PDA

View Full Version : big question about laptops


bamboo
01-06-2003, 11:41 PM
all right just joined the U.s. AirForce, and I am in desperate need of information on laptops that can handle some powerful graphics. My reason being is my job will most likely have me deployed, and everytime I turn around i'll never be at the same place. I'm talking about working in Z-Brush at sizes near the 5000x5000 range. And heavy heavy Lightwave work. So if anybody has any recomondations please tell me, because so far Dell, and those other companies don't seem to be offering much.
peace,
bamboo

dmeyer
01-06-2003, 11:46 PM
I tested a Dell M50 for work recently. You can get the mobile Quadro's in them and 2+ ghz. While being ugly and heavy, the thing really cooked.

XP tends to be buggy with the mobile Quadros though (at least in Maya) - i would recommend wiping it and tossing win2k on there.

Alienware makes some pretty nifty laptops i've heard as well - even with desktop 3.06 p4s in em.

CgFX
01-06-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by dmeyer
XP tends to be buggy with the mobile Quadros though (at least in Maya) - i would recommend wiping it and tossing win2k on there.


Can you be more specific?

dmeyer
01-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Under the default XP Pro config on the M50, i was getting intermittent crash-to-desktop from maya, along with troubles drawing dialogs over the viewports. These were even happening while not stressing the card, just rotating a simple model. I wasn't allowed to wipe the machine or update the drivers as it was a demo unit, but I think this could help.

bamboo
01-07-2003, 12:11 AM
i can't find this M50 on there website, could you post a link to it, and trust me the size doesn't matter, as long as the things can be carried in a suit case around the world.

dmeyer
01-07-2003, 12:15 AM
http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?cs=04&keycode=6W463&br=6&fm=35

It's in the workstation section.

bamboo
01-07-2003, 12:16 AM
cheers man, i think that's looking pretty good at the moment; might keep checking around

elvis
01-07-2003, 01:40 AM
i noticed the fujitsu celcius notebooks also have the quadro4 GoGL chipset included:

http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=CL

Goon
01-07-2003, 01:48 AM
I saw an item of note the most recent Maximum PC mag: Alienware laptops are upgradeable. Just send the comp in to them and they'll put the parts (you pay for the hardware) in for free. You can't get something that doesn't fit in the laptop but they look like they are large laptops

singularity2006
01-07-2003, 06:32 AM
careful when they ship u out... and good luck. <<salutes>>

CgFX
01-07-2003, 03:46 PM
The Celcius notebooks are cool. They have every feature you could imagine. Bluetooth keybard, fingerprint reader for logging in, DVI! output for the external monitor, flash card reader port, etc.

Pretty cool to have a laptop that can drive two digital displays via a digital connection (internal + DVI).

Adam Klein
01-07-2003, 09:07 PM
wow CGfx, I think I actually drooled a little when I read that LOL
:drool:

DeathCarrot
01-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by CgFX
fingerprint reader
whoa :bounce: that alone makes me want to buy it :thumbsup:

CgFX
01-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by dmeyer
Under the default XP Pro config on the M50, i was getting intermittent crash-to-desktop from maya, along with troubles drawing dialogs over the viewports. These were even happening while not stressing the card, just rotating a simple model. I wasn't allowed to wipe the machine or update the drivers as it was a demo unit, but I think this could help.

Since the M50 is Quadro based and certified with Maya (in a very high profile way). I can assure you that any issues you were having are fixed or were never there in a stable config.

A good number of A|W people are using M40/M50 machines in their travels and in the field.

dmeyer
01-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by CgFX
Since the M50 is Quadro based and certified with Maya (in a very high profile way). I can assure you that any issues you were having are fixed or were never there in a stable config.

A good number of A|W people are using M40/M50 machines in their travels and in the field.

OK, i guess i was just hallucinating with the display problems in Maya then.

CgFX
01-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by dmeyer
OK, i guess i was just hallucinating with the display problems in Maya then.

That is certainly not what I was trying to suggest. I was just trying to build on your point about it being a demo system that you couldn't upgrade drivers on.

Demo systems often get pretty messy so I just wanted to make the point that either a properly setup system would have removed the issues or avoided them.

On top of that I wanted to make the point that the M50 is a very very important product to Dell, NVIDIA, and A|W and any real issues get addressed very quickly.

dmeyer
01-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Ah. Gotcha. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.