PDA

View Full Version : Quadro4 750 XGL Firmware

dvornik
01-07-2003, 04:54 AM
Why would Quadro4 750 XGL firmware from Boxx be incompatible with a Compaq 750 XGL? It says no such card found in the system. Boxx firmware looks like it's released in October while Compaq is April. Aren't they supposed to be the same cards?

elvis
01-07-2003, 05:07 AM
by firware i assume you mean the video card bios.

it is wise to only use the bios supplied by the card's manufacturer. you can sometimes get away with cross-manufacturer bios flashes, but it's not a good idea.

also, you'll find that you rarely need to flash an nvidia video bios these days. doing so really doesn't offer any extra stability or performance, as most video bios related options on concern booting the system before the windows drivers take over.

dvornik
01-07-2003, 05:13 AM
Yes, compaq calls it bios and boxx calls it firmware. I had to upgrade compaq bios in the past cause it wouldn't work with detonator 27.52 and above. So I thought generic bios would be a good idea. The card itself looks as generic as your average eVga geforce.

loop29
01-07-2003, 10:02 AM
This issue is related to the entry of the subvendordeviceID of the VGA-Bios. On reference Bios from nvidia this value is set to zero, sometimes this makes installation of reference drivers on OEM cards impossible and the only way to fix it is flashing the bios.
A very good tool to identify the bios settings of your nvidia adapter is Ray Adams NVIDIA Bios Editor available at www.guru3d.com
For flashing a new bios to a GF4 you will need a proper version of nvflash utility, I canīt remember from what version up GF4 is supported, you should do a good research on this cause if you damage your bios in any way while trying to flash your waranty is gone and your video card maybe too. Anyway, I didnīt had any problems with flashing bioses with GF2/3 but I never tried GF4. Unless there is no critical issue you shouldnīt flash bios. Even for some settings like sideband adressing and fastwrite support you can use rivatuner for forcing those features on GF cards, that was not possible in the earlier days. Sideband and fastwrites is supported by GF4 by default. If it is for some reason dissabled on your card you can use Rivatuner to see if it works in your system, if this will result in instability you can easily switch it off again with Rivatuner, all software related, no need to flash bios. With GF 2/3 sideband and fastwrites was often a difficult feature to have, sometimes it leads to instability only in some applications and not in the whole system, but if youīre using a slightly older motherboard with a GF4 it is possible that nvidia drivers will install without enabling sideband or fastwrites. Most of the times it is better to leave those settings alone, because they did that for specific reasons like causing instability or other issues.

regards

CgFX
01-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Sometimes there are different BIOS versions for the OEMs to implement work arounds due to issues with their system BIOS or MB issues.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.