PDA

View Full Version : arrived at last, but with questions

gigatron
01-07-2003, 04:00 AM
Finally I have my wacom intuos 9x12 with its secksi grey stylus which i got from ebay (a steal deal!) BUT now I am wondering, where do I start, what are some good ways to practice? I downloaded the wacom drivers and pentools (although it was only a buncha filters for photoshop if i remember when i installed it a while back :/) I am wondering though, what were some things you guys did/do to begin with a wacom tablet, what do you do to improve overall, etc... I haven't tried drawing anything, was mostly doodling with brushes in photoshop and painter since its a new gadget i know almost nothing about Thanks in advance

Iain McFadzen
01-07-2003, 10:51 AM
It's a pen, there really isn't anything to learn. Just draw stuff, lots of stuff. The more you use it the better you will get, just like anything else. You might find that putting a piece of paper on top of the tablet helps you draw because it creates more friction than the tablet's plastic covering, and slows the pen down across the surface giving a bit more control.

vertex
01-09-2003, 03:03 PM
If it were me, I would start by downloading the trial version of Alias Sketchbook. I have used photoshop and wacoms for over 10 years now and they are both excellent.

The thing I like about Sketchbook is that it feels like a pencil and paper when drawing.

It is very cool and should help you quickly get a feel for the tablet.

One thing worth checking is to open the wacom control panel in your operating system and set the advanced mapping to proportionate. this should stop you drawing a circle on your tablet and getting an oval on the screen. It does reduce the tablet area slightly but it feels much better.

Vertex

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.