PDA

View Full Version : No Place Like Home

TheZer0
05-14-2006, 07:20 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/DavionShores/NoPlaceLikeHome.jpg

"After the Great War, many of the war machines that were used soon found themselves obsolete and no longer needed. Many found themselves working in construction, rebuilding the cities they had once destroyed. There are rumors, however, that one still wanders the Wastes, and has grown fond of birds."

Photoshop; took a couple of hours to get to this point. I don't know if I'm done or not, might fiddle with it a bit more, it's a bit sloppy I guess =/. About the third time I've really plugged in my Wacom and used it. Need more practice. :P

MattVogt
05-14-2006, 07:32 AM
That's a big robot. With respect to you mentioning that it's a bit sloppy, I try to use what I've thrown down as something to build on. In other words, my gestural drawings sometimes look not even half as good as your line art, but I lessen their opacity and build new features on top. Even traditional artists noodle away, but really one line will do - as if you pick your lines as a better artist because you've already roughed it and are aware of what and what doesn't work. I like your use of textures, and how he's checking out the birds. Great glow you got going. Note that if I didn't ready your back story I would have thought the birds where bugs or something - add some reference to scale that is easily readable.

Keep it plugged in and do more

TheZer0
05-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. :) I'll try and figure out a way to convey scale in this a bit more. I was afraid the birds would be hard to read just because they are so small.

TheZer0
05-14-2006, 03:22 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/DavionShores/NoPlaceLikeHomeWIP.jpg

Done a bit of work, added telephone poles at the bottom to show scale, did a little more line work. Tell me what you think.

TheZer0
05-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Do the things on his back look weird? Or do they get the message across that they are giant bird-tower-home things? :P Do they even look like they are on his back?

Just some questions.

stuh505
05-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I will echo most of what Matt said...and I think the composition is great, but this piece will not shine as just a sketch, it needs to be done in detail to really convey the scale and majesty

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2006, 09:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.