PDA

View Full Version : Char Animation: Dr. Attitude

Carm3D
05-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Hello,

I have begun animating this guy.. He's a sort of motivational speaker. So the intention is to give him alot of energy.

You can see the animation-in-progress here (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/DrAttitude/TurntableViewer.htm).

Be happy,

Zephyrpower
05-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, first I think that when you render something out, you should try to get rid of all those extra gizmos and distracting things that are on your model, it would really help us (or me at least) to better interpret what's going on.

Now for the animation. First, the walk needs to be fixed a lot, it looks like he's just doing a generic robot march, then he trips or something, than does his energetic thing. I think you should try to find something on T.V. with people behaving that way or act it yourself. The walk should be slightly more energetic, realistic and I don't know what that "trip" thing is, but I would get rid of that. The last "acting part" looks decent I guess, it would be cool if his lips moved, other than that, it's hard to tell because all the excess rigs and such you've got attached.

Carm3D
05-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Well, first I think that when you render something out, you should try to get rid of all those extra gizmos and distracting things that are on your model, it would really help us (or me at least) to better interpret what's going on.

Am unable to comply. Not worth the trouble to turn those things on and off all the time. You realize this isn't rendered, but merely an OpenGL preview right? The rendered character isn't green and red. :)

Now for the animation. First, the walk needs to be fixed a lot, it looks like he's just doing a generic robot march, then he trips or something, than does his energetic thing. I think you should try to find something on T.V. with people behaving that way or act it yourself. The walk should be slightly more energetic, realistic and I don't know what that "trip" thing is, but I would get rid of that. The last "acting part" looks decent I guess, it would be cool if his lips moved, other than that, it's hard to tell because all the excess rigs and such you've got attached.

I've gotten alot of negative feedback on the little "walk" he does in the beginning.. But this walk and hop motion is just how I acted it out when I did it myself. It's not meant to be a casual walk.. More like a "strut" or some kind of funky flourish. After watching the real guy, this is what I was inspired to do. Lip synch will come later. I animate in layers. After I'm done animating his torso / limbs, I'll do lip synch, then eyes, then fingers, etc. The rigs have to stay. I don't have any problem delineating between character and rig gizmo, myself. Thanks. :)

Goon
05-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Am unable to comply. Not worth the trouble to turn those things on and off all the time. You realize this isn't rendered, but merely an OpenGL preview right? The rendered character isn't green and red. :)

No need to get snarky : ) It may be convenient for you, but it seriously obscures the action for the viewer, us mostly. Its as useful as posting a wireframe of a subdivided model with no shading.

For being Dr. Attitude, he doesn't have a strong character coming across. Seems like his walk in should be hitting strong poses, whereas you seem to be going for a limp realistic walk. Also his torso is not moving like someone would if they were making an entrance, and speaking at the same time. There's no "Hi, I'm..." gesture there.

Why does he hop?

This is animation. Just because you act it out that way, doesn't mean that's all you should do. Push the animation until there is character coming across.

Zephyrpower
05-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Am unable to comply. Not worth the trouble to turn those things on and off all the time. You realize this isn't rendered, but merely an OpenGL preview right? The rendered character isn't green and red.

I've gotten alot of negative feedback on the little "walk" he does in the beginning.. But this walk and hop motion is just how I acted it out when I did it myself. It's not meant to be a casual walk.. More like a "strut" or some kind of funky flourish. After watching the real guy, this is what I was inspired to do. Lip synch will come later. I animate in layers. After I'm done animating his torso / limbs, I'll do lip synch, then eyes, then fingers, etc. The rigs have to stay. I don't have any problem delineating between character and rig gizmo, myself. Thanks.

Well, it's been awhile since I've touched any 3d app, but way back when I used 3dsmax 3.0-3.5, it was pretty easy to hide the rig and it made it a lot easier for everyone to discern subtle mistakes that may need to be fixed. On the other hand, maybe your right, your animation looks like it still needs a good bit of fine-tuning before we get to the real subtleties stage. I hate to sound mean, but that walk makes him look like he's taking baby-steps! Seriously, I don't get the funky flourishing strut with those tiny footsteps. Also, I think the hop would make more sense if he jumped into one of his excited/gesturing poses near the end. Right now it looks like he's tripping over that bar/rig thing in the middle of the floor.

Also, the part where he starts to say "Check it out"--that hand gesture could be improved I think. Right now, his palms are facing us and it looks like he's about to approach a large object to be pushed or something. It's not terrible, I guess, because those gestures are starting to display the attitude your going for, but I still think they could be improved.

Carm3D
05-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Here's an update (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/DrAttitude/TurntableViewer.htm) to the animation. I made some changes to the first two steps and his hop to try to make it look less like a trip and more of an intentional move.

MikeYork
05-20-2006, 01:24 AM
I think its a great start :-) I think that the hop in the begining should be more exagerated

PUSH IT!

I am looking forward to the finished version :-)

Carm3D
05-22-2006, 04:10 AM
Hey all, here's an update (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/DrAttitude/TurntableViewer.htm). Cheers!

Carm3D
06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Doop de doo.. Nealy done with the first anim pass: linky-poo (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/DrAttitude/TurntableViewer.htm)

Zephyrpower
06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Hmm, well it appears I'm the only one who replies to this thread.

My only critiques right now

1. The hop still bugs me---Why does he hop on stage? Do you have links of Dr. attitude just hopping in the middle of a walk? I just don't think it fits--but I guess you wanna do it.
2. I still have all those gizmos and gagdets--I know you don't think it's worth it to make them invisible or hide them, or render it so we can't see them, but I think it would really help other people critique your animation--especially when it's a wider shot--they really get distracting, I tried to ignore them, however, and I'll do the best to critique.
3. Overall it looks like a nice flow of animation. Some of the poses near the end I'm not sure about. The last few things he says around "The doctor is in the house" seem kind of awkward and stiff and the poses don't seem right.

Carm3D
06-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi Zephyrpower,

Yah the last few seconds aren't fully polished yet.

Capel
06-05-2006, 11:10 PM
dude, hide your curves for crying out loud. it's hard to focus on the animation.

anyway, my critiques have more to do with acting choices than anything else. i personally find any and all motivational speakers to be really cheesy and annoying, and those emotions are really coming across in your animation. so if that's what you're going for, then it's working. i don't like that the character never stops moving. he never seems to hit an actual pose and keep it for any amount of time. it looks soupy, like he's just flowing from one pose to the next. also, you've got him hitting almost a brand new pose on every accent in the dialogue.

if you look at real people, even the over-compensating motivational speakers, you'll find that they're hitting poses and keeping those poses as long as they can. the body natually wants to conserve energy, so it only moves as much as it needs to. i could see this character moving as much as you have him moving now if he was at the climax of his speech and was trying to pump the audience up. but as it is, he just seems to be giving an introduction. oh well, to change that you'd have to basically start over, which i doubt you'd want to do. and i don't blame you. i'd tighten up some of the movement. make it all a little less soupy and don't have him accent every other word in the dialogue.

Carm3D
06-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi Capel,

Thanks for your feedback. It's too late to redo this anim but I'll keep this in mind for my next project.

FernandoLujan
06-11-2006, 03:34 AM
I think your video is great. However, when people speak they don't move the way he's moving in that video. You might want to look into the link I'm going to give you. Don't mind what the video is about, you can even mute it. It's not informational or anything. This is just a reference for you to see how some people who speak to the camera move their bodies and hands to use body language. Enjoy, and good luck!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6564685317729053994&q=infomercial

Carm3D
06-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Thanks FernandoLujan,

But the client provided me with video of the actual guy speaking in front of an audience and what I animated is sort of a hieghtened version of the real guy. He's very energetic.

Carm3D
06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Hullo..

I'm done with the first animation pass.. Working on lip-synch now.

Linkiepoo (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/DrAttitude/TurntableViewer.htm)

FernandoLujan
06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Great job! I really like it. My only crit would be to push the shapes more. Exaggerate the lip movements and exaggerate the face expressions. Move the eyebrows more. Keep up the good work.

Carm3D
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks Fernando :)

Because of the way I'm doing this, the eyes and eyebrows have to be the last thing I do.

Carm3D
06-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Lip synching complete..

Link (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/DrAttitude/TurntableViewer.htm)

Capel
06-14-2006, 01:55 AM
dude, for the love of everything that is holy would you please hide all that crap? it's blocking your animation and it's totally distracting. seriously, hide it. ANYWAY, if you want a crit on the lip sync you should create a camera and parent it to his head, then playblast an animation of it, cuz right now i'm only catching a few bits and pieces of it. from what i can see, it starts to fall apart around the "now here's an opportunity" part. none of the shapes really seem to match from there on out. but again, could you post a playblast from a "headcam" angle? really kind of pointless to try and crit the lip sync from what you have posted.

Carm3D
06-14-2006, 02:13 AM
I had the HeadCam thing going for a while there.. This update I needed to show the body because the client wanted a few changes to the body's motions. Somehow they're able to make it out with all the crap in there. :D

poopface1998
06-14-2006, 02:32 AM
great stuff! keep it up.

Capel
06-14-2006, 02:35 AM
I had the HeadCam thing going for a while there.. This update I needed to show the body because the client wanted a few changes to the body's motions. Somehow they're able to make it out with all the crap in there. :D

ummm... ok. well since we're not the client, can you show a HeadCam playblast?

Carm3D
06-14-2006, 02:56 AM
ummm... ok. well since we're not the client, can you show a HeadCam playblast?

Ya, here (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/DrAttitude) ya go.

jdonnelly
06-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey, it really would be nice and easier for all of us if you turned off the joints and controllers. Plus, for me, it'd be nice not to see the target looking thing in the camera view.
The biggest thing that's bothering me is at the end when his arms just drop to his sides. Its like they suddenly fell asleep and are just hanging there. I'd keep them in some sort of moving hold on them and keep a single pose.
Capel! Your animation reel on your site is amazing!! I hope to grow up to be like you someday! haha

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.