PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Meggo
05-13-2006, 05:28 AM
To make only the part of an objects texture transparent where its got hit by a particle, dependend on the size of the particle's shape?

Meggo

mackdadd
05-15-2006, 08:38 PM
i'm gonna attempt to answer this, but i could be very wrong (i'm going from memory)...

i believe there's an event in particle flow that will allow you to mark the spots on an object where particles collide with it. i imagine you could use that to create an alpha channel to use as an opacity map on the object you want to disappear. for example, make your object white, and have a little black spot appear when particles hit it. render out the orthographic view directly facing that object, and use something like after effects to crop it down so it's the exact size of your geometry. then simply apply is as an opacity map. is you then change your particle simulation, you'll have to redo the map, but it should work.

i'm basing this a bit on Pete Draper's rain tutorial in his book Deconstructing the Elements. it's how he makes the ripple displacement map for the ground.

Meggo
05-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Thank you, this is a great idea!

Meggo

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2006, 06:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.