PDA

View Full Version : Playblast in Mayabatch possible ?

relief7
05-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi guys,

I wonder if it is possible to let mayabatch calculate a playblast of an animation. I tried it and it gives no errors but it will not create my video file. Does anyone know what is happening there ? Could it be done with the -offScreen flag set ? In the documentation it says that you are able to render playblasts with this flag set even if the application is iconified.

I just can't try it because it says that offscreen playblast is not supported on my hardware. I would be thankful if someone could give me a pointer ! :-)

Robert Bateman
05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
no, you need the GUI available to playblast, mayabatch initialises maya without the GUI.

relief7
05-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks Rob ! By the way, your tutorials are the best resource when trying to learn the Maya API ! They helped me so much ! Thanks alot !

but its too bad that this cannot be accomplished easily... so is there any other simple way to get an automated render or preview as an avi file for a scene ? I am still a little bit new to maya and I fiddled around for quite some time now. The problem is, I would like to generate an automated preview of MotionCapture scenes either as a preview of the joints or as a rendered animation of the mesh. The whole thing should be automated so, lets say, I fire up a perl script for a given folder and the outcome is avis for the maya scene files in the folder, which have the same name...

But this really seems to be a dead end in either way I tried. For a playblast, you have to have the GUI open and the final size of the movie is dependent on whether you have the attribute editor open for example (whose idea was that ?), instead of rendering the playblast off of a clean and new viewport like in 3ds max. And on the other hand, the maya renderer can not create compressed avis. I also looked for an automated way to convert single rendered frames into an avi but no success.

Too bad, that I implemented my avi video preview in c++ first while believing that this can be achieved in Maya. Haha ! :D If anyone has a solution for this, please tell me !

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2006, 04:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.