PDA

View Full Version : Dual graphic cards and 64 bit

jakwag
05-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey

I'm out looking for a new system. I will build my self.

I've been reading through this forum and it has been very helpfull, but I still have two questions:

1. My conclusion have been that a 7900GTX card would be the right choice. But what about two? How much can you benefit from using a doubble graphic cards setup? Games have no importence Maya and Modo and After FX is my main concern. Can the 7900GTX cards be used as doubbles?

2. It seems the 64 bit is winning the market. What excactly is better about 64 bit? the overall speed or..?

: ) Jakob

MassTA
05-13-2006, 01:55 PM
How much can you benefit from using a doubble graphic cards setup?
In games 50-80%.
In 3D apps - nothing. :)

Can the 7900GTX cards be used as doubbles?
Yes, but keep in mind that it will need at least 500W PSU.

2. It seems the 64 bit is winning the market. What excactly is better about 64 bit? the overall speed or..?

It can use up to 16GB of memory, while Windows XP 32 bit can use only up to 2GB (3GB with a special option during boot, but that doesnt work for some people).

DuttyFoot
05-14-2006, 03:40 AM
if sli mode dosen't do much for 3d work like it does for games, what companies make motherboards with just a single pci-e slot.

ArtbyBpc
05-14-2006, 05:16 AM
Pretty much every motherboard company makes just pci-e mobos. Just because you have a sli mobo, does not mean you have to run dual video cards though. You could get an sli board now, and just run one video card no prob. That would make the board more future proof, just incase say next year 3d apps introduce the use of sli. Just food for thought.

deathstar129
05-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Also another note i wanna add is that if you put two cards in a computer make sure you get a board the support sli running both cards at 16x. Most of the time if you put another video card in your pci-e goes from 16x to 8x unless you have a specail board.

jakwag
05-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks all! That helped alot. I'll just go with one card now then, but I will consider buying a sli card if it isn't much ekstra money.
MassTa > excactly what I needed to know. I will definetly go with 64 bit then. :)

Jakob

lots
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM
It can use up to 16GB of memory, while Windows XP 32 bit can use only up to 2GB (3GB with a special option during boot, but that doesnt work for some people).
To be exact, its 128GB. XP64bit's upper limit for physical RAM. Though XP 64bit supports up to 16TB in virtual memory, while 32bit windows is stuck at the 4GB mark for both, combined.

DuttyFoot
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
your'e right i could just get one card. i wonder if 3d apps will ever make use of the sli feature.

newman
05-16-2006, 08:03 AM
your'e right i could just get one card. i wonder if 3d apps will ever make use of the sli feature.

Not with the way SLI works at the moment. First thing to do would be to make 3d apps make use of single gfx cards for rendering - right now, it doesn't make much difference in rendering times whether youre using a geforce 6600 GT or 7900 GTX, its mostly in the CPU. It does use them for viewport performance (and that doesn't make use of SLI either), but that's fine with just one card, providing that card is not extremely old and weak.
However, with the introduction of multiple core graphics cards SLI may very well become a thing of the past. It's much better to have all that power in just one card, so you can get some decent cooling for it. Every SLI setup I've seen has those cards pretty close to one another, making it next to impossible to get the same cooling conditions for both. Oh, they'll work, but you've seriously shortened their lifespan. Murphy's law says they'll both die one day after guarantee has expired :D

imashination
05-16-2006, 10:38 AM
The current dual cord gfx cards are still sli, they just do it on one physical card. Exactly the same limitations

newman
05-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Also, one of the new things that are expected to come out are multiple core processors, which will not act as a multiple processor system, but rather as a single proc. All the cores will act together as one processing unit. The advantage is, of course, support - every app will support them as they support their more conventional single core brethren. I imagine this might also be applied to the graphics card market, if successful. How much of a difference will it make performance-wise remains to be seen.

lots
05-16-2006, 12:45 PM
To clearify.

I hear AMD is working on a sort of "reverse" hyper threading. This does what nighttrain describes. Insted of taking one CPU and creating an extra virtual CPU from it, the technology would take single threaded apps and distribute them across multiple cores. How well this will work with single threaded apps remains to be seen. I have my doubts to its usefulness in some specific single threaded tasks. Physics, for example where a high degree of inter CPU communication is needed to make use of multiple cores.

As for multi core graphics cards, there are none. Nvidia does have its dual 7900GTX, but this is simply two cards stacked on top of eachother at slower than 7900GTX speeds (heat reasons I can only guess) with a PCIe switch between the two to make effective use of the x16 PCIe connection the monster gets, and a hard wired SLI bridge. After all, that is two 16 lane PCIe cards running of a single 16 lane PCIe connector. The dual card can be put in side by side with another dual card to get 4 way SLI, and some really remarkable power (both computing and electrical requirements :P).

Personally, the cost for this kind of thing isn't worth it in the long run. SLI configs usually get outdated by the next greatest card that comes out of Nvidia. Take the 6800GT in SLI. A single 7800GTX is more than a match. I find its much cheaper (and more compatible) to go with single card setups. Though SLI would be nice if gaming on that massive 30" dell is your dream :)

newman
05-16-2006, 12:58 PM
As for multi core graphics cards, there are none.

True. I did hear they are working on it though. Of course, this would have to be checked, and I can't right now - security at my work is set up so employees can only visit a few sites (this being one of them) - so any sort of googling for answers is out of the question. That's mostly the reason why I'm quoting hearsay instead of actual data backed up by links... But multi-core graphics cards are the next logical step... graphics cards are really small computers without hard drives, devoted to graphics only - the card itself is essentially the motherboard, on which you have your processor and memory... So any hardware advancements related to CPUs or memory are bound to have their impact on graphics cards. That's the way I see it anyway.

imashination
05-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Sorry, to clarify, the currently multi gpu cards are just sli on one board. Yes, there are no dual core gpu cards

DuttyFoot
05-17-2006, 12:51 AM
i have read that if u run two sli cards you need something like 550w power supply becasue they consume alot of power.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2006, 12:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.