PDA

View Full Version : rigging question

bonkanailios
05-12-2006, 05:25 AM
I hope I didnt miss somthing, but basically here are my problems in a nutshell
3dsmax acting hokey=me reinstalling it
reinstall seems to be working fine, I go to college
tutorials gone-install cd= stupid questions on cg talk.

Ok, have made a charachter, he has armor. This armor morphs when the bones controlling the limbs attached to the armor move, (the way they would if they were part of his body...because they are). also in a related but seperate issue cant get my envelopes to stop effecting verts, for some reason i can only expand their effect, never diminish it. so here is the questions that I pose to you 3ds wizkids:
a)how can i get armor to move with limbs without it letting look like its soft bodied.(this is a lowpoly game model)
b)how do you adjust an envelope in the skin modifier so that it will effect LESS of the mesh?

thanks in advance (if anyone bothers to reply)

sorry again for asking a question that was probably answered already in the tuts.

omega3d
05-12-2006, 06:06 AM
If I understand what you are saying, you are trying to skin the armor. I do not know the specs of your armor, but if I had the armor I am thinking of at this moment, I would link the chest plate to the chest bone instead of skinning. If it is the net armor, I would use "skin wrap" modifier to make it move correctly.

omega3d
05-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Sorry, to answer your second question about the envelopes... I hardly use envelopes, I just use the vertPaint and selecting and doing the slider for the weight values... This works extremely well especially with game models. Envelopes should be able to increase and decrease in weight upon the verts with the expansion and compression of the radius of the envelope cross section... Maybe your bone scale is off and that is effecting the overall effectiveness of the bone.

JHN
05-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Ok, have made a charachter, he has armor. This armor morphs when the bones controlling the limbs attached to the armor move, (the way they would if they were part of his body...because they are). also in a related but seperate issue cant get my envelopes to stop effecting verts, for some reason i can only expand their effect, never diminish it. so here is the questions that I pose to you 3ds wizkids:
a)how can i get armor to move with limbs without it letting look like its soft bodied.(this is a lowpoly game model)
b)how do you adjust an envelope in the skin modifier so that it will effect LESS of the mesh?

thanks in advance (if anyone bothers to reply)

a) have you tried an attachement constraint.. this will attach an object to an other objects face.
b) Looks like you have the new feature "weight all vertices" on... when on it will weight all verts no matter what... so turning it off will help you see where the weights from the envelopes will go. It's somewhat a handy feature for quick and dirty work, but mostly you should turn it of.

Hope that helps!
-Johan

bonkanailios
05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
thanks guys!

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.