PDA

View Full Version : vehicleRigging

tobyWong
01-07-2003, 03:41 AM
How do you go about figuring out how to get the tires on a car(or in this case steamroller) to turn correctly when you translate the car? I've seen this done befor but I cant remember where.

thanks,
-Toby

goosh
01-07-2003, 03:53 AM
there are quite a few tutorials on the web about it.

I can't remember where they are though :(

Try this one.. though I'm not sure if it'll work for you ( http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/animation/copter/partVI.html )

Goosh

dmcgrath
01-08-2003, 10:19 PM
This is an easy code set-up with an expression. Just make the wheel turn 360 degrees when the steamroller moves forward a certian amout. Then you can cycle the expression forever.

joie
01-10-2003, 08:07 AM
This is pretty simple in MAYA, I made it for an animation with lots of cars in scene and works quite well...
If you want to make the wheels rotate accordingly to the distance of the whole range the only thing you must know is the Distance, and this is easy to get if you have animated your car with "path animation", and, of course, I recommend to use it, it makes all the process easier.
To know the distance, you have in MAYA a tool that makes it for you, I think it is "Arc length tool", the key is to know where you are in your "Path animation" curve and this tool lets you know it, then you simply use the output of this tool ("distancetoolShape1.distance" for example) and use it in your expresion, donīt remember the exact equation, but itīs quite simple if you remember your 8-aged maths :P
Or if you donīt remember those maths, you can always play with numbers to get what you want (it works pretty well although). like "wheel1.rotateX=disanceToolShape1.distance*?", where "?" is the number to play with.

Hope it helped, and sorry for my English.

If you want to see the Animation I mentioned check this URL

http://www.vortice3d.com/Videos/Entretenimiento/SeriesTV/PilotoFN.avi

Itīs a TV series trailer, so itīs quite big, but I hope it woths your time!

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.