like it ot not. There are plenty of things wrong with it...like the feathers for one thing.

enthombed
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey lady, nice job here. continue posting. more... more... moreeeee!!:)

Cya

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Hehe, thanks, enthombed. :)

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok, I actually did this one last week, but I thought I'd post it anyways. I was going more for mood than anything else. I know the girl is messed up and the trees could use a heck of a lot more detail. For the daily sketch topic "Lady of the Lake". This was the first version I did for that topic actually, the second is in my first post here, the mermaid in the lake with the lillypads.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/ladyofthelake.jpg

I wanted a sort of gloomy atmosphere in the landscape and the woman to appear almost like a ghost or spirit.

Salubri3i
05-16-2006, 01:06 AM
I just saw this thread today. Your "till death do us part" blew me away. :eek:

I can't say anything more. I'm having trouble breathing. lolz.

offbeatworlds
05-16-2006, 01:59 AM
LOL, I hope I won't have to call the paramedics for you! :love: Thanks for the comment!

offbeatworlds
05-16-2006, 02:17 AM
By the way guys, I thought I'd just drop a note saying that I *finally* have a couple prints available. They are both posted in my CGPortfolio, "Till Death Do Us Part" and "Sea Vanity". They are available for cheap prices at DeviantART. So if anyone is interested, you can purchase one. :)

Defcombeta
05-16-2006, 04:36 AM
nice stuff from a student ( wish we had access to this kind of place back then) its nice to see you willing to experiment and work away at different thing, one and only thing i cna say to you is never be worried about making mistakes or having a perfect finish, take your time and go with the current flow of the piece , because the next one will always be different ( hope that makes sense).

one thing i would sugject is to rough up some of the smoothness abit perhaps, its looks rather pixel shadered at the moment

secretasianman
05-16-2006, 04:56 AM
ya got some good stuff.

my prob in the matter though is that i find that you have alot of dead space.

in somethings it isn't so bad b/c it complies with the rule of thids, but in other cases it just seems like to much dead space.

sometimes it draws away from what you are trying to center your picture around.

or maybe it is just me. :shrug:

Salubri3i
05-16-2006, 06:59 AM
whew! i'm over the shock of seeing that piece (that's a compliment. :D).

I have to agree with the secret asian. At any rate it's a tiny bump in the road steph. One you're sure to overcome real quick. :thumbsup:

I wonder if you've seen this one (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275&page=). I think it's super helpful.

ahem to quote, of all people, senator palpatine: "I see you becoming greatest of all the Jedi."

:buttrock:

offbeatworlds
05-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Defcombeta-Thanks, I understand what your saying about not being afraid of mistakes. However, I'm not quite sure I get what you mean about my work looking a little pixel shadered. Would you care to elaborate on that?

secretasianman-By dead space do you mean empty/negative space? If you do, then I can honestly say....I suck a composition right now. I'm still learning. I have this huge list (a real one, written on paper :D ) of things I am going to work on this summer, and it ranges from hands, to skintones, to birds, and composition is already on that list.

Salubri3i-Hehe, thanks for the compliment. And thank you for the link to that tutorial too, I hadn't seen that. Like I said to secretasianman, I plan on practicing composition this summer, along with a whole bunch of other things, and that tutorial should be a bit help.

And gee, I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to turn to the dark side...*shudder* :p

Defcombeta
05-16-2006, 01:31 PM
ah pixel shaders for me = smooth and plastic like in places the same effect as found in computer rendering in games using current 2.0 and 3.0 sm, everything has the same surface quality at times. its some thing that appears mostly in computer art. i tend to call it that when i see it appear in digital art. one thing i noted also was in the warm pieces that you dont put in touchs of cool colours that balance things out and help build the shadows that way.

still good show and keep on, keeping on:)

j mac

pap87
05-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I have this huge list (a real one, written on paper :D ) of things I am going to work on this summer, and it ranges from hands, to skintones, to birds, and composition is already on that list.

I'd like to see you take on a male. Don't think I've seen a male character from you before. Will be interesting to see what you can come up with all the same.

offbeatworlds
05-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Defcombeta-Oh, ok I see now. Basically, you want to see brush strokes. Right? Hmm...you know one else one told me that they wanted me to smoothen up my paintings. Guess I should find a middle ground.

pap87-I've only done a few guys in my life. But probably if I do a guy, he'll be androgenous like Linda does them, mostly because I'm not real good at male faces :blush:

adrianospm
05-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Wow youre improving a lot the girl with the knife is awsome nice clean style and detail !!!

offbeatworlds
05-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Thank you, adrianospm. :)

Salubri3i
05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
I've only done a few guys in my life. But probably if I do a guy, he'll be androgenous like Linda does them, mostly because I'm not real good at male faces :blush:

it shouldn't be hard for you sy. just make sure not to put in the same care you do when you're working with female faces. males tend to have stronger and sharper curves whereas females have it more subdued.

pap87
05-17-2006, 10:48 AM
That's right. Don't be delicate! The male face is anything but delicate, at least that's how I see it, don't know about you.
Anyway we are here to help you! :)

offbeatworlds
05-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Well, alright. Here, this guy is a male. I did him a few months ago for the daily sketch forum topic "heat" (which proves how I'm not good at fire...:hmm: )

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/644-heat.jpg

See, I do do guys...occasionally. (He's androgenous, btw)

offbeatworlds
05-17-2006, 05:34 PM
For the daily sketch topic "envy". I know I forgot her eyebrows...:blush:

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/envy.jpg

Iridyse
05-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I like the fact that she has no eyebrows, makes her look very "other worldly".

Het nose looks a little off, the septum is wider than it should be I think. But that angle is generally difficult to draw anyway. We should probably be able to see the lower side of her jaw too, a little.

Great work for the time limit though :D Use a brush with the size and opacity set to pressure, painting hair is easier with that :) You can get point ends by just reducing the pressure on the stroke there (talking about the stray hair in the image).

offbeatworlds
05-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks hiiri. I had a lot of trouble with her nose because, like it said, it's a difficult angle. And, well, I was painting with the brush setting like that. I'm just not talented enough yet to achieve the proper result. I am trying. Hair is another thing that is on my list of things to practice this summer.

pap87
05-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Your getting better! :applause:
The only issue I can pick out aside from whatever else was pointed out is at the bottom of the nose the nostrils are "sticking out" forward, if you get what I mean. The top of the lip should just flow straight into the nostril. Then again it might be easier to understand if you just look in the mirror.

offbeatworlds
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately, I painted this in school, and I didn't have a mirror with me, though I sincerely wish I did. I actually purchased a small mirror specifically for this purpose (though it may be a bit too small). I'll use it this summer, I promise!

frostblade
05-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Having a full length mirror is complete luxury...if you don't have a live model etc.
You could sit in front of it observing relfected light on your skin caused by different colour clothing, lighting and so on. Could end set up sets to help develop your paintings and observe how to get the best composition and so on.

offbeatworlds
05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I actually plan on getting a mirror when my parents and I move. My dad retired and we can't afford to live a our big house anymore. But yeah, I do plan on getting one. I'm hoping I can just find one at a garage sale or something. Right now I just have a mirror tacked onto my bedroom wall, it's too small for my height and in a cramped corner. When we move I hope to have a bigger bedroom with room for a bigger mirror. (We haven't even found a place yet though :hmm: )

On another note, if anyone's interested in seeing the list I have for what to practice this summer, I'd be willing to post it. :)

frostblade
05-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Those sliding mirror doors are good on the wardrobe.

Post the list :bounce:

offbeatworlds
05-18-2006, 02:06 PM
skintones
basic sketching
faces
hair
fabric
anatomy
lighting and light sources
use of references (painting what I see)
shading
composition
backgrounds/landscapes
hands and feet (I know they are a part of anatomy, but my hand painting sucks)
animals (especially birds and butterflies)
adding and refining details
textures
Painter 9.5

These are in no particular order except that the ones I want to concentrate on the most are near the top.

offbeatworlds
05-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I drew a pencil sketch of Emily from Corpse Bride, making her as realistic as I could while trying to maintain her features (big eyes, small nose, full lips, pointy chin). I liked how it came out so I whipped it into Photoshop and painted over it. I kinda like how it turned out. I didn't do her blue skin, but I kept the blue hair, hehe.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/corpsebride.jpg

Iridyse
05-18-2006, 06:09 PM
She's so pretty! I love her nose.
Her right eyebrow seems a little too far apart from the centre though.

offbeatworlds
05-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Thank you hiiri. I see what you mean about the eyebrow. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

offbeatworlds
05-19-2006, 01:21 AM
I hate it when you can't capture the image you have in you head. This just does not look as neat as it did during the visualization. I was hoping for something more innocent and shy looking. Instead I get this...

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/betrayal.jpg

I'll probably revisit this when I'm better at sketching.

Irate-Velociraptor
05-19-2006, 03:29 AM
With the way her eyes look it makes her look tired.

pap87
05-19-2006, 04:08 AM
Hehe, good luck with that list!
You said you painted the one without the eyebrows at school. How many times do people stop you and ask "How do you do that?" or my personal favourite "How do you draw so good?"
Anyhow, I reckon you nailed those last two faces, only the shoulder area seems a little small in the last one. Her right wrist is pretty thick, hell, it's thicker than mine! But the face does look kind of innocent/shy, and the expression makes her look like she is far away.
Keep up the good work!

Salubri3i
05-19-2006, 04:28 AM
she does look shy... but leaning towards hesitant mostly... or even worried. i think it might be the eyebrows.

offbeatworlds
05-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys. I realize there's a big problem with the arms/wrist area, that I made them WAY too big. There's also a problem with skintones (I really hope I can paint skin like Linda does someday). I forgot to mention that that sketch was done for the daily sketch topic "betrayal" and the idea was that she accidently betrayed something secret that she wants to keep hidden. So shy or worried is the expression I was going for.

:)

Salubri3i
05-19-2006, 05:48 AM
So shy or worried is the expression I was going for.

:)

in that case i'd say you hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup:

offbeatworlds
05-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Thank you, Salubri3i.

I'm really starting to get frustrated with the quality of my sketches. I know I'm no Linda Bergkvist, but gawl-dangit, I wanna be *whines* I just love Linda's sketches. I hope I can someday sketch like her. :arteest:

[end childish ravings]

offbeatworlds
05-20-2006, 02:58 AM
I did this tonight to try and experiment with skintones. I don't know how correct they are, so I thought I'd post and see what you guys think.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/skintone_experiment.jpg

offbeatworlds
05-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Guys, I could really use some help here. I know that last image is boring, but I really would like know if you guys think those skintones look good and/or are realistic.

krass
05-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I think that the top left and the bottom right ones look best.. : )

Lybra
05-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi steph! :)

I like the last one pretty much, at least it's the most realistic and natural of all. On the other hand, skintones do depend on the overall mood you want to create, i.e the second skin tone would fit into some darker sci-fi scene.

here is some sort of tutorial of the lovely Linda Bergkvist (it's the second tutorial): http://www.furiae.com/tutorials.php

cool work so far, hope to see some new work soon :)

offbeatworlds
05-20-2006, 10:46 PM
here is some sort of tutorial of the lovely Linda Bergkvist (it's the second tutorial): http://www.furiae.com/tutorials.php

Heh, no need to point out Linda's tutorials. I have read them all completely and thoroughly...many times over.

Thanks for the input guys!

Glenfx
05-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Im not really an eminense nor a good artist, but i dont think those colors work for skin.

Also the blue and purple tone shoudnt be used as "skin" tone, thats used mostly for light sources rather than skin ;)

You need a bit more pinkish skin tone, maybe something like this:
Note, I also made a darker skin tone. ^^

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3662/skincolors8qz.jpg

offbeatworlds
05-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Glenfx-Thank you for the help. The purple or blue colors were being use for light. I know it's kinda hard to tell, because there is not actual shape, but any lighter hue was used as a highlighting color. :)

Defcombeta
05-21-2006, 02:22 AM
nice stuff ther , and good studies, dont be scared to put some purples in the really warm shadows as well it can help pop receded or pop a element if you use it right, also skin is not just nice pinks etc , try using blues even in the warm ,very light touchs of it mind etc, veins pop through etc, it can be a bit akward think about all the inside stuff just under the skin at time, but skin is layers upon layers with fat etc , is the magazine imagine Fx available where you like some good stuff in it worth the tenner each issue

j mac

pap87
05-21-2006, 04:36 AM
Actually I thought they were all fine (some were better than others but they were already mentioned).
See, it's because you put different colours as backgrounds and using those background colours to give the skin different hues that they all looked fine to me. Skin can be very reflective and can take on the colour of it's surrounding environment (I'm sure you know about colour bleeding), although the blue one was a bit overdone, and the white one could still have some more redness in it.
(BTW I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say)
Artistically speaking, for creating moods and stuff like that then basically anything goes and I'd say there was nothing wrong with what you did, in fact you could probably even push the colours further.
This I can say for sure, it has a skin quality to it. Looking forward to seeing you try some different colours in your coming pieces.

offbeatworlds
05-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Defcombeta-I know, I need more variety in the colors. It's so stupid, because the computer allows you to experiment like crazy, and do anything you want, but I'm still timid at it. I'm trying though.

I don't know about ImagineFX. I suppose they might deliver here, but it also depends on how much it costs. I ain't exactly rich. :hmm:

pap87-Yeah, the blue on bothers me. I'm trying to get a nice "Linda" skintone quality you know? Her skintones aren't really realistic, but they always seem to look right. The blue one was inspired by a sketch she did for the DSF, as was the beige one. Gah, I need to practice more. Thanks for the help!

frostblade
05-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Try to separate the colours onto layers so you can tweek each colour individuallywith erase and etc...incase the highlights are too strong it's not all lost.

[] buttons helps making work flow faster. I notice that in
http://www.furiae.com/images/soundofhappiness.jpg

she uses a lot of tiny and large brushes to get the desired effects.

offbeatworlds
05-21-2006, 03:37 PM
*sigh* I love that sketch...

I always worked this way: I make a smallish pallette on another layer, and color on the main one. If I mess up on the colors I just paint over it. I think using a different layer for each color is too confusing and too much work (both for you and the computer). Thanks for the suggestion though.

offbeatworlds
05-22-2006, 03:50 AM
Taking a small break from people. Painted for the Daily Sketch Topic "ATTENTION TO DETAILS: Flowers". I thought I'd do it because I have flowers on my long list of things to practice this summer and I figured this would be a good place to start.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/flower.jpg

offbeatworlds
05-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Painted a new one. Still not quite happy with the skintones but I'm trying...

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/crystaleyes.jpg

Iridyse
05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
:eek:

Those are wonderful! I lovely how beautifully you've captured the transcluency of the petals. The rose is just beautiful.
The lavender highlight on the face is perfect!

Very very well done Sylanya! :thumbsup:

Defcombeta
05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
i like that last one some skin texture here and there in the highlights and a odd skin imperfection and its good to go from my point of view , love the saturated colours as well, for me working with such a scheme is near impossible a lot of the time unless its comic/ animation work.

good job

j mac

offbeatworlds
05-22-2006, 06:29 PM
hiiri-Thank you very much! It means a lot to me that you like these. Your work is excellent.

Defcombeta-If I had been aiming for a completely finished and poished face, I would have textured her skin. As this was mostly an exercise in skintones, I didn't do that. Maybe on the next one??

Thanks for the comments!

frostblade
05-23-2006, 03:37 AM
I thought I was in a different thread when I saw the new pictures :)
Great improvements.

I like the rose, it looks very nice and real. Perfect colours for a pretty rose :)
The colours for the face image are great just like hiiri said :)

offbeatworlds
05-23-2006, 03:48 AM
I found this photograph by Howard Schatz (awesome photographer) and I felt the need to paint the pose the girl was in.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/moondance.jpg

Oh, and thanks frostblade!

pap87
05-23-2006, 04:16 AM
Haha, for a second I thought that was an adult version of E.T.
As for that rose, it's very well done, I'd have just liked to see that level of crisp detail in the leaves. To me it just looks a little unfinished, but then that's how you've done almost all of your pictures so I guess that's your preference.
Now, for the head. Her right eye looks baggy because of the dark shading under it, but I'm guessing it's unfinished. As for the rest of the skin shading, like everyone else said, it's very well done. You've got that strong back light down very well! In fact, all the lighting is impressive.
You're improving with every post.

offbeatworlds
05-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Thank you so much pap87. The rose was done for the Daily Sketch topic "ATTENTION TO DETAIL: Flower" so I wanted to concentrate on the flower itself rather than the rest of it. Besides, the ref I used hardly showed the leaves, so I basically had to do them myself.

The eye, yeah, I did make it a bit darker than the ref showed, accidently. But she did have the baggies under her eyes. I'm glad you like the skintones, cause I didn't ref the skintones from the picture. Thank you. :)

Iridyse
05-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Very nice image!I really like the subtle shading on the body. *looks up the photographer*

I think her hand and feet are getting a little lost in the background, Maybe a little backlight reflected on them?

edit: about your earlier post on skin tones, I was hunting for something which I finally managed to find (and study again myself).

Here (http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm) it is!

offbeatworlds
05-23-2006, 12:32 PM
hiiri-Thank you for the link. I've read through this tutorial before, it is a really great one, isn't it? I've got it saved in my favorites in my tutorial folder.

I see what you mean about the hands. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

EDIT: Fixed the hand and the feet so they show up. Hope it's better!

Shadowbrooke
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi,
Your sketches looks really good, esp your latest! The rose also looks very pretty. I think I saw this link somewhere too...Keep up the good work and I'll be back to bug you :)

offbeatworlds
05-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Thank you Kelandra. I hope to be able to keep making more pictures to post. I would have one today, except that I just couldn't get any inspiration. Ah well...:)

offbeatworlds
05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I did a paintover of the last face I did, trying to fix up the skintones to make the environment a bit better. Also added a little texture, some freckles and fixed the area under her eye.

Compare to the first version (it's a paintover, that's why the border looks messy)
http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/crystaleyes2.jpg

offbeatworlds
05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
New portrait. :)

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/katebeckinsale.jpg

eishiya
05-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Very nice, but the farther lower eyelid is too bright, I think. Also, her hand looks weird, as if it's someone else's. The pose is entirely plausible, but because we can't see the rest of her arm, it looks odd. Perhaps hinting at the position of her arm with more of her hand and a bit of her wrist would help.

Iridyse
05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Good job on the skin! Her left eye is a little too inside though, it must move a little more towards the ear.

offbeatworlds
05-25-2006, 11:32 PM
eishiya-Thank you. I see what you mean about the eyelid being too bright. The photo showed it bright, but I guess I made it TOO bright, hehe. :)

hiiri-Thank you, I'm glad you like the face. I agree, the eye is too close to the nose, but I really don't feel like fixing, haha. Thanks for pointing it out though...usually it's too far from the nose!

Defcombeta
05-26-2006, 04:50 AM
nice stuff, go away for a while and look what happens, i love the last one , i notice your trying very hard to define the hands, ehy not let the shadows fall on them and let the human mind fill in the blanks you dont have to define it so much . some rea lnie progression , its nice to see some one who wants to learn so much

good show all round

j mac

Salubri3i
05-26-2006, 08:17 AM
i can't blink my eyes without you improving in leaps and bounds. lolz. :thumbsup:

i think you've made a nice nose there and the cheeks are well rendered. i also like the way you did the lips and skin. :love:

i agree with defcombeta. don't go into too much detail or you will end up having to detail everything just to bring them into consistency with the rest of the picture. in addition (and i'm no expert so take it with a grain of salt:D), the iris seems too hard edged. maybe you can try and make them a little more softer and make them more a part of the eyeball. also something i've learned quite recently is if you add strong tiny highlights in the right places on the eye (usually lower lids and the tear glands?) it makes a good impression (to me anyway :D) that the eye is wet. thus making it appear more natural.

i don't know if you made the lashes appear like that intentionally but it might need a few more strands in there. also the highlights on the top of the upper lips appear too strong ... it sort of makes her appear like she's "Got Milk" up there.

At any rate you're such an inspiration you know. Talented and hard working. Don't ever change. :buttrock:

offbeatworlds
05-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Wow, such compliments! :love:

Defcombeta-I see what you're saying about the hands, I'm just not sure how to go about putting that into practice. Could you go into further explanation?

Salubri3i-Thanks for the little tips on the eyes. I agree with what your saying, about the highlights, the edge of the iris and the upper eyelid being too bright. I'll try to remember to do them right the next time. :)

offbeatworlds
05-26-2006, 05:14 PM
A new sketch for the daily sketch forum. Took about 40 minutes.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/rosesandguns.jpg

By the way, in case you guys didn't notice, I'm posting the titles of the pics in the post title. :)

Lybra
05-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks to me if the arms are too short and the body, in relation to head and arms, too small.

I like the colors! :)

offbeatworlds
05-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, the arms could appear too short because of the perspective I failed in pulling off and the horrendous shading. It's really hard to get everything right when the sketch is only supposed to take 20 minutes (I went over). Proportions are not my specialty...hehe.

Thanks!

Salubri3i
05-30-2006, 01:07 AM
hey sylanya. i think the highlight on the nose might be too strong. it makes it look smooth/wet/shiny (like the lips). maybe try to tone that down a bit.

keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

offbeatworlds
05-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean about the highlight...:hmm:

offbeatworlds
05-30-2006, 02:28 AM
I did this for the daily sketch topic "green".

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/green.jpg

pap87
05-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Nice work. The head looks a bit big in the gun picture, and in your last one it looks a bit squashed, just needs a bit of widening. The hair looks cool though. Clearly you have a much better grasp of skin tones now. Keep it up!

offbeatworlds
05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Thank you pap87. I'm struggling to get the head to be the right shape right now, I on't know why I have such a problem with it. I hope I get over this obstacle soon.

offbeatworlds
05-30-2006, 05:11 PM
New portait painting...I used a ref for this one.http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/lavender.jpg

TheFirstAngel
05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I did this for the daily sketch topic "green".

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/green.jpg

awesome base tones, would love to see you polish this work as a painting :) also love the composition. :D

offbeatworlds
05-30-2006, 05:26 PM
:eek: Oh my, thank you TheFirstAngel, that means a lot coming from you. :love: Personally I don't like it so much. I doubt I'd ever flesh it out into a real painting. Thank you though, means a lot.

offbeatworlds
05-31-2006, 05:28 PM
New portrait. I think this was more of a hair study than a facial study. It was really fun painting the bright red hair!! (ref was used, and yes, the girl's hair is actually that color!).

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/ladypyro.jpg

TheFirstAngel
05-31-2006, 06:50 PM
sweet face, great colors, love the fire in it :) the hair has a nice movement in the cool parting of the strains but falls a bit solid, a slight bit of wind would be nice, something to bring in a bit of flame feel to the hot red :)

offbeatworlds
05-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks. I'm still practicing just painting still hair, hopefully I can work on flowing moving hair later. I'm glad you like this though, means tons! :love:

offbeatworlds
06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
New painting. It's a digital redo of an older drawing. I think the original was done three years ago. Anyways, I still like the character, so I did her again.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/genilinew.jpg
Eh...it's not great. It's really hard to make fabric look see-through!

pap87
06-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Nice pic. For making transparent looking fabric, perhaps try making the parts directly facing the viewer the most transparent and the overapping parts and parts facing away from the viewer almost opaque, if you get what I mean.
Great work, keep it up.

offbeatworlds
06-03-2006, 01:56 PM
That's what I was trying to do...I was mostly just goofing around though, I wasn't too serious with this painting. :)

enthombed
06-03-2006, 03:41 PM
nice pic, i really like redhair, lol, girl with this hair make me hot, lol.

Cya

offbeatworlds
06-04-2006, 03:12 AM
enthombed-Well, I guess I should take that as a compliment right? :shrug:

Here's the first pic I did for the avatar war of in the DSF. Its themed "from hell" and I was the first one killed. Hehe. Of course I had to seek revenge, LOL!

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/AWfromhell1.jpg

Defcombeta
06-04-2006, 03:14 AM
i like the hair and the colour scheme, something about the neck/ shoulder region looks a bit to smoothed out and lacks definition. also the line of the fabric as it goes from the front to the back does not match up it, looks jagged if you try to match them up in your mind, if you going to show the fabric drop being a bit blantant about it does not hurt at times. some highlight would not not be a miss on the metal of the belt etc

still a nice composition and i get the feeling of a theatre stage perhaps

(edit to be clear i was talking about the second last one ( sorry i didnt see the last one :( until after i submit )

in the last one i would place some light coming from that fire on the red wall etc

j mac

pap87
06-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Maybe the girl in the last pic looks too human to be "from hell." It's just an attractive girl with dark hair and eyes, holding a fiery doll(?), sorry can't tell yet. Try something completely crazy, something totally out of this world, and I guarantee then it will have something hellish:twisted: about it. Maybe now would be a good time to experiment with those skin tones you did earlier on in page 4.

Looking forward to an update!

offbeatworlds
06-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Maybe the girl in the last pic looks too human to be "from hell." It's just an attractive girl with dark hair and eyes, holding a fiery doll(?), sorry can't tell yet. Try something completely crazy, something totally out of this world, and I guarantee then it will have something hellish:twisted: about it. Maybe now would be a good time to experiment with those skin tones you did earlier on in page 4.

Looking forward to an update!

Well, it's an avatar war, which means I have to use my avatar in some way to kill off other peoples' avatars. I just made her human looking but with some devilish features. Also, that is a heart she is holding. I got eaten, so I told whomever it was to be careful when they do that because I cause indigestion and heart burn.

Stefander
06-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Nice, really nice... It could use a somewhat darker setting, though, with a lot more contrast, with the fire in her eyes and lighting up her face and upper torso part... It would make the scene a little less cuddly, the warm red gives the impression she's actually cooking up the heart to serve it to a group of helpless kids desperately in need of a mother... Enfin, I hope you get what I mean ;)

Salubri3i
06-05-2006, 01:07 AM
good ones as always sylanya. :thumbsup:

i agree with what's been said about the last two pics. on the avatar war piece i think the flames should be bouncing colors off to portions of her body closest to it.

that said my favorite one is the portrait with the red hair. :love:

[...I cause indigestion and heart burn.]

lolz. that's kinda the same feeling you get when you fall in and out of love. :D

offbeatworlds
06-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Ok this one had to be done in only 15 minutes for the daily sketch forum...topic "red".

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/red.jpg

And another one for the avatar war...the little green thing is JTD. Hehe! :twisted:

I was trying out a different technique too, I'm not sure if I like it or not...

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/AWfromhell2.jpg

Salubri3i, Stefander, thanks for the comments and suggestions!

pap87
06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
it's an avatar war, which means I have to use my avatar in some way to kill off other peoples' avatars

Woops, OK I didn't know that.
All the same, the very last one you posted is one of the best I've seen from you. Did you use a reference, 'cos it's pretty damn well done. The style is similar to frostblade's with the cross-hatching (I'm not saying that's bad, don't get me wrong). But what really sells this one is the eyes. AND she's attractive!:drool:
Very impressive stuff!

offbeatworlds
06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
pap87-LOL, thank you very much. I did use a ref, but only sparingly. I mostly used it just for the basic shapes. The rest was my artistic license taking a hold of me. Hehe, thank you.

I did this one was done for today's topic in the DSF, "Alone in the Dark".

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/aloneinthedark.jpg

And another new face. I'm not so pleased with this one. It used a ref, but then I tried to change where the light was coming from, and I messed it all up. So here, have at this one, I already know it's not good.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/face_exercise21.jpg

offbeatworlds
06-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Could someone please tell me what they think of the landscape painting??

TheFirstAngel
06-06-2006, 02:51 PM
looks basically great, wanted to tell you yesterday already. to add a slight bit more dephg, the add of a little bit fog could help to seperate more layers. keep it up :)

Shadowbrooke
06-06-2006, 03:38 PM
The landscape one looks good :) Honestly I like all of your pretty sketches. Keep it up.

pap87
06-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I was surprised when I saw the forest picture. The detail is much more crisp than you usually do. The depth is very nice. I guess to get a better sense of depth, you could go and add some more trees further back in the left half of the picture, just very faint trees, so it looks like there is something there.
Regarding the portrait, the proportions are fine but the lighting makes it look like her mouth is full and her lips are being pushed forward. The reason for this is the highlight you put above her mouth and that extends all the way to the cheek. What you should do instead is put some dark shading to accentuate the expression line running from above the nostrils towards the mouth corners. Obviously it's not going to be very dark, just enough to suggest the form of the mouth area. Hope I made sense.

It's great to see the work you keep coming up with. It's just the encouragement I need to keep me going with my work.

Rist
06-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Where are the male figures :sad:

Otherwise some good stuFF.

offbeatworlds
06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
So, I have this book called "Birds of Minnesota" and it has these wonderful pictures of normal looking birds. Today I decided to practice my bird painting by drawing a couple of them. Three of them are real birds, and one of them is based of a real bird but it isn't. Can you guess which is which?

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/birdpractice1.jpg

I probably should have saved this bigger version so you could see more detail, but oh well! :p

offbeatworlds
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
TheFirstAngel-Thanks. I know what you mean about the depth.

Kelandra-Thanks, that means a lot! :love:

pap87-I don't even want to look at that portrait anymore, lol. I just don't like it. Thanks for the comments! :)

Fl3wk-Lol, I don't do many guys. Hehe, thanks.

enthombed
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey Sil, great work in the birds and the enviroment... looks great, i need draw this more too...

Post more lady.

Cheers

Icaro

offbeatworlds
06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks enthombed!

Salubri3i
06-07-2006, 02:36 AM
my favorite birds are the ones in the upper right and the lower left. the lower left most of all because it looks so realistic, well... except for the saturated yellows. :thumbsup:

the landscape looks great steph. i think you may need to put more form on the walker though. the cloak just seems to fall so straight. great job on placing forms in the shadow. :)

offbeatworlds
06-07-2006, 04:19 AM
my favorite birds are the ones in the upper right and the lower left. the lower left most of all because it looks so realistic, well... except for the saturated yellows. :thumbsup:

Well, funny you should mention the saturated yellows on that bird, because the bird actually looks like that. I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it really has those highly saturated yellow spots. I thought it was neat.

Salubri3i
06-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Oh in that case forget what I said about the saturation. :D

sorry about that. :shrug:

offbeatworlds
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Lol, it's ok. It does look a little weird if it doesn't have saturation around it too. And actually, looking at the picture now, the yellow on the shoulder isn't as prominent as I did it. It's a little more subtle. Oh well.

Ok, because no one is guessing which birds are real and which isn't, I'll tell what species they are.

From upper left to lower right:
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Tree Swallow
American Redstart (female)
Baltimore Oriole with green instead of orange plumage

offbeatworlds
06-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Another new landscape pic!

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/bg2.jpg

Salubri3i
06-08-2006, 12:36 AM
would you like to take a stab at submitting that to hallmark? i think they will accept it. :thumbsup:

slickgreekgeo
06-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Nicely done landscape, a little color variation would probably improve it. Looking forward to more...

offbeatworlds
06-08-2006, 03:11 AM
Salubri, sleekgreekgeo- Thanks so much!

Ok, guys, I'm not going to be able to submit any new sketches or paintings for the next few days because I am dead-weighted down with my remaining schoolwork. When I'm done though I'll be able to do painting after painting! Whoo!

offbeatworlds
06-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Ok, I actually did this for a 3D animation assignment, but I liked how it turned out. So, since I don't have anything else to post, here is a composite I did for extra credit. I did the mermaid, but then painted over her face and added her hair (I'm not experienced enough yet to do that with the model). The bg is a photo.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/mermaidcomposite.jpg

pap87
06-10-2006, 06:52 AM
So the actual body is 3D? I couldn't tell. I was going to say she looks stiff but that's a 3D problem not a 2D one.
I guess the main thing wrong here is that she stand out too much from the background, doesn't look like she is in it. The background has very muted contrast in both hue and colour value. Perhaps you should do the same to the mermaid. Mainly it's the green that is too green, and the hair is too dark.

Since you seem to have a grasp on it already are you thinking of going any further with 3D in the future or does it not appeal to you like 2D?

offbeatworlds
06-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Since you seem to have a grasp on it already are you thinking of going any further with 3D in the future or does it not appeal to you like 2D?

Haha, no, once I finish this course, I am done. I'm just not liking 3D as much as 2D, it's too frustrating.

Squibbit
06-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I like the birds and the forest pics ("alone in te dark" and "another landscape pic")
the most , real nice stuff there, how bout some more detailed versions of the
forest pics ? :curious:

offbeatworlds
06-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Finally, after days of strugling with schoolwork, it is all done. I've actually been relaxing for a few days and taking a break from painting. But, I finally got the urge to paint again.

Here is a portrait I painted without a reference. I know the eyes are at a different angle than the face, and they're a little large, but is there anything else wrong?

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/face_exercise22.jpg

pap87
06-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Looks pretty fine, especially for no reference. She looks like she could be a real person.
There might just be one or two things not worth mentioning as they are more a matter of opinion than correct anatomy.

I notice though that almost all females you draw without reference look almost exactly the same. Then again I tend to do that with males I draw.

OK, I'll mention this one (and it's very small). It looks like her nostril is too big, or we are seeing to much of it for such an angle. One thing is certain, your skintones are one of your strengths now, so there is nothing to crit there.

offbeatworlds
06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to change that fact that most of my non-refed faces all look the same.

I see what you mean about the nostril, and I think I perhaps made the wing of her nose too big as well. Ah well, better luck next time. I'm trying to practice painting without references for a while because I want to start doing portraits of my characters (and then perhaps full scale paintings). Thank you for the compliment on my skintones! :D

Dianae
06-18-2006, 04:52 PM
The skintones are really nice! I agree about the nostril thing though. I think that you should also try to variate the hair colour, it would give more depth :) Well done!

offbeatworlds
06-18-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble with really light hair. I have a few characters that have really light golden blonde hair. It's hard!

Here's my first attempt at this color hair. I used a ref for the face.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/face_exercise23.jpg

Shadowbrooke
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
These recent character sketches are awesome Sylanya! Keep going. I really enjoy following your the progress of your thread :)

offbeatworlds
07-14-2006, 03:26 AM
Hi all!

I know I haven't been around for awhile. I was not feeling like painting.

But this morning I was just flipping through some of Linda's stuff, and got inspired (finally) to paint.

This is what I did tonight. Just a practice.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/face_exercise24.jpg

pap87
07-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Good to see you're back, off to another great start. Keep it up!:)

Salubri3i
07-15-2006, 12:49 AM
glad to see you back sy. somehow CGtalk isn't the same without you. :D

this is another good piece btw. thinking of fully rendering it?

Shadowbrooke
07-15-2006, 05:35 AM
very nice sketch! I like her eyes most. Good work.

Elsie
07-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Steph, I really like those lips and eyes :D. Lovely start, hope you do some more work on this one!

Runecaster
07-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey Steph nice to see you back! This is a big improvement :) That nose and those lips are really exceptional - would love to see them fleshed out.

offbeatworlds
07-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey everyone! Thank you for all the warm welcomes-backs. *hugs*

I'm glad you like my newest face. I doubt I'll flesh her out, but I plan on doing some portraits of my story's main villian's personal slaves (ehhem...think harem). Maybe I'll use this face as a guideline for one of them.

Anyways, thanks again for rewelcoming me back. I wasn't actually gone, I just wasn't...painting. But I did miss it.

offbeatworlds
07-16-2006, 03:48 AM
Here is the first of my "concubine" sketches. Character portraits of my main villians slave girls. There are eight of them in total. This is Lalena.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/lalena.jpg

I'm having trouble figuring out why she doesn't look realistic. I know she's sketching, but there's something else wrong. I didn't use a reference so I couldn't use that to help figure it out. If you guys can spot anything that could be my problem, it would be great if you could point it out. Thanks guys!

EDIT: I know her shoulders are to small....

pap87
07-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Looks to me like her left eye (right to us) is to far to the left. I could be wrong though. If someone else says the same though then for sure that's the problem.

offbeatworlds
07-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Here is concubine portrait number 2. This is Vaynelle, and she is as icey in personality as her eye color. Her hair color was very challenging.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/vaynelle.jpg

eilidh
07-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Tip for white/light eyebrows: never use a dark underlayer; paint the light hairs directly on top of the skin. There might be some minimal shade, but even that will be in the colours of the skin. Similarly, the eyelashes should be light as well, unless of course the person is wearing mascara (which I personally think has much less impact in a portrait than naturally light eyelashes).

Here's a nice large photo of an albino eye (http://www.eyeassociates.com/New%20Pages%20Blue/Scott%20Aniversary%20Party%2011%202003%20059%20cc.jpg) to give you an idea.

arpeggioator
07-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Great work here! love the last portrait. the expression is spot on and the white/silver-hair is perfect!

cant wait to see more portraits! :)

Salubri3i
07-17-2006, 12:48 AM
i love the last picture. it might just be me but she reminds me of estella warren. :love:

Shadowbrooke
07-17-2006, 01:00 AM
I like girls with white hair too. The last sketch is my fav :)

offbeatworlds
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Thank you for all the comments guys, I'm glad you like her.

eilidh-I appreciate the fact that you took the time to look up albino facial hair, however, this character is not an albino. She just has icey white hair and slightly darker eyebrows. I kept her eyelashes black because I find white eyelashes very unsettling, and as she is a harem slave, why shouldn't she wear mascara? Thank you for the help though. :)

eilidh
07-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Ah, fair enough then. :)

offbeatworlds
07-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Portrait number 3, Genili. Firey hair, and a seductive character. One of my villian's favorites. ;)

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/genili.jpg

I think I want to try to get sketchier with these portraits. Not out of laziness, but because I like how sketchy looks, and I need to practice that anyways.

offbeatworlds
07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
And here is portrait 4, Kareena. Intellegent, a dreamer, with vivid violet eyes and a calm disposition.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/kareena.jpg

Grundans2D
07-18-2006, 11:09 PM
You are doing progress I see!
the last faces are great!
I think your "sketchy" technique is coming along nicely, keep it up!

Shadowbrooke
07-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Wow the portrait of Kareena looks very pretty :thumbsup:

pap87
07-19-2006, 03:04 PM
:eek: Wow! That last one is especially stunning. Are you using references for these?

Keep them coming!

offbeatworlds
07-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Pap87- I'm sort of using references. I'm taking a couple of pictures and trying to combine them into one face. So like I'll take the lips of one, the eyes of another, etc. It's a bit more challenging, but also fun because I'm creating new people. ^_^

offbeatworlds
07-20-2006, 06:36 PM
I started a new painting today. It's a sort-of portrait of one of the goddesses in my world, Aurmen. She is the goddess of flora and fauna (hence the leafy dress and the doe). I plan on adding a few birds and butterflies here and there, maybe a couple other things as well (maybe a cat?). Anyways, I just thought I'd show you what I have done so far.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/aurmen-update1.jpg

I'm not all to crazy about the skintones or the leg positions right now. I'll try and futz with them and see if I can make them better.

And no, I'm not done with the concubine portraits yet, I have about 4 more to do, and I plan on painting one tonight. So keep a look out! :)

offbeatworlds
07-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Another concubine portrait. This one is Kikeci, and she's the cutest of the lot.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/kikeci.jpg

jtico
07-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Nice work here Sylanya :)

offbeatworlds
07-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Hey guys. I was just playing around in Photoshop and decided to practice hair colors. After doing five slave portraits, I was beginning to see that my hair rendering skills were lacking, particularly with the colors. So I decided to paint a few select colors (the hair colors of the concubines). I'm thinking I might do another of these with other colors and perhaps more interesting or complicated colors.

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/hairpractice.jpg

From left to right.
Top: Icey white, Silver Blonde, Golden Blonde, Strawberry Blonde
Bottom: Firey Red, Burgundy, Brown, Black

pap87
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
That's the one thing I envy tablet users for, the ability to control the thickness of a stoke to get a fine looking tip.
They all look quite good. Are you gonna go and touch up the hair on the previous pictures too?

offbeatworlds
07-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't think so. If I do anything at all it will be repainting them entirely. I have a list of the colors I want to try today, and I also what to practice brushstrokes and textures (in both Photoshop and Painter). My mom had a gallbladder attack last night and I was left in charge of the house so I don't know how much I can get done. I gotta do the laundry...

paperclip
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
I particularly like the burgundy and the golden blonde! I like your stuff here, keep going!

offbeatworlds
08-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Hey everyone. I know I haven't posted in a few days, and I'm sorry. But I'm not going to be posting for a while at all. You see, I feel like I've been aiming for praise and stars (you know, good ratings) instead of painting because I love it and aiming for improvement. I need to take a break from posting my work and just do it for me. So no more paintings for awhile. At least not that you will see.

Because I've been (stupidly) trying to get good ratings and such as that, I've been ignoring the feeling and moods of my paintings. I'm not letting the important stuff shine through, and I should be. And because of this, when I don't get a good rating or appreciative comments, I get discouraged, and that's also a bad thing. So I'm going to not let that bother me anymore, but I need time to develop this new attitude.

I'll still stick around and comment on other people's work. But I'm not going to be running this thread for awhile.

Zephyri
08-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi Steph, wow, that last post rang a lot of bells with me too... I go through phases on and off like that. Sometimes you know it's good to stop practicing, stop trying to imporve with every single thing you do to get better praise and more recognition, and just paint. Accept that it might not be the best you can do, but you do it because of the love of what you do. Don't feel bad for not posting! From what I can see here you've been putting loads of effort in, the concubine portraits are really lovely, they're a set in their own right, you should try putting them all together into one painting, its amazing how good they can look, having done something similar with my own novel characters.

I await a refreshed and ready to rock Steph once your hiatus is done!

Salubri3i
08-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Now that makes me a bit sad. You're one of the people who inspire me here at cgtalk. :deal:
At any rate you're doing this for all the right reasons so I suppose like Zyphiri I'll be waiting for your return.

Don't be a stranger. :)

offbeatworlds
10-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey everyone! Sorry for the long absence of updates. I've been really busy with school work and a illustration job I got last month.

Anyways, I thought I would just post this new finished piece I'm trying to upload in to my CGPortfolio. It's already posted onto my DeviantART gallery, so you can check it out here (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40817602/).

Also, through my DeviantART account I am taking commissions, in a variety of media from pencil sketches through to digital paintings. Compared to other artists, I think the prices very good, and I would encourage you to check it out. I really need this money to help with college funds and gymnastics. There are also a few prints available on DeviantART, so you can check that out to...please. :)

Thanks for all of your support everyone. Hopefully I will be posting new sketches here soon!

offbeatworlds
11-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey everyone, I'm back.

I've been working on a commission for a digital painting and thought I would post a small snippet of it for you guys to see.

The background is a nebula, and woman is a goddess type entity, which is why she appears sort of insubstantial and seethrough in places. But I'm happy with her face and thought I'd share. ^_^

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/lajoun1-progress.jpg

I know the shading needs to be smoothed some more but I like how she's coming so far.

pap87
11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Welcome back. :D

Cool pic, just that the hand is a bit small.

Excellent work on the rest, her face is really well done.:thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
11-28-2006, 03:01 AM
nice work steph, i like the particle effects on the last one u did:Di agreed about the problems with the hand though,looking forward to see more updates:)

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2006, 03:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.