PDA

View Full Version : Stern gaze

pap87
05-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Got some brief inspiration after watching some tutorials, so I thought I might let myself go and see what happens.
This is what I came up with after two hours. Don't really have any idea what I was trying to achieve other than to make the guy look tough.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/pap87/Day1.jpg

Hope to get it looking a bit more detailed. Am trying for dramatic lighting so I hope I am on the right track.
Crits on anything you see here are most welcome.
Thanks for looking.

pap87
05-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Upped the contrast, added some background.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/pap87/Day2.jpg

I'm not good with backgrounds. Don't know what else I would do here. I'm happy with how it looks. 3 hours work so far. Thanks for looking.

pap87
05-15-2006, 07:13 AM
I guess no one's replying either because it's shite or there's nothing wrong with it. If it's the latter, should I bother posting it in the finished section?

frostblade
05-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I think it pretty good :)
You might want to work on the eye area a bit more... it's very white while he is in a dark place....might want to add some shadow to the area where it looks like the brow part of face is casting a shadow on the eye area too.

Runecaster
05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Well this is just the first I've seen it Pap -- I've gone for days and days with not a soul making a comment on my thread - it goes in waves :)

I wonder what you're going for here - it's so stylized that it's hard to make a crit because it could entirely be what you intended. Ya know?

The only thing I've noticed (besides the eye which frostblade mentioned, and I agree with) is the nostril - I think it should be out towards the edge of the nose more. That much flesh at the end of the nose just doesn't happen in a human usually --- but like I said, it almost doesn't look like he's really human necessarily, or he's comically exaggerated and that is the intention...

Anyway, I think it's well done overall :) :thumbsup:

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 01:07 PM
This is looking really good so far! I love the firey skintones. The only thing I see that's off is the eyeball, it's too white, it almost glows. Against the dark skin and the dark background, that eyeball just sticks out. Try to darken that down a bit. Also, the surface of the eye is highly reflective (cause it's covered with a thin layer of liquid), so the colors of the skin and the surrounding area would be reflected in it.

Great work though, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread!

pap87
05-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much for the tips, people. I'll get to the changes tomorrow.

pap87
05-15-2006, 02:44 PM
I thought, "what the hell, why wait till tomorrow, it's only 12:30 at night" so I corrected the crap stuff. All I can say is thank god for the liquify tool, SO useful.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/pap87/Day3.jpg

I must say i was quite impressed with the difference (if any of you can actually see it). Not much of a difference to tell the truth but it's there. I darkened the eye, made it more glossy and reflective, pushed the left end of the nostril further left, thinned the top lip, thickened the bottom one, and made the chin smaller.
Whether it's supposed to be stylised or not, I generally had a stylised picture in mind, but come the time to draw it ends up looking more realistic. I think my main wish was to get that powerful looking mouth/jaw area, kind of like characters from Marvel comics (not that i read them I just like the way they look).
Alright, enough blabber from me.

offbeatworlds
05-15-2006, 02:49 PM
The eye definitely looks way better. Much more realistic. Great update!

EDIT: You know I think he sort of looks like Frankenstein's monster. In a good way, but it's wicked cool. Great face.

Iridyse
05-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow, the eye is looking -much- better! I'd just say that the yellow light in your image is quite strong and it should reflect in the eye too, the eye looks too blue in comparison.
I really like the way you've painted the lips, the dark/light contrast makes them so 3d.

pap87
05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks alot for the tip hiiri, I modified the eye according to your judgement and it truly does look better so THANKS!
Here it is.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/pap87/Day5.jpg

Everytime I post the latest one I am thinking there can't be anything left to fix, but someone comes and proves me wrong, which is great because it just keeps getting better and better.

But this time I truly believe that there is nothing left to fix. I am very happy with the results.

Heh, I just realised that all the people that replied here are female so I guess I should say thanks ladies.

Well I'm gonna stop this piece here, maybe go on to something new.

aldog
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
this looks so great, the colors evoke so much emotion, just wonderful.

Iridyse
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
It's looking finished to me too ;)

Well done, the eye is looking much much better. :thumbsup:

pap87
05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Gee you were quick to reply, thanks! I'll submit it then.

Runecaster
05-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Well done Pap! :thumbsup:

frostblade
05-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Well done, this is looking good, love the textures and the eye looks great :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2006, 12:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.