PDA

View Full Version : Crash when startup with sat render

bloodlocust
05-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi,

I added another machine (called SLAVE) to the network and installed a slave of xsi for sat rendering. I successfully pointed it to the license server (called MASTER) which is also the machine I open XSI for modelling and initially rendering with. I used usertools to change .ray3hosts to read SLAVE:7003.

Then when I started XSI it gave an unusual error:

---------------------------
SOFTIMAGEŽ XSI
Failed to save scene before system failure.
OK

Then it crashed.

Now each time I start XSI, the same thing happens. If I comment out slave:7003 in the rayhosts file it runs but of course there's no network render. XSI advanced 5.1

Please help!

3DDave
05-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Could be the port number on the slave is wrong. Check the install log on that machine to confirm.

bloodlocust
05-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I found a log buried somewhere in C:\Softimage\XSI_5.1\Setup called Install.log, and it reads: "Setting service mi-raysat3_4_6_14 at TCP/IP port 7003".

The same line in the same log file is in the main machine (master) as well with the same port of 7003.

3DDave
05-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, that's good but it still sounds like the master is not able to talk to the slave, do you have fixed IP addresses? Did you turn off Windows Firewall?

bloodlocust
05-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Hiya,

I use names "master" and "slave" just in case ip addresses change for instance if the router is rebooted.

Yep I'm running a router and I have no antivirus or firewall. I have nailed the cause of xsi crashing on load though! This is the problem: When I ran the console link on XSI slave, it popped up with an error saying missing "msvcr71.dll". Intrigued, I checked out the shortcut path and it showed it runs "cpuinfo.exe", which crashes when msvcr71.dll isn't present.

I wonder why the slave install option did not install msvcr71.dll? Regardless, copying this over allows XSI to load on master.

** HOWEVER **

Now a new problem. When I go to render, it renders a few mental ray cells on master, and I can see some brief activity on the cpu monitor on slave, then all work halts and XSI freezes totally and I have to ctrl+alt+del.

Am I on the right track?

3DDave
05-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Are you using custom shaders besides the ones in XSI?

bloodlocust
05-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Nope, just the lit_allyway_done scene in the softimage tutorial pack (the one with the neon green arrow sign).

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.