PDA

View Full Version : Used Skateboard - Maybe a little help needed.

fourd
01-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Well, I've started texturing the skateboard in a used state.
Here's what I got so far. The dirt on the board is a little dark, I got to lighten that. I also had scratches in the board, but I accidentally closed LW Layout without saving my object so I lost those.

The real problem is trying to get a bump map on the wheels that doesn't look stupid. It looks like a bunch of black holes instead of holes that retain there original color. I have to turn of shadowing for those layers but there's about 30 lights in the scene:)

Anyone got any comments or critiques, or maybe help with my wheel bump problem.

http://www.thebrycechronicles.com/four_d/wips/used_skateboard.jpg

squeige
01-07-2003, 02:53 AM
try adding black spots to a diffuse or color channel that matches the bump mapping.

(B-HOLM)
01-07-2003, 05:45 AM
hhhhmmm the board (in some places) looks like it's gotten burnt

MCGrund
01-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi fourd,
if you want the board to look like it's been really skated here are some suggestions:
1.Wheels - Your wheels are way too bright. Used skateboard wheels' color usually becomes yellow-brownish plus the label on the wheels's side wears off nearly completely.

2.Trucks - The skateboard trucks look like they have corroded which is something I haven't seen in real life. I would rather give them some scratches and marks from intense grinding and nose/tail -sliding (marks on the baseplates).

3.Board - Like (B-HOLM) said the board looks like it's gotten burnt. In some parts the color also looks like it has been washed out or faded or whatever. Usually you don't have such smooh color-wood transitions on skateboards. You'd rather have many sliding marks on the board where the color is worn off. Where you have sliding marks you also have wax-marks very often. The leftover paint might look dirty from dust or so.

OK, as you might have realized by now I'm a passionate skateboarder (damn I hate this winter!!!) therefore my suggestions are rather detailed and differ a lot with the way your skateboard looks right now (I hope this doesn't make you hate me more equally than all the others.).
If you want your model to look like it's not been used for grinding, sliding, falling, hurting... but only for transportation, then tell my suggestions (except the ones for the wheels) to go to hell!!!

...öööh...by the way...I like your model...

MCGrund
01-07-2003, 08:55 AM
looky, looky!
http://www.mcgrund.de/cgtalk/used_skateboard suggestions.jpg

cuse
01-07-2003, 09:38 AM
haha twisted ankle ha it pretty well sorted. i was a passionate skater for 7 or so years and thats all good stuf. its looking great but use some of the stuff hes shown but remember things like where the wheel burns the board will occur more on certain corners depending on how its been skated etc... :)

sure you know all that, also oil up the screws and rubber around the trucks.

finally the only real BIG change would be the wheels, theres no tread, no dirt nada? presume your getting to this? nice to see a good model that not sci-fi:)

not that theres anything wrong with that:)

cuse

fourd
01-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Alright, thanks alot twistedankel:beer:

I will put al your instructions to good use.

MCGrund
01-07-2003, 02:12 PM
OK, I'll be waiting for you...eeh I mean updates.
:argh:

fourd
01-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Alright, I got the deck just about where I want it.

I am still working on the Trucks, Truck base and the grip tape.

So what do you think of it so far.

fourd
01-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Here's the next update, what do you think so far.

http://www.thebrycechronicles.com/four_d/wips/deck3.jpg

leigh
01-08-2003, 10:09 PM
That looks cool, but I think that perhaps your bump map is a little blurry :)

fourd
01-08-2003, 10:13 PM
I found the problem, it wasn't the bump map, I musta turned on the motion blur in camera properties sometime ago and forgot about it.

I'll post a better one..

Any other suggestions from the master?

coCoKNIght
01-08-2003, 10:21 PM
One thing: The trucks deform really fast when doing 50/50's you've got to model that, textures won't do.
The board looks really good thou. Don't forget the marks that the wheels do at landing.

leigh
01-08-2003, 10:30 PM
The only other thing that kinda bugs me a bit is that the model could be a little more hi-res - you can see the individual polys at the front of the board...
But otherwise I think it's very cool!

The wheels are particularly good :D

coCoKNIght
01-08-2003, 10:35 PM
Yeah, the wheels are pretty good, but now that Leigh has mentioned it, they need much more dirt where they would touch the ground.

MCGrund
01-09-2003, 07:47 AM
The board is looking much better now, pretty realistic. One thing that still bothers me, is that the sliding marks in the board's middle are too parallel. Add some diagonal ones like on the nose/tail. I think that would really improve the realism. And how about some darker marks from wax or paint.
coCoKNIght is right about the trucks's deformation. Plus the Baseplates are looking too clean and unharmed.

But as I have already said muuuuuuch better, cheers!:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.