PDA

View Full Version : Spline IK arms?

spaz8
01-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Ok i was readin a thread about spline Ik legs and how you CAN'T get them to exactly stick to one spot in space. So im wondering if there's no point in using spline ik in the arms because the hands will slip around whatever they may be touching or holding on to defeating there purpose. Jason S. (from Weta) had the solution of trying a wire deformer instead for the legs.

I just think it would be cool to have the stretchiness of spline ik that we can get in the spine also in the arms and legs, even for those guys that use ik on the head. Is there another way to get the strechy function with out spline ik if its gonna drift. Or could a mel script not be written to constrain the spline curve to make it behave?

dwalden74
01-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Thereīs more than one way to get stretchiness in a rig. "Jason From Weta" uses the splineIK in the back because, simply put, itīs the best solution for that area of the character. For example, Iīm currently writing a series of rigging tools that allows the user to seamlessly stretch any area of the body, often using simply ikRPsolver IK Handles (not splineIK, although I do use that in the back like J F W).

:beer:
David

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.